Contemplating V purchase - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Contemplating V purchase in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; With as many miles as you are driving, the V or a V8 SUV isn't going to be double the ...
    RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Re: Contemplating V purchase

With as many miles as you are driving, the V or a V8 SUV isn't going to be double the fuel cost. The V can get 20-21 on the highway. The cars you are currently used to driving are not making 40+ mpg.

There is nothing wrong with driving a V in the winter or 20,000 miles per year. It doesn't make you a bad person to actually DRIVE the V as daily vehicle, and not treat it as a garage queen. The car was MADE to be driver, and it does so well. It does so, both as a fast car, and a comfortable car for long trips. Unless you live out in the country, with huge hills and roads that are not maintained, where the snow fall is going to dump 24" of snow regularly, getting some snow wheels/tires will work just fine.

I have driven 2 trans ams, 1 corevette, 2 SRT8 in the winter, and have had little to know trouble with any of them unless I left the summer tires on.....

The CTS-V might continue to hold value pretty well, but the year of the car is going to depreciate the value worse than the miles. In 2018, just the fact that the V is 8-10 years old is going to have taken its biggest hit. At that point the difference between having 80,000 miles and 150,000 miles on the car might not be insignificant, but its not like you're going to have left it in the garage with 3000 miles either....thats the ONLY way a 10 year old car is going to keep that value. I guess my point is, why buy any car if you're worried about putting miles on it? Cars are expensive to own, insure, keep fueled etc. Cars like the V make it more of a finacial stretch. In the end you don't buy a V, in order to save money on gas, or be practical.

My vote is, if you want a V get it. Throw some snow tires on it before you worry about another expensive car. Why get an SUV anyway, why not some small cheap FWD car? I think you will find that owning the V will make you not want to drive anything else anyway!

bnagel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

I got my 2011 V sedan with 35K on it for 43,750. There are cars that are out there. Just have to find em. I absolutely love the car. It is loaded too. No regrets in my purchase. Sounds like you already have done most of your homework. Good luck.
    Ben

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    To be fair, my wife has the CTS and I have the CTSV - I'd pick the V all day long any day of the week, for any weather. IMHO they are both similar in bad weather; driving style and tires make all the difference. Recaros are mandatory, and used prices can be pretty competitive so it's not a bad trade at all.

It's up to you as to how much that $20K (or $26K+ including interest, taxes and fees) is worth over the next few years relative to your situation. If you can wait a year to supercharge your existing CTS, then it makes me think you can wait a year to trade-up for the V.

My hesitation really comes from your driving requirements, your age and school situation: you're at a point in life where things will look vastly different in 1-2 years, so I hate to encourage people to take on debt payments for a depreciating asset that will only depreciate faster with the mileage, wear/tear and economy.

Good luck!
    Ive had a very good experience with my awd cts in the snow, but from the rwd rental cts's i've got, I wouldn't want to do it, which is why I would want the suv to play it safe for the winter and to haul the bigger stuff around.

I plan on driving the car into the ground, so for me to take on 20k over 4 years, is not an issue, and i understand that when I'm done with the cars they wont be worth anything, I'm buying the car to drive it and enjoy it, not to make money.

I really appreciate the positive post as most of the previous have been negative

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    With as many miles as you are driving, the V or a V8 SUV isn't going to be double the fuel cost. The V can get 20-21 on the highway. The cars you are currently used to driving are not making 40+ mpg.

There is nothing wrong with driving a V in the winter or 20,000 miles per year. It doesn't make you a bad person to actually DRIVE the V as daily vehicle, and not treat it as a garage queen. The car was MADE to be driver, and it does so well. It does so, both as a fast car, and a comfortable car for long trips. Unless you live out in the country, with huge hills and roads that are not maintained, where the snow fall is going to dump 24" of snow regularly, getting some snow wheels/tires will work just fine.

I have driven 2 trans ams, 1 corevette, 2 SRT8 in the winter, and have had little to know trouble with any of them unless I left the summer tires on.....

