Sometimes reverse grind or no reverse
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Club Malibu
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Sometimes reverse grind or no reverse in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Whats going on everybody? Im a proud owner of a 09 ctsv mt with 29,000 miles. The problem i have ...
    EDDIE80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 cts v sedan

Sometimes reverse grind or no reverse

Whats going on everybody? Im a proud owner of a 09 ctsv mt with 29,000 miles. The problem i have is this. Sometimes when i put the car in reverse it doesnt go into gear. Steps to put in reverse. Just clarification to make all aware of what im doing is correct. Lol
    1. Come to a complete stop
    2. Clutch in
    3. Shift to reverse while clutch is in
    now sometimes it grinds into gear. With the clutch fully engaged. Sometimes it doesnt go into gear at all. With the clutch fully engaged. It seems to be only when im on a slight incline wether downhill or uphill that this happens. On flat surface no incline the above issue stated doesnt happen. All other gears(1-6) no problems. I will be taking the car to the dealer for oil change and also all fluids will be changed. Thanks for input, opinions etc. Anyone had this happen to them before? Like to get some feedback before i take it to the dealer so i can have an idea of what it might be. Have them check it out. Transmission going bad? Thanks in advace for all feedback

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    If the car is moving at all trying to hit R this is bound to happen. If it's acting right in level pavement I don't think you've got a problem. Try this: go to 1-2-R. See if that clears it up.

EDDIE80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 cts v sedan

Re: Sometimes reverse grind or no reverse

Will do after work

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE80 View Post
    Whats going on everybody? Im a proud owner of a 09 ctsv mt with 29,000 miles. The problem i have is this. Sometimes when i put the car in reverse it doesnt go into gear. Steps to put in reverse. Just clarification to make all aware of what im doing is correct. Lol
    2. Clutch in
    now sometimes it grinds into gear. With the clutch fully engaged. Sometimes it doesnt go into gear at all. With the clutch fully engaged. It seems to be only when im on a slight incline wether downhill or uphill that this happens. On flat surface no incline the above issue stated doesnt happen. All other gears(1-6) no problems. I will be taking the car to the dealer for oil change and also all fluids will be changed. Thanks for input, opinions etc. Anyone had this happen to them before? Like to get some feedback before i take it to the dealer so i can have an idea of what it might be. Have them check it out. Transmission going bad? Thanks in advace for all feedback
    Hello EDDIE80,

I am glad you are a proud owner of your Cadillac Sorry for any trouble you are currently experiencing with the reverse function. I see you are seeking advice from the community and that Trapspeed was able to offer some insight on a possible resolution. Let me know the outcome of your situation and if you do end up taking it into the dealership. I can be contacted via private message if you need further assistance or would like to discuss any other concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE80 View Post
    2. Clutch in
    now sometimes it grinds into gear. With the clutch fully engaged. Sometimes it doesnt go into gear at all. With the clutch fully engaged. It seems to be only when im on a slight incline wether downhill or uphill that this happens. On flat surface no incline the above issue stated doesnt happen. All other gears(1-6) no problems.
    Reverse gears are probably straight-cut.... Many manual transmissions use the same gear for first and reverse, but engage an additional idler gear for reverse. SO - to avoid grinding, try shifting into first gear momentarily - THEN into reverse. PS Your car is acting normally....no need to consult dealer on this issue.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

09 V???

There is a TSB for all 2009's and half of 2010's out there to replace the entire shifter mechanism with a new part / new part number because the bolts in the mechanism can get loose and difficulty in getting into gears and the fix is to replace it with a new mechanism.

They have to drop the exhaust and the tranny to get to it.
    neuronbob and shchow like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.