possibly going back to cts-v and selling my e55
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, possibly going back to cts-v and selling my e55 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello all, I am a prior cts-v owner and I am strongly considering getting another one but a 2009 or ...
    87GN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V sedan A6, 2004 E55 AMG

possibly going back to cts-v and selling my e55

Hello all, I am a prior cts-v owner and I am strongly considering getting another one but a 2009 or newer of course. I had a silver 2004 V back in late 2004 till 2006 while I was staying in Ocala, FL with my Dad bc he was sick and hung with a few guys from this forum at the time so some of you may remember me (Brian). Anyway, that car had headers, cold air, a tune and a few little tricks (tuned from a guy in tampa who was one of the best at that time and might still be...cant remember his name but maybe Jeremy?) The car went 12.80's with street tires which wasn't too bad at the time for minimal work done.

I now have an E55 which I love but with only a tune I just seem to have to go faster! I lose too many races (I hang with a bunch of guys similar to the Ocala crew) bc all the guys have work done. I have hesitated to do the work bc finding the right guy to do the work is difficult here right now and most importantly...the cost is ridiculous in modding these e55's. Aside from the huge loss in value after modding I was considering upgrading shortly anyway so here I am to ask a few questions.

First, how hard is it to find a white V sedan 2009-2012? I only want a 4 door and almost every car I see is black so I would rather not black. If there is a black one with mods done already to my liking for the right price...I will live with black.

Secondly, I kind of know the modding situation of these cars from the Mercedes forum as some of the guys have had or have both AMG and V's but I would like to now first hand from you guys. I want to be very safe and not chance blowing anything up or breaking. What does it cost to get these cars to go in the low, low 11 second range even high 10's? I am guessing that it is headers, tune and pulley and off you go! How necessary are the headers?

Next, who does this work in New York, Long Island and who is the tuner on LI or do we send the computers out?

Next, anyone know of any V's for sale locally to me Long Island new York preferably one that already has the work done but I am not expecting that. I am sure I will think of more but thanks in advance for now.

One more thing...I would only want an automatic...(I have many old muscle cars and they are mostly sticks so I am tired of shifting) so...are there any issues with the automatic cars and what are the differences between 2009 and lets say 2011-2012 cars...anything major? Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: possibly going back to cts-v and selling my e55

84 views and not one reply yet! WOW...on the benz forum I would have 10 replies from people who want to help by now!

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

There's a thread with modifications and times/power. It will take nothing to get into the 11s, as many stockers will go low 12's on street tires; like mine. It will be easy to find what you want out there too.

bbradyc5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Night and day on how cheap and simple modding the V is versus a Merc. Few thousand bucks in parts and tune you can be at upper 500's near 600 rwhp. Good set of DR's to hook and good air at the track you are in low 11's and some are in the 10's. white V's fairly easy to find. These drive trains are solid and can run these power levels quite reliably (all in the tune). Even when something does go wrong, V's are quite inexpensive to repair relative to your E55.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by bbradyc5 View Post
    Night and day on how cheap and simple modding the V is versus a Merc. Few thousand bucks in parts and tune you can be at upper 500's near 600 rwhp. Good set of DR's to hook and good air at the track you are in low 11's and some are in the 10's. white V's fairly easy to find. These drive trains are solid and can run these power levels quite reliably (all in the tune). Even when something does go wrong, V's are quite inexpensive to repair relative to your E55.
    I dunno if I'd say that, the twin turbo mercs, 2012 on up with the 5.5 can put out over 700 hp with just a tune, the older ones were a different story. To the O/P why don't you save your money and get a new 2014 AWD E63 AMG, they are going to be amazing, same motor but with AWD they do 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds and I've yet to see specs on the quarter mile stock but I'd guess a half second faster, my car will do a 12, you'd be looking at 11.5. You do a tune on one of those and it would easily be into the mid 10's on street tires. I'm tempted to trade my car in for one of those even though I just got it, but I'd probably loose too much on the trade in.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    save your money

get a new 2014 AWD E63 AMG

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 01-02-2012):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
    fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
    Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
    5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
    Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
    A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
    A tad better mileage than the auto but probably not significant
    About 32 more RWHP than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
    About 27 more RWTQ than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
    About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
    No remote start feature
    Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
    electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
    torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios: (1 1st:
    4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
    final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
    Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
    A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
    A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
    About 32 less RWHP than an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
    About 27 less RWTQ that an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
    About 95 lbs heavier that the manual
    Remote start feature
    Normal mode initially starts in 1st gear, then starts in 2nd gear thereafter
    Manual mode starts in 1st gear always

About 1 in every 6 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

Brian:
    I love my '09 CTS-V.
    A lot of people rag on the autos (A6) but I wouldn't have mine any other way.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    These cars were designed for high speed road courses and not for drag racing; they are certainly quick but they weigh 4200#, so what's the point? A funny car based on the "V"? Now that's humorous. Ha ha!

