Transmission Woes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Transmission Woes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Two days ago, I noticed that when driving in sport mode that the transmission was slipping when attempting to move ...
    RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Transmission Woes

Two days ago, I noticed that when driving in sport mode that the transmission was slipping when attempting to move from a dead stop. It would do this a few times until everything got nice and warm. It didn't do this in regular mode, probably because the transmission is in second gear in regular mode. Reverse did the same thing. Engine reved and then bang into gear. Any thoughts on this? Brought it to my usual dealer who told me to come back in 14 days which was their earliest appointment. I found that unacceptable so I called every dealer on Long Island until I found one who took the car right away and gave me a loaner. I only have 7k miles on the clock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Sounds like you'll get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    Sounds like you'll get a new one.
    I sure hope it's not that bad. But what can you do, its a machine and they do break once in a while. My folks had a Lexus RX with 20k miles that needed a new transmission. This is why I only lease these things. Who wants to own a car with these types of problems.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Transmission Woes

Different trans, but my regular CTS automatic has failed three times within the last 60 days.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Different trans, but my regular CTS automatic has failed three times within the last 60 days.
    Wouldn't that means it's time for a lemon law buy back?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret View Post
    Wouldn't that means it's time for tinman to finally buy a CTS-V wagon?
    Fixed.

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

A long time ago I had a tbird supercoupe that did something similar. A fluid change fixed the problem. The good thing about the problem is its not intermittent, so it should be easy to determine the problem and fix.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by stabie
    A long time ago I had a tbird supercoupe that did something similar. A fluid change fixed the problem. The good thing about the problem is its not intermittent, so it should be easy to determine the problem and fix.
    Supercoupe. Now there was a cool car when it hit the market! My dad drooled over every one he saw.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Wouldn't that means it's time for a lemon law buy back?
    Too late. Story of my life.

And, yes, it's half past the hour for me to buy a V wagon...with a manual.

The dealership just called me with an update on my car. They checked the fluid, and it was fine. They updated the transmission control module with the latest software. Problem still exists. They told me they called GM and were told to perform an additional test and it may be something called a sprag. To replace that, they need to drop the transmission. Assuming this does resolve the problem, I really think I am done with this car. It's a lease and I can try to break it. I don't want to go through this again in a few months.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

The dealership just called me with an update on my car. They checked the fluid, and it was fine. They updated the transmission control module with the latest software. Problem still exists. They told me they called GM and were told to perform an additional test and it may be something called a sprag. To replace that, they need to drop the transmission. Assuming this does resolve the problem, I really think I am done with this car. It's a lease and I can try to break it. I don't want to go through this again in a few months.
    Hello RGaret,

I apologize that the dealership wasn’t able to fix the problem regarding your transmission. Do you have an open case with our Customer Care team? If you do, could you send me your VIN and case number via private message? If you do not, could you provide me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with so I can look into this situation for you? Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hello RGaret,

I apologize that the dealership wasn’t able to fix the problem regarding your transmission. Do you have an open case with our Customer Care team? If you do, could you send me your VIN and case number via private message? If you do not, could you provide me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with so I can look into this situation for you? Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Greg,

The dealership has been great so far. Keeping me informed and doing everything they can to resolve my problem. My frustration is related to the following:

1. This car has only 7,100 miles on it, and is a year and 3 months old
    2. It now needs some very complex and difficult repairs to a major component. It's not as if the radio isn't working or my NAV quit. We're talking about the transmission!
    3. I am sure the dealer will get it fixed, but for how long will it last? I have lost confidence in the car
    4. I am keeping track of the days in the shop. If it reaches 30 I will pursue a lemon law buy back
    5. In the meantime I will see what I can do about trading it in or breaking my lease

uptownvinc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTV-V
    Quote Originally Posted by RGaret
    Two days ago, I noticed that when driving in sport mode that the transmission was slipping when attempting to move from a dead stop. It would do this a few times until everything got nice and warm. It didn't do this in regular mode, probably because the transmission is in second gear in regular mode. Reverse did the same thing. Engine reved and then bang into gear. Any thoughts on this? Brought it to my usual dealer who told me to come back in 14 days which was their earliest appointment. I found that unacceptable so I called every dealer on Long Island until I found one who took the car right away and gave me a loaner. I only have 7k miles on the clock.
    How bad is it? Can u explain in more detail? Cuz mine do too, but considered normal due to high torque

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Greg,

The dealership has been great so far. Keeping me informed and doing everything they can to resolve my problem. My frustration is related to the following:

1. This car has only 7,100 miles on it, and is a year and 3 months old
    2. It now needs some very complex and difficult repairs to a major component. It's not as if the radio isn't working or my NAV quit. We're talking about the transmission!
    3. I am sure the dealer will get it fixed, but for how long will it last? I have lost confidence in the car
    4. I am keeping track of the days in the shop. If it reaches 30 I will pursue a lemon law buy back
    5. In the meantime I will see what I can do about trading it in or breaking my lease
    Hello RGaret,

I am happy to hear that your dealership has been great throughout the process by keeping you informed as well as trying their hardest to address the issue. I completely understand your frustration with the vehicle because of the concern with a major component. I would like to look into the situation on your behalf. If you could provide me with the information I requested from my previous post in a private message, I would be able to do that. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Not uncommen for any manufacture really...seems like half the 1-2 year old Audis, BMW, MB cars on eBay are manufacture buyback cars that were fixed and then wholesaled to some used car dealer.

I say, don't worry about it, like you said, its a lease. Burn the tires off whatever CTS or ATS loaner you got in the meantime to feel better. They will hopefully put a new trans in, and your problem will be fixed. Next time, buy the manual.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.