Acceleration vibration at speeds above 50mph
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Acceleration vibration at speeds above 50mph in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi there, I leased a 2013 CTS-V Coupe last Friday and I got to say I love the car, but ...
    vandammeskillz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe

Acceleration vibration at speeds above 50mph

Hi there,

I leased a 2013 CTS-V Coupe last Friday and I got to say I love the car, but one thing has me worried/scratching my head. When I drive the car above 50mph on the highway and I accelerate, there is a noticeable vibration coming through the gas pedal which also slightly manifests on the steering wheel. The vibration is not very consistent as sometimes i seem to not get vibration but other times i do, could be my imagination, so i'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. But I can say this for sure, there is definitely a vibration. I've driven Mercedes and BMWs and never experienced such thing so i have to say this is not normal.

The interesting thing is that for some reason if i'm traveling with a passenger the vibration issue is not there, or so it seems to me. I haven't tested this theory fully yet but i will. I brought the car to the dealership suggesting it might be wheels/tire related and the service manager told me he can't touch the car until i put at least 500 miles on it. Maybe it needs some break in? I don't know. Long story short i took the manager on a test run so he could experience the issue and the car made me look silly because it accelerated smooth the whole time which emphasizes my passenger theory.

I'm really not liking this issue at all. What do you guys think this could be? I'd love to get some feedback so that i may take it back to the service department.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Re: Acceleration vibration at speeds above 50mph

Vibration coming through the gas pedal is puzzling, since it's a throttle-by-wire system... Hmm. Perhaps the whole firewall is vibrating and that's what you feel in the pedal and steering wheel. Automatic or manual? Is it/are you downshifting or lugging top gear?

hakalugi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

speed specific vibration - check your tire pressures (iphone app and real life pressure gauge). tire balance?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Car blows motor driving home from dealership through no fault of owner, car has 20 hypothetical total miles but Service Manager says he can't touch it until it has 500 miles. Find another dealer. That is ridiculous.
    Jinx and RapidRob like this.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. The coupe is auto. Yes, is more like the front/ firewall part of the vehicle vibrates, a bit like a hopping type of vibration, but i definitely feel it more on the gas pedal and a bit on the steering wheel. I will check my tire pressure as suggested. What do you recommend as optimal pressure on this car? No i have not had it balanced. Just drove it off the lot a few days ago. Am thinking the car is supposed to have been balanced? I guess i can request to have it balanced after i put another 200 miles on it. Trapspeed i agree with you, it sucks!

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

What speed(s) does this occur, or is it all the time?

Rob

Edit: Never mind, I just re-read the title .... sounds like it could be vibrations from a front wheel out of balance ...

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    What speed(s) does this occur, or is it all the time?

Rob

Edit: Never mind, I just re-read the title .... sounds like it could be vibrations from a front wheel out of balance ...
    Yes, I want to say it starts above 50 but it kind of becomes more prominent if am around 65-70 and i step on the gas.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by vandammeskillz View Post
    Hi there,

I leased a 2013 CTS-V Coupe last Friday and I got to say I love the car, but one thing has me worried/scratching my head. When I drive the car above 50mph on the highway and I accelerate, there is a noticeable vibration coming through the gas pedal which also slightly manifests on the steering wheel. The vibration is not very consistent as sometimes i seem to not get vibration but other times i do, could be my imagination, so i'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. But I can say this for sure, there is definitely a vibration. I've driven Mercedes and BMWs and never experienced such thing so i have to say this is not normal.

The interesting thing is that for some reason if i'm traveling with a passenger the vibration issue is not there, or so it seems to me. I haven't tested this theory fully yet but i will. I brought the car to the dealership suggesting it might be wheels/tire related and the service manager told me he can't touch the car until i put at least 500 miles on it. Maybe it needs some break in? I don't know. Long story short i took the manager on a test run so he could experience the issue and the car made me look silly because it accelerated smooth the whole time which emphasizes my passenger theory.

I'm really not liking this issue at all. What do you guys think this could be? I'd love to get some feedback so that i may take it back to the service department.
    Hello vandammeskillz,

I did some research and the dealer is correct, if the issue is wheel alignment or balance related it would be after 500 miles before they were able to do anything under warranty. I am glad to hear that you love the car except for the issue you are experiencing with it. If you would like to discuss your concerns more, please private message us. If you are not able to private message us because you are new to the forum, you can also email us at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time. I will be looking forward to assisting you with your concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    I did some research and the dealer is correct, if the issue is wheel alignment or balance related it would be after 500 miles before they were able to do anything under warranty.
    I'm trying to type this without it sounding like a joke, but I'm serious.

I can not figure out why the wait period is 500 miles. I can understand the car needs some miles to settle but what if ALL of the wheel weights fell off and the dealer says "Nope, can't put wheel weights on because you have to drive it 475 miles more to see if it really was the complete lack of wheel weights that is causing the problem.".

Or, "Nope. Can't tighten up your loose tie-rod because you have to drive it 475 more miles to see if you really needed that tie-rod tightened. Yeah the lock nut is completely loose but we need 475 more miles.".

So can someone tell me why the wait period is 500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Malibu View Post
    I'm trying to type this without it sounding like a joke, but I'm serious.

I can not figure out why the wait period is 500 miles. I can understand the car needs some miles to settle but what if ALL of the wheel weights fell off and the dealer says "Nope, can't put wheel weights on because you have to drive it 475 miles more to see if it really was the complete lack of wheel weights that is causing the problem.".

Or, "Nope. Can't tighten up your loose tie-rod because you have to drive it 475 more miles to see if you really needed that tie-rod tightened. Yeah the lock nut is completely loose but we need 475 more miles.".

