CTS V Sedan and Coupe - Rattles Creaks and Other Noises - Do Your Cars Have Them?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS V Sedan and Coupe - Rattles Creaks and Other Noises - Do Your Cars Have Them? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello Everyone- I am seriously considering a 2013 V Coupe and would like to hear real input on have many ...
    caddyhills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

CTS V Sedan and Coupe - Rattles Creaks and Other Noises - Do Your Cars Have Them?

Hello Everyone-

I am seriously considering a 2013 V Coupe and would like to hear real input on have many creaks, rattles, general noises, etc. people are experiencing with their cars.

I have a 2011 CTS 3.6 and the car makes several creaking noises quite a bit from various areas. I have reservations of going
    back into the same type of car, albeit $70K with more power (that may even heighten these problems), to have these build
    quality issues.

Your community input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Re: CTS V Sedan and Coupe - Rattles Creaks and Other Noises - Do Your Cars Have Them?

I think if you skip the sunroof you will get less creaks and cracks. My V sedan seems to make more noise in winter.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    The only noise from my v wagon is a creak/rattle from the door trims. I was in a courtesy SRX and it had the exact same creaks. The radio helps and sometimes they just don't happen. I think a couple shims between panels will help. Going to try it when I have time.

I think any car regardless of price will have its flaws. You just get more upset by them as the purchase price increases. If I bought the $550k RR Phantom I sat in today, I'd be pissed if anything creaked, even once.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    A little rattle from the console when I hit a pothole or rough patch of road. Otherwise, no problems.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    I'll take a creaking, popping interior with a solid, proven monster power train any day. I've learned to appreciate them as character more than anything. I can tell you this: no one I've taken on a ride even heard a creak over their "holy shits!", I'll guarantee you that!
    Club Malibu, shchow, FLTRI and 1 others like this.

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Re: CTS V Sedan and Coupe - Rattles Creaks and Other Noises - Do Your Cars Have Them?

Just from the entire console. It's worse than the squeaks and groans in my 1986 Dodge Aspen. Dealer has tried to fix it but to no avail. I give up. I can't make any excuses for a $71,000 car no matter how it performs.

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Don't forget about the 551ft/# of torque, that will stress any body structure. If I recall correctly, no production M or AMG developed in 2008 (when the V2 was developed) had to handle those kind of forces. So if you want to be critical about squeaks, etc., remember that. FYI, my 2009, and other V owners' cars on this forum, have none of these, so I question the sincerity of the whiny complaints in that area.

Jud

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I drove my 09 V for 45k miles. By the time I traded for my V wagon, I had no major rattles. From day one, the center console creaked when the material was compressed. My V wagon does the same. This is one of the few visible signs of cheapness of the interior IMHO.

Frankly, for a supercar like this to have such relatively minor issues is amazing to me.

I would say, buy with confidence. The car is generally reliable and I had few problems with mine. I was confident enough in the platform to buy a second current gen V after four years.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

- ^^^ - +3! Same here, quiet, solid, (and fast). Sorry that there are apparently a few others that are not however ... !?

Rob

kameau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe, Black Diamond Tricoat 6MT

I've had no noises other than tires spinning and the roar of the engine!
    IBMike likes this.

embassured is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

For starters, I'm fairly sensitive to sounds that I can't seem to fix...

I'll 2nd the center console with creaks from the armrest through the ashtray, which seems to be worse in the summer when the materials expand due to heat. The sunroof also has some minor creaks, which the dealer fixes and then they return in 6 or so months. FWIW, these noises are minor/sporadic and are not any different than what I have experienced in prior cars - including Lexus, Infiniti, Jag & Merc.

Again, these are minor issues that always seem to be present in every one of the 26 cars I've owned.

Inclusive of power, price, repair & maintenance costs, I can't find a better value than the V. I've had the car for two years, the longest of any yet, and can't find a reason to find a replacement even though I've been eyeing a XFR.

Good luck,
    Eric
    shchow and IBMike like this.

NEPA_Z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 69 ELD, 72 CDV, 77 Sev, 89 Brg, 92 SDV, 94 FWB, 02 STS, 10 V