The CTS-V might continue to hold value pretty well, but the year of the car is going to depreciate the value worse than the miles. In 2018, just the fact that the V is 8-10 years old is going to have taken its biggest hit. At that point the difference between having 80,000 miles and 150,000 miles on the car might not be insignificant, but its not like you're going to have left it in the garage with 3000 miles either....thats the ONLY way a 10 year old car is going to keep that value. I guess my point is, why buy any car if you're worried about putting miles on it? Cars are expensive to own, insure, keep fueled etc. Cars like the V make it more of a finacial stretch. In the end you don't buy a V, in order to save money on gas, or be practical.

My vote is, if you want a V get it. Throw some snow tires on it before you worry about another expensive car. Why get an SUV anyway, why not some small cheap FWD car? I think you will find that owning the V will make you not want to drive anything else anyway!
    I get 20 on average in my current CTS, and used to get 16 on average in the old SRX. You don't buy a cadillac for gas mileage and there's a lot of people that don't understand that.

As for why not a small fwd car? just doesn't float my boat. I miss the space of the suv, and being able to toss large items in the back. I never had to borrow someone else's car with the suv. Now if I want to buy a decent size tv, I need to borrow a buddies car. I know, little problems, but they seem to occur more and more often so having a spare suv would be nice, and again, why not make it a cadillac also if I have the chance.

I can say right now that I am not buying the car thinking about what it is going to be worth when I put 100k miles on it myself. I'm going to drive it until its dead and then start from scratch. The situation I was in when I had to buy the CTS i have now was not the best to go out and buy a car. Out of nowhere I had to get something within 3 weeks and didn't have time try the market. Again, thanks for a positive post

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    If you want the V and can afford it then get it.

It's a great car and you won't be sorry.

Just drive the thing like it was meant to be driven and enjoy it while you can.

My only suggestion is to get the coupe if you don't have a family to drive around, it is a much better looking car if you ask me.

Yep I've said it before and I'll say it again life moves pretty fast if you don't stop and enjoy it you could miss it.

End of story.

Snotty Boom Body

Quote Originally Posted by bnagel View Post
    I got my 2011 V sedan with 35K on it for 43,750. There are cars that are out there. Just have to find em. I absolutely love the car. It is loaded too. No regrets in my purchase. Sounds like you already have done most of your homework. Good luck.
    Ben
    Thanks, that's roughly where some of the numbers where on the ones I looked at.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty Boom Body View Post
    If you want the V and can afford it then get it.

It's a great car and you won't be sorry.

Just drive the thing like it was meant to be driven and enjoy it while you can.

My only suggestion is to get the coupe if you don't have a family to drive around, it is a much better looking car if you ask me.

Yep I've said it before and I'll say it again life moves pretty fast if you don't stop and enjoy it you could miss it.

End of story.

Snotty Boom Body

Much appreciated. I probably would get the coupe as long as my golf bag fits in the truck. I dont think the back seat in my sedan has ever been used. my drivers seat is so far back noone can sit behind me anyway.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    Ive had a very good experience with my awd cts in the snow, but from the rwd rental cts's i've got, I wouldn't want to do it, which is why I would want the suv to play it safe for the winter and to haul the bigger stuff around.
    my wife's CTS is AWD - and granted we have relatively mild winters here - but IMHO the RWD is perfectly manageable, you just have to adjust your driving style. Many people like AWD for the feeling of invincibility; for me, the advantage is rare in city/suburban driving relative to the fuel, weight - and in your case the 2nd car - penalties.

I get 20 on average in my current CTS, and used to get 16 on average in the old SRX.
    I average ~18mpg at 75mph in my CTSV, and 16mpg combined right now with a heavy emphasis on stop-and-go, aggressive driving. The fuel hit for you may not be bad at all if you're only getting 20mph right now.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Would you guys justify me selling a "new" car for 2 used ones? Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

I really appreciate the positive post as most of the previous have been negative

----------

Again, thanks for a positive post
    So anything not telling you what you want to hear is considered "negative?" Why did you bother asking the question if you already had had all the answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    my wife's CTS is AWD - and granted we have relatively mild winters here - but IMHO the RWD is perfectly manageable, you just have to adjust your driving style. Many people like AWD for the feeling of invincibility; for me, the advantage is rare in city/suburban driving relative to the fuel, weight - and in your case the 2nd car - penalties.

