How do you remove the steering wheel?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How do you remove the steering wheel? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi guys, I have the optional $300 suede feel steering wheel and decided to go back to the original smooth ...
    Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

How do you remove the steering wheel?

Hi guys,

I have the optional $300 suede feel steering wheel and decided to go back to the original smooth leather wheel instead. I liked the optional suede-micro fiber type feel but prefer the smooth leather. I am looking for instructions for removal of the steering wheel and hope the air bag does not go off in the process. if it's not that hard, then I will try to find a good leather wheel to replace it.

Service manual diagrams would be helpful. Thanks for looking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Re: How do you remove the steering wheel?

Here you go. Instructions to disable airbag, remove airbag and remove steering wheel. If you replace the steering wheel with an aftermarket how do you plan to control your cruise control?

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    First, disconnect the neg battery cable so the airbag doesn't fire. Your other option is to pull the airbag fuses.

The service manual is sparse without helpful pics.

It then says to remove the airbag. There is a hole on either side of the steering wheel. Turn the wheel so one is 'up' and use a blunt tool to press in on the spring release. Repeat for the other hole. Then pull the airbag away. The wheel comes off with removing a single bolt in the center. When replacing it's torqued to 22 ft lbs. the manual just says 'disconnect wiring harnesses and transfer parts as needed' for the rest of the swap.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Personally, I'd give that airbag module thirty minutes to fully power down after disconnecting the juice. But that's just me.

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had to do this recently when I went from leather to suede.

I took apart the thing 3 times due to various things needed. I could guide you from memory pretty easily.

1. disconnect neg. terminal (I didn't wait but if you are the careful type, you should disconnect both terminals)
    2. use a punch to push into the holes on either side of the airbag, then pull out carefully
    3. this next part got me until i re-read someone's instructions. pull away from the airbag the two clips (they don't fully come out) with a flathead. then you can pull off the pink and white plugs
    4. now get a torx equipped ratchet and take off the main bolt in the middle
    5. once that is done just pull straight off
    6. go back in that order

Of note there was loctite on the bolt, I used some when I put it back in. Have any questions just post here.

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the help. This sounds trickier than I thought it would be. Sure isn't like the old school muscle cars is it?

Anyone want to do a partial trade for a suede wheel in really nice condition?

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

^haha we could have switched wheels awhile ago.

jwcalde13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    Thanks guys for the help. This sounds trickier than I thought it would be. Sure isn't like the old school muscle cars is it?

Anyone want to do a partial trade for a suede wheel in really nice condition?
    Moparman, do you still have the suede steering wheel?

Moparman4444, do you still have the suede steering wheel? I have a 2013 with 1,400 miles on it and would like to trade.

seeet vv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTSV, ESC. EXT

I removed my wheel within 900 miles of buying it new. I have the leather wheel I will trade for another micro material if anyone is interested. Located in NY and my wheel is an extra so I can send mine first.

I have a smooth leather wheel (manual trans) with only 1600 miles on it, perfect condition, and would like to trade for a suede wheel. I'm in So Ca, PM me if anyone is interested.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by seeet vv View Post
    I removed my wheel within 900 miles of buying it new. I have the leather wheel I will trade for another micro material if anyone is interested. Located in NY and my wheel is an extra so I can send mine first.
    Moparman4444 would probably be interesed if you have an automatic. I just got off the phone with him and we would have traded but he's got an auto and I have a manual trans. PM him, take care.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.