Hi, all. I thought I'd reply to this because squeaks and rattles drive me nuts so it's an area of concern in any car and really affects my perception of what I'm driving. I also drive a lot of miles so it's like accelerated-life testing in some ways. I had an old FWD STS and whatever its front-heavy dynamic shortcomings, that car was quiet and solid without squeaks or rattles even at 74k miles. I then had an 07 335i which loosened up somewhat from new and by 40k had some ticks and tocks from the headliner / sunroof and a few dash sounds plus a squeak from the seatbelt anchor - kinda subtle, nothing obnoxious, but not perfect, either. I liked that car a lot but traded it for a loaded 09 CTS because I loved the styling. From the start it had some sunroof creaks I addressed with some weatherstrip dressing (it didn't need constant reapplication like in my Audis). Then there's the console - ugh. It never made noise going down the road, but it made HIDEOUS, cheap noises if you leaned on it with your knee or just touched its various parts. The solution was an hour's worth of disassembly and application of tiny dabs of white lithium grease at the contact points. I took out the lid and compartment, the side wood pieces, the shifter surround, and the breastplate-thing with the controls since it was also creaky following instructions found online (although under warranty, I didn't expect the dealer would have done as thorough a job so I dove in). After the application and with a day or two in the sun to distribute the tiny amount of grease, it was like a different car - absolutely free of annoying noise from the center console from there on out (yes, the instrument bezel chrome trims make stupid cheap noises if you touch them, and the grease might have fixed those, too - but I never had any reason to touch them so I left 'em alone). I kept that CTS until about 68k and was always happy with its solidity - no noises from the dash, the sunroof, the headliner, the B-pillar trims, door panels, seats, etc.; very satisfying. I live in PA but drive a lot in NJ and NY on atrocious roads and I couldn't fault the car's solidity. I traded it for another 335i, this time a 2011, as I'd missed the turbo(s). It was much like the first - really quiet until about 40k when small noises appeared, including the headliner and the driver seatbelt B-pillar anchor / spool / whatever's in there. That went in favor of a CPO 550i, which I only had a ludicrously short time because it seemed trouble-prone. It had (28k?) miles and was very solid except a few noises from the zillion-way seats and one in the steering column I might have had to chase if I kept it. It went in favor of a CTS-V over which I'm pretty giddy. It had the same sunroof creak needing attention as my 09 when I got it, but the console seems better than my first one - maybe they improved things? - and otherwise at 11k miles I'm very happy with how quiet / solid it is. It's worth noting that both CTS's are far ahead of both of my Audis, admittedly from years back but both bought new and both with more creaks & judders from the door surrounds & weatherstripping than I could ever fix. I think the Caddys are quite competitive with my BMWs in this regard, even the $72k-when-new 550i. You could certainly say it's Mickey Mouse to have to 'fix' the center console on a new car, but on balance I think the car's pretty well done. My worst car for cheap sounds was my GTI, in which nearly every interior piece looked and felt expensive yet would make awful cheap rattles as miles piled up, especially in cold weather. I loved driving it but only with the stereo on. Cheers!
    Jinx and IBMike like this.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

^^^^
    Thanks for the comparison. Goes to show one that every brand has issues.

FinestKind-CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NEPA_Z View Post
    Hi, all. I thought I'd reply to this because squeaks and rattles drive me nuts so it's an area of concern in any car and really affects my perception of what I'm driving. I also drive a lot of miles so it's like accelerated-life testing in some ways. I had an old FWD STS and whatever its front-heavy dynamic shortcomings, that car was quiet and solid without squeaks or rattles even at 74k miles. I then had an 07 335i which loosened up somewhat from new and by 40k had some ticks and tocks from the headliner / sunroof and a few dash sounds plus a squeak from the seatbelt anchor - kinda subtle, nothing obnoxious, but not perfect, either. I liked that car a lot but traded it for a loaded 09 CTS because I loved the styling. From the start it had some sunroof creaks I addressed with some weatherstrip dressing (it didn't need constant reapplication like in my Audis). Then there's the console - ugh. It never made noise going down the road, but it made HIDEOUS, cheap noises if you leaned on it with your knee or just touched its various parts. The solution was an hour's worth of disassembly and application of tiny dabs of white lithium grease at the contact points. I took out the lid and compartment, the side wood pieces, the shifter surround, and the breastplate-thing with the controls since it was also creaky following instructions found online (although under warranty, I didn't expect the dealer would have done as thorough a job so I dove in). After the application and with a day or two in the sun to distribute the tiny amount of grease, it was like a different car - absolutely free of annoying noise from the center console from there on out (yes, the instrument bezel chrome trims make stupid cheap noises if you touch them, and the grease might have fixed those, too - but I never had any reason to touch them so I left 'em alone). I kept that CTS until about 68k and was always happy with its solidity - no noises from the dash, the sunroof, the headliner, the B-pillar trims, door panels, seats, etc.; very satisfying. I live in PA but drive a lot in NJ and NY on atrocious roads and I couldn't fault the car's solidity. I traded it for another 335i, this time a 2011, as I'd missed the turbo(s). It was much like the first - really quiet until about 40k when small noises appeared, including the headliner and the driver seatbelt B-pillar anchor / spool / whatever's in there. That went in favor of a CPO 550i, which I only had a ludicrously short time because it seemed trouble-prone. It had (28k?) miles and was very solid except a few noises from the zillion-way seats and one in the steering column I might have had to chase if I kept it. It went in favor of a CTS-V over which I'm pretty giddy. It had the same sunroof creak needing attention as my 09 when I got it, but the console seems better than my first one - maybe they improved things? - and otherwise at 11k miles I'm very happy with how quiet / solid it is. It's worth noting that both CTS's are far ahead of both of my Audis, admittedly from years back but both bought new and both with more creaks & judders from the door surrounds & weatherstripping than I could ever fix. I think the Caddys are quite competitive with my BMWs in this regard, even the $72k-when-new 550i. You could certainly say it's Mickey Mouse to have to 'fix' the center console on a new car, but on balance I think the car's pretty well done. My worst car for cheap sounds was my GTI, in which nearly every interior piece looked and felt expensive yet would make awful cheap rattles as miles piled up, especially in cold weather. I loved driving it but only with the stereo on. Cheers!
    Great info, good post EXCEPT

FOR

THE

LACK

OF

PARAGRAPHS

WHICH

MAKES

IT

SO

HARD

TO

READ!

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

It's a car.
    It's not a bank vault.
    Yes, it will get dings, paint chips, and some creaks and rattles.
    Consider it patina for the car.
    If things like this bothers you, don't ever drive a car.

Sorry, that seemed harsh.
    Stuff like this used to bother me.
    But I guess some of my neurochemistry equilibrated and I no longer obsess over things that...
    A) don't affect performance of the product,
    B) I can't fix.
    Club Malibu and IBMike like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.