Jud
    Jud

V-Horse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

To 1997BlackETC my wife had a late model MBenz nice boring soft suspension if you like that kind of ride everyone kept saying "watch out you're going to have a lot of electrical problems" and they were absolutely correct, glad we got rid of it. Have fun with your Mercy!

It took you guys a long time to respond but I must say...thanks for all the info. I just bought Jesse's white 2011 auto from Indiana (I posted a thread about it) and it has every option and has some work done too. If anyone knows anything about this particular then please chime in or send me a PM or email to allmyclassics@live.com Hope it is a great car...the guy selling it seems very cool and fair. I think it is a good one. He says that he has $6k in trans work...can anyone possibly elaborate on that? Is it needed, what could have been done bc the now seller has no clue! Thanks for all your responses and now that I bought one (deposit sent this morning) I will become a supporting member.

To the guy who said that finding a white one would be easy! Not a 4 door!

The guy about the benz turbo cars: I want a 2012 bi-turbo but they are soooooo expensive still $70k for used and yes a tune they are making 680hp 560 or so to the wheels. Modding my benz is expensive and then worry about reliability (although they are quite reliable) but IF something breaks...LOOK OUT!

2014 all wheel drive...forget it...way too much money...and I don't save money!!!! LMAO....Seriously though..I don't have any loans and don't plan on any... all cash baby. Having the benz still and $45k is about my limit right now along with all my old cars! Gonna have to sell the grand national though...love it but it is worth some dough and my friend keeps hounding me to sell it so it will be going bye bye!

One more thing: I love the benz...the torque is really cool but on warm ass days...wow...what a difference. My car has cold air...car is a little lighter than most and a tune. It runs pretty decent but not like the V after $2k (it already has headers, exhaust, cold air, trans upgrade and other stuff that the guy has no idea about) Yes I am rolling the dice! lol

RapidRob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^ I think the seller used to be a vendor here, and for awhile he was trying to sell A6 tranny upgrades, as well as a lot of other performance U/G's. He may have used this V2 as one of his test mules ... !? Anyway, could be you got a deal if the car works well and is reliable. You should probably have the car dyno tested to see what you actually have, power-wise ...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    ^^^ I think the seller used to be a vendor here, and for awhile he was trying to sell A6 tranny upgrades, as well as a lot of other performance U/G's. He may have used this V2 as one of his test mules ... !? Anyway, could be you got a deal if the car works well and is reliable. You should probably have the car dyno tested to see what you actually have, power-wise ...

Rob
    I did question whether it could have been a mule and would love to know if anyone knows about this tranny! Supposedly it is a really done tranny but what does that mean? I thought the tranny's were fine in these cars!

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by V-Horse View Post
    To 1997BlackETC my wife had a late model MBenz nice boring soft suspension if you like that kind of ride everyone kept saying "watch out you're going to have a lot of electrical problems" and they were absolutely correct, glad we got rid of it. Have fun with your Mercy!
    Well obviously you've never driven a 2012 on up E63AMG, the car is very stiff actually and about as far from cushy as you can get, put it in sport or sport plus mode and it's like a rock. People who have these models don't seem to have electrical problems either. All the forums on the late model E series are very quiet as far as problems go, they just don't have many issues. The steering seems very solid with great road feel. No doubt, I'm sure when pushed really hard the CTS-V does handle better, but not by much. I still have not found a road yet to really push this AMG I got a month ago, I did push the CTS-V I had hard a few times and it did infact handle like it was on rails but I did not care for the steering feel in that car nor the seating position, I just could not get comfortable, maybe smaller people can. I'm hoping when I put the Michelin Super Sport tires on my AMG that it will handle and ride even better. Right now it has the Conti's on it and no doubt they will probably be ready to be replaced (at least the rears) in another 5K miles or so, they currently have around 5K miles on them. These cars like to chew up tires with all the torque they produce. The power transfer is really eye opening, the V felt much more subtle and sedate.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    My car was only 20 grand more than my V and worth every penny of it. Cut down on some other expenses and get a AMG, it's worth it, you will thank me.

V-Horse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

First of all there's not too many car people so the fact you feel so passionate about your car is totally awesome I feel the same about my V. I could be wrong but I think the reason this Cadillac forum was set up was to sell Cadillac cars and not MB? That being said I'm very happy with my V sedan with a 6M, I was specifically looking for a manual (MB) doesn't even offer a manual and I love the way the V rides. I also like the fact I don't see too many V's, so it's very/way more exclusive and has that 'cool' factor without being snobbish. Lastly the $20 grand (in my case it would be like $40 grand) can buy me a nice used low milage Viper so thanks but no thanks. Go Cadillac!

I have to agree with the e63 wagon guy, I rarely hear of electrical problems with the 2003 and newer AMG's (these are the only ones I know about) and actually don't think I have ever heard of any. As far as ride goes...the Mercedes rides better hence the handling edge going to caddy. I had a 2004 ctsv and it was an incredible handling 4 door car. At any rate...I am worried about this particular car being a mule and would love to have some more feedback on that issue if anyone knows.

The benz is much more comfortable then the V and I am a big guy but I will sacrifice myself! lol Still love the V's as I am a big fan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.