I average ~18mpg at 75mph in my CTSV, and 16mpg combined right now with a heavy emphasis on stop-and-go, aggressive driving. The fuel hit for you may not be bad at all if you're only getting 20mph right now.

yeah, I didn't think the Gas would be a big deal, but probably go back up to around the amount i used to spend, maybe a little more, with the SRX. Thanks

Jinx is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

I miss the space of the suv, and being able to toss large items in the back. I never had to borrow someone else's car with the suv. Now if I want to buy a decent size tv, I need to borrow a buddies car. I know, little problems, but they seem to occur more and more often so having a spare suv would be nice, and again, why not make it a cadillac also if I have the chance.
    Clearly you need a CTS-V wagon and a spare set of wheels with snow tires

.Jinx
    wagonwagonwagonwagonwagonwagonwagon
    IBMike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMike View Post
    So anything not telling you what you want to hear is considered "negative?" Why did you bother asking the question if you already had had all the answers?
    No, I didn't really think yours was negative. The ones before you i didn't really care for. The "To be perfectly honest, I don't see you getting anywhere near $35k for your 2012. I think I was offered $30k for my 2012 coupe with 8,000 miles." wasn't appreciated, since i was already offered more. and also the "You sure you want to drive 30,000 miles a year in a CTS-V?" posts after those have contradicted them also. They kind of seemed like a "hater-ish" type of posts. Perhaps I had my guard up a little expecting some bad comments since it wouldn't be the first time people have make those kind of remarks out of jealousy and hate because they are not in the situation I am. Even when I went to purchase my CTS, the car salesman told me I don't deserve a cadillac because of my age, that a 21 year old should be driving a beat up camry. So i told him to take a walk, and purchased it elsewhere.

Maybe using "negative" and "positive" were the wrong words.

Regarding your post, I believe it was a non-biased answer, but I disagree with the numbers you put up, both in cost of the V, and how much more money for gas and insurance. it certainly wouldn't be 7-8k more than what I'm paying now.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Clearly you need a CTS-V wagon and a spare set of wheels with snow tires

.Jinx
    wagonwagonwagonwagonwagonwagonwagon

To be honest with you. I didnt even consider the wagon. maybe, just maybe, you're on to something.... haha Its really not a bad idea though. I think i need to get some local people's opinions about how they manage in the winter with rwd and stuff before I am comfortable with that. Definitely worth considering. Thanks
    IBMike likes this.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Regarding your post, I believe it was a non-biased answer, but I disagree with the numbers you put up, both in cost of the V, and how much more money for gas and insurance. it certainly wouldn't be 7-8k more than what I'm paying now.
    Your first post you mentioned you thought you could get a 10 or 11 V for $35-40k then agreed $43,750 was around the prices you were looking at, which is 10% more than $40k. Not sure when bnagel got his car; earlier in the year prices were much better, but right now finding a decent one with Recaros for under $45k would be a fantastic deal! Bt maybe sedans are going for less than coupes; all my searches are set for coupes, so I'm most familiar with them. I've been searching for a V (but not able to buy until I get home next month) since Oct, so I've seen all kinds of prices; there are deals that pop up, but you gotta get'em quick!

After reading posts from some of the folks who drive in winter conditions year round I'm just going to pick up a spare set of wheels with snow tires on them and drive mine year round... but I do have my Chevy Avalanche for when the white stuff gets deep in Colorado!

And yes, you're right, not sure WTH I was thinking when I said $7k for gas; I'll give myself a :hmm for that lol

Life's too short to not get the most out of it; if you can make it work, go for it!
    neuronbob and arw1510 like this.

