WWYD: Spare rim damaged during tire mount and the repair is...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, WWYD: Spare rim damaged during tire mount and the repair is... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ... Not great. Sears mounted the tire. Their machine damaged the rim on two of the spokes. They referred me ...
    VMoose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Stealth Blue Metallic CTS-V Wagon

WWYD: Spare rim damaged during tire mount and the repair is...

... Not great.

Sears mounted the tire. Their machine damaged the rim on two of the spokes. They referred me to a wheel shop who would repair it and bill Sears.

I got the repaired wheel back and they ground down every one of the spokes and spray painted them. They definitely took off a bit off metal.

The original issue was a scratch on one spoke, and a small gouge on a second spoke. Now every spoke was "fixed."

Here are three pics of three of the spokes that they decided to grind down and paint.

Am I being nit-picky?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FinestKind-CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V
    Lol

You are serious about some scratches on your spare tire rim?
    I thought I was anal about my V!.......

Re: WWYD: Spare rim damaged during tire mount and the repair is...

The rim is a $300 spare, so I guess that I am kind of annoyed that it was damaged and then the repair involved visible grinding on every spoke.

SilverrV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

the fact that its a spare i wouldn't go crazy if it was me. Its not like your going to see it everyday. I would ask for the shop manager tell him you are not happy about it and when you come back in 12,000 miles for new tires to hook you up. make friends with a shop that was willing to help you. if it was your main rim it would be a different story but thats just me

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    You've got every right to be pissed...and should be but since it's a spare I'd just put it in the well and move on. It won't see much action (hopefully) anyway. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    You've got every right to be pissed...and should be but since it's a spare I'd just put it in the well and move on. It won't see much action (hopefully) anyway. Just my opinion.
    This is pretty much where I'm at. I suppose I just need to throw it in the back and forget about it.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by VMoose View Post
    This is pretty much where I'm at. I suppose I just need to throw it in the back and forget about it.
    I think I'd go back to the shop (that did the repair) and point out the shitty workmanship. I'd also mention it to the GM at Sears - but since they already farmed out their initial mistake and paid for the "repairs," that's about as good of customer service as you can ask for.

Sure, Sears @#$%ed up but they tried to make it right. I'd let them know about the pathetic "fix" so they don't use that shop again, but let them know you'll live with it and you appreciate their efforts. Odds are, they'll cut you a deal the next time around.

The "wheel repair" shop, however, looks like they're some Bubbas with a bench grinder. IMHO, if you're going to rant, rant there. Or, post their name all over the internet after they tell you to pound sand. But there is no way in hell that wheel balances properly, they're not going to refund Sear's payment to you, you're not going to let them have the wheel again - and we all know they're not going to order a brand new wheel for you... so...

toss it in the trunk, mutter under your breath and move on.

I'm not really in the mood to rant. It just irks me that this kind of workmanship would never be acceptable for a regular wheel, so why so little effort in doing the right thing for a spare? I do need to go back to the wheel shop and show the manager the quality of the work. I think I owe that proper feedback to them and to Sears.

When Sears damaged my wheel, the shop manager promised I'd get the wheel back good as new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.