Question on driving skills
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Trapspeed
  • 1 Post By GMX322V S/C
  • 1 Post By spearfish25
  • 1 Post By Xaqtly
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Question on driving skills in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So this may be a stupid question but there are so many times I will be cruising around in the ...
    Chosenone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS V

Question on driving skills

So this may be a stupid question but there are so many times I will be cruising around in the V at just a random mild speed example 45 miles per hour and I decide I want to blow past another car in the slow lane and I tromp down on accelerator and the V doesnt seem to have instantaneous power it wants to build power up before kicking in then flying by. The first comments will probably be there is something wrong with my V but I can assure you it just came from getting the fluids changed and just a routine check up and car is running in peak shape. I had a 2006 mustang gt that only had like 300horsepower and it seemed like whenever you got on the gas the car got up and moved instantly. I have never had a car like this and have only had this car for about 8 months so can someone feel me on some driving tips or things to be aware of? Or does the V with all the horsepower and monster it is, not really have the quick get up pace when at cruising speeds?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Scooter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosenone
    So this may be a stupid question but there are so many times I will be cruising around in the V at just a random mild speed example 45 miles per hour and I decide I want to blow past another car in the slow lane and I tromp down on accelerator and the V doesnt seem to have instantaneous power it wants to build power up before kicking in then flying by. The first comments will probably be there is something wrong with my V but I can assure you it just came from getting the fluids changed and just a routine check up and car is running in peak shape. I had a 2006 mustang gt that only had like 300horsepower and it seemed like whenever you got on the gas the car got up and moved instantly. I have never had a car like this and have only had this car for about 8 months so can someone feel me on some driving tips or things to be aware of? Or does the V with all the horsepower and monster it is, not really have the quick get up pace when at cruising speeds?
    There are two factors involved here. First, get in the right gear for quick acceleration. You probably have an automatic and it's putting you in a low rpm cruising gear as quickly as possible to save gas. Second, there will always be a certain amount of lag while the supercharger creates pressure, then it takes off.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosenone
    Try that same move with the tranny in Sport mode, the gas pedal in the carpet and at 40 MPH.

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Re: Question on driving skills

Agree with scooter, your probably in 5th maybe even 6th. Manually downshift it to 3rd or 4th depending on your speed before you decide to pass. It will move instantly. The supercharger does not need to build, that is a turbo, and these days turbos spool up very fast with their lightweight fans.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Try that same move with the tranny in Sport mode and at 40 MPH.
    ...and TC/YC off = smoke...
    brian-nicola likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C
    ...and TC/YC off = smoke...
    Yes. Yes indeed.

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

Maximum torque 551 lb/ft occurs at 3800 rpm.
    Put the car in "manual" mode,
    Keep the car at around 3000-3500 rpm (which means stay at the lower gear at whatever speed you're at that will maintain said rpm),
    Now punch the throttle.

Tis should give you the sensation you're looking for...

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Yeah. You're not going to smoke tires in 5th or 6th. But yesterday my jaw dropped when I aggressively took off from a stop and noticed I left two lines of rubber on the road through 1st and 2nd gear despite no wheel spin. The engines torque and the grip from the extra wagon weight is enough to leave rubber trails without wheel spin. Unreal.
    brian-nicola likes this.

Bridgette2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS V SEDAN
    Quote Originally Posted by shchow
    Maximum torque 551 lb/ft occurs at 3800 rpm.
    Put the car in "manual" mode,
    Keep the car at around 3000-3500 rpm (which means stay at the lower gear at whatever speed you're at that will maintain said rpm),
    Now punch the throttle.

Tis should give you the sensation you're looking for...
    Haha!

brian-nicola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe Blk Diamond Edition

Keep a spare change of pants in the trunk....!

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25
    Yeah. You're not going to smoke tires in 5th or 6th. But yesterday my jaw dropped when I aggressively took off from a stop and noticed I left two lines of rubber on the road through 1st and 2nd gear despite no wheel spin. The engines torque and the grip from the extra wagon weight is enough to leave rubber trails without wheel spin. Unreal.
    Your tires spun...they just didn't squeal.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    The engines torque and the grip from the extra wagon weight is enough to leave rubber trails without wheel spin. Unreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Your tires spun...they just didn't squeal.
    This. You don't leave rubber trails without wheelspin. Think about it, if you left rubber trails without wheelspin there would be a neverending trail of rubber behind you all the time. And torque would have nothing to do with it, since it wouldn't be a result of the wheels spinning. You can have wheelspin without tire squeal, it happens to me all the time. It usually depends on how much wheelspin it is, and the kind of surface it happens on.
    LeeH likes this.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Disagree. You can have 'slip' without spin and leave rubber. The tire isn't doing a smoking spin but just has enough shear on the tread to take some rubber off without massive loss of grip. This is how you lose all the tread on your front tires during track days . In the end its probably just semantics and a matter of degree of traction loss.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

I tromp down on accelerator and the V doesnt seem to have instantaneous power it wants to build power up before kicking in then flying by
    Get a tune for the car.
    Mine has W4M order tune and with it I have to be careful not to put my food down at speed as it will spin tires right away.
    Driving in manual mode will help.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    ...The tire isn't doing a smoking spin but just has enough shear on the tread to take some rubber off without massive loss of grip...
    ^^^ = maximum acceleration

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.