Thanks. I just got an email from the guy at one of my dealers. They attached a list of about 10 V's either coupe or sedan, that are 2010-2011, with prices from 35-48, all with miles less than 50k. also had a list of 5 SRX V8's on it. He only had 1 V on his lot so some of these cars are a few states away. but he said that they would all be cars that they would purchase and with the right combo, would probably be able to get me both for 50-55, given that he is able to work the prices with the other dealers. So my numbers are close, but this certainly isn't going to happen overnight. I'm going to have him do another search for Wagons as Jinx has a very good point. Someone else also suggested for me to check out repo auctions and try to get lucky on a V or truck that someone else couldn't afford. Seems a little risky to me and I have no where to begin looking for those kind of things

As far as prices, a 2011 with 35-40k miles on it really is a lot of miles, and that is why the cost is in the low 40k's.

Most likely, only way you are going to find a CTS-V under $40k, is going to be a 2009-2010 sedan without Recaro, and at least 30,000 miles on the odometer. I'm not saying there isn't a diamond in the rough, so i don't think we need 5 posts about who got some smoking deal. I realize they are out there, but particularly if you have a limited search area, you need to be realistic.

Sedans cost the least. The Wagons and Coupe seem to cost the most. Coupe prices have come down a lot in the last 6months to a year.

I was somewhat lucky and found a 2011 with all options but the premium paint for $46,900 and only 17,000 miles in May. That wasn't a steal but its a good price. It also was actually built well into 2011 model year so has a lot of factory bumper to bumper on it - this was a factor in deciding on this particular car.

If you want a good chuck of warranty in a low mile (15k or less) V, there is no way you're not going to spend in the mid 40's. I think its worth it to spend a little more. While I was searching there were a number of V2 in the $35-40k range, but all of them were 2009-2010, higher miles, and some even had questionable titles. Watch out for fleet cars and warranty blocks. My guess is you're not going to pay the car off, most people wont, so you're better off paying a few thousand more for a car with a warranty that has options to keep up its resale. Its certainly possible the prices have continued to drop.

Until you have driven a RWD car with actual snow tires, and I don't me all-season performance tires, you really have no idea how much difference it will make. A RWD car with aggressive blizzaks and some weight in the back with out plow a 4x4 on all-season tires. AWD, and 4x4 will not help you on ice, they will not help you with a light car, and they will not help you if the tires are garbage. Most importantly, power to all wheels doesn't do shit to help you stop. The biggest limitation to driving sporty RWD cars with snow tires is snow depth because the cars are generally low to the ground. Again unless you live somewhere, where dealing with deep snow daily is a concern during the winter, the snow tires are all you need. In those cases maybe you do want 4-wheel drive and snow tires on top of it!

As far as storage, I drive the coupe. Obviously its not as roomy as an SUV; however, a lot of SUV's really don't have that much cargo space. Sure by the numbers they might, but the hatch design, dimensions, and actual usable space is quite different depending on the model. With the seat folded down, and the full back seat will fold down in the coupe, I can put a lot of stuff back there if I need to. Of course, I don't haul a bunch of home improvement goodies on a regular basis either, so for me there isn't an issue.

A V2 wagon, with a 6 speed manual could be the answer. They are very unique, and even though I don't think they are as cool as a coupe, they have a certain mystique about them, and some real life practicality. I would bet a V2 with some fresh Blizzaks and a couple of 50lb sand bags in the cargo area would do fine in the winter, and have plenty of space for whatever it is you need cargo space for. Particularly in that beautiful blue color, the Wagon makes for a pretty eye catching car. Instead of buying the second car, you'll have money to throw on headers and whatever else that will for sure be on your mind the more time you spend on forums!
    IBMike likes this.

Thanks Ravenous,

The thing with me is that I am not paying all that close attention to miles, just as long are they are close to the 30k i have on my current car. I did that 30k in 18 months, so no matter what car i get, even if its brand new, the warranty is up in 2 years tops.

But i'd think i'd stick with black over the blue

Thanks Ravenous,

The thing with me is that I am not paying all that close attention to miles, just as long are they are close to the 30k i have on my current car. I did that 30k in 18 months, so no matter what car i get, even if its brand new, the warranty is up in 2 years tops.

But i'd think i'd stick with black over the blue

Well I can't argue against black.....!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.