So can someone tell me why the wait period is 500 miles.
    I second that. I would like to know.

----------

UPDATE: I took the car today for another road test to really pin point the vibration. I took my friend with on the passenger side to test my passenger theory i had. I was able to consistently replicate the vibration and my friend acknowledged it as well, it is subtle though. So my passenger theory does not stand.

So, i drive the car to about 65, all is well no vibrations at this point except a bit of rough road feedback which is not present at lower speeds. Don't know if that's normal, never experienced that in the Mercedes and BMWs I've driven and BMW is known to let you feel the road but is a constant, very sporty, solid road feel. Nothing to do with what am experiencing.

Then, i gas the car not much but generously and the car vibrates in a bouncy way, i don't know how else to describe it. It almost feels like this manifests when i ask the car more torque at these speeds/gear. If i step off the accelerator the bounciness dissipates a bit but does not go away completely.

Hello Club Malibu,

I apologize if the way I worded the statement made it sound like if the vehicle has an issue with the wheel that it can only be addressed after 500 miles. That is not the case. The wait period is 500 miles if the issue is alignment or balance related only.

Hello vandammeskillz,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the situation. I am sorry to hear that your passenger theory doesn’t stand, but I am glad that you are able to recreate the concern with a passenger in the vehicle consistently. Hopefully you will be able to recreate this with someone from the dealership in the vehicle as well. Have you looked into bringing it back to them now that you can consistently recreate it with someone in the passenger seat? Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Sounds like the tranny lugging causing driveline rattle you are feeling right near the mounting areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Club Malibu,

I apologize if the way I worded the statement made it sound like if the vehicle has an issue with the wheel that it can only be addressed after 500 miles. That is not the case. The wait period is 500 miles if the issue is alignment or balance related only.

Hello vandammeskillz,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the situation. I am sorry to hear that your passenger theory doesn’t stand, but I am glad that you are able to recreate the concern with a passenger in the vehicle consistently. Hopefully you will be able to recreate this with someone from the dealership in the vehicle as well. Have you looked into bringing it back to them now that you can consistently recreate it with someone in the passenger seat? Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Hi Gregory,

I will be bringing the car in to the dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully i can recreate it and the issue could be looked into.

Regards,

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Sounds like the tranny lugging causing driveline rattle you are feeling right near the mounting areas.
    Could be it. Right after work i took the car on an open, pretty deserted, road close to where i live to really experience this vibration. Here is the thing, i think the vibration manifests wayyy before hitting 70. When i said a few posts back "So, i drive the car to about 65, all is well no vibrations" i meant a prominent sputtering-like type of vibration does not manifest below 70 but i feel a small, consistent, cell-phone-in-your-pocket type of vibration all through the gas pedal and steering wheel at what is essentially cruising speeds! I've been thinking if is the road i've been driving on but it just can't be because this small vibration manifests at a very specific frequency and for a long time. Is this normal guys? I would expect a Cadillac to drive really smooth, even this V8 beast.

Now, if i take the car up to about 70 and then i give it considerable gas for about 8-9 seconds, long enough to feel it, then the car does a very weird sputtering-like type of vibration where it kind of jerks a bit. It almost reminds me back when i used to own a Buick that had a similar type of vibration/jerk and it was just a plug misfiring but am pretty sure this is not the case here because if i really step on the gas, supercharger comes on, and let it haul @$$ it does so well.

Quote Originally Posted by vandammeskillz View Post
    Hi Gregory,

I will be bringing the car in to the dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully i can recreate it and the issue could be looked into.

Regards,
    Hello vandammeskillz,

Thank you for keeping me updated on when you are taking your vehicle to the dealership. I will be out of the office tomorrow, but I will make sure I check back on Sunday to see the outcome of the visit. I hope you are able to recreate the concern while you are there as well. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Ok, I just came back from the visit to the dealership. Took the car out with the service manager again, i think he's the manager forgot to ask him :-). Anyways I was able to consistently replicate the issue with him. He agrees, there's definitely a, what he describes as almost like a "fluttering" under the circumstances i put the car in. Today i was able to pay even more attention to the parameters of the vehicle when it does this and these are as follows: I bring the car slowly up to 70mph then i step on the gas, not floored, as the supercharger comes on and boosts the car the car does this skipping, "fluttering" like type of vibration. This "fluttering", dissipates as the supercharger disengages. Here is the thing, I do not experience this when i give the car gas and the booster engages coming out of a stand still or going pretty slow, 30-40mph. It only happens when am around highway speeds which makes me thing it has to do with the booster giving the car torque on 6th gear.

Here is the more interesting part. We drove back to the dealer and him and I decided it will be a good idea to take another V Coupe on a test run and submit it to the same test. We did, and guys, the other CTS-V Coupe flutters under the same circumstances! What i did notice on the other V was the fact that i had no cellphone type of vibration the more speed i gave it, so my car might be suffering from many symptoms, maybe is also not balanced right.

But wow oh wow, this blows my mind. Does anybody out there with a 2013 CTS-V coupe experience the same thing? Wouldn't have guessed in a million years a $70k car would have such an issue. This has me really bombed out because i kind of see where this is going, this one might get written off as "just the way the car drives". If i have to live with this, it is really disappointing on the quality that Cadillac has put into this vehicle. I turned in a Benz to drive this caddy. This Cadillac is worth twice as much as what i was driving and it is miles away from the ride quality i had on the Benz. Unbelievable!

Anyways, the manager told me the CTS V expert is on vacation for a week and asked me if it was alright to bring it back when he's available. Obviously i agreed, i just want this car to drive as is supposed to. We'll, see what happens in a week
    Club Malibu likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.