What are you guys using to clean your 3M clear bra? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, What are you guys using to clean your 3M clear bra? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by cruiser68 I use Plexus in a spray can as recommended by my installer. +1 used that stuff ...
    CoppeR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 BD Coupe

Re: What are you guys using to clean your 3M clear bra?

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser68 View Post
    I use Plexus in a spray can as recommended by my installer.
    +1 used that stuff on a 3M clear bra for 6years no problems. Xpel bra on the V.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

I use a product that my installer recommended -- unmarked so I come back I guess ... I also use Adam's Waterless Wash and Detailing products -- I have no issues with my clear Bra.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

When in direct sunlight I can see the swirl marks from washing, weather, etc. I don't know how all these other clear bra's are immaculate. Perhaps I got some cheap knockoff. But... the dealer already had it installed before I bought and have the paperwork. I think I'll just try some Meguiars and see what happens.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mpouls1 View Post
    When in direct sunlight I can see the swirl marks from washing, weather, etc. I don't know how all these other clear bra's are immaculate. Perhaps I got some cheap knockoff. But... the dealer already had it installed before I bought and have the paperwork. I think I'll just try some Meguiars and see what happens.
    I hear ya. Before i had a fender bender and had my front end replaced along with the clear bra, my was looking a little rough and dull and waxing wasn't enough. Best thing to do is talk to a professional detailer to find out what to do. I'm also going to be using Adam's products for the first time tomorrow.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    I hear ya. Before i had a fender bender and had my front end replaced along with the clear bra, my was looking a little rough and dull and waxing wasn't enough. Best thing to do is talk to a professional detailer to find out what to do.
    Semi-professional...

As I mentioned, MOST clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective and WILL benefit from polishing and application of polymer-type wax.

If your bra has swirls or haze, these can be removed via a DA polisher (such as a porter cable 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I am going to alter my recommendations from earlier in the thread*** on this though.

Start with Meguiars 205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) or Menzerna Final Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) and a 5" white, Lake County CCS pad. If that doesn't work, move to a more aggressive orange CCS pad. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required!!!
    ***I don't think Meguiars 105 is necessary, and I think starting with a white pad is a less aggressive approach

People are saying they are getting great results on clear bras with Blackfire Wet Diamond... http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-we...d-sealant.html This is an excellent polymer wax (technically a sealant).

You can get all of these products from Detailers Domain, or Autogeek, or wherever. I usually use Autogeek as they have a lot of sales.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occuring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occuring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post

If your bra has swirls or haze, these can be removed via a DA polisher (such as a porter cable 7424) and the right combination of pads and polishes. I am going to alter my recommendations from earlier in the thread*** on this though.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The swirls and haze.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occurring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occurring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...
    Right again. I don't use the crappy swirl-o-matics but I do occasionally use the touchless when I can't/don't have enough time to do it myself. Every time I head over to Home Depot I always make sure to walk through the hand and power tools aisle looking for something new to buy. This gives me a good excuse to pick up a porter cable 7424. Thanks for the help.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Semi-professional...

As I mentioned, MOST clear bras should be treated the same as the finish from a detailing perspective and WILL benefit from polishing and application of polymer-type wax.

Start with Meguiars 205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) or Menzerna Final Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html) and a 5" white, Lake County CCS pad. If that doesn't work, move to a more aggressive orange CCS pad. And keep your polisher speed down unless more is required!!!
    ***I don't think Meguiars 105 is necessary, and I think starting with a white pad is a less aggressive approach

People are saying they are getting great results on clear bras with Blackfire Wet Diamond... http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-we...d-sealant.html This is an excellent polymer wax (technically a sealant).

You can get all of these products from Detailers Domain, or Autogeek, or wherever. I usually use Autogeek as they have a lot of sales.

NOTE: If you are swirling up your bra, you are probably swirling your paint too. I am guessing this is occuring during washed. There is probably swirling/marring occuring when the car is washed and dried. If you are going through a swirl-o-matic car automatic car wash, you are probably in trouble...
    You are absolutely correct. I used some Adam's finishing polish this morning with good results. Then my PC backing plate pad broke after I had half of the car polished. Damn...

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mpouls1 View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The swirls and haze.

Right again. I don't use the crappy swirl-o-matics but I do occasionally use the touchless when I can't/don't have enough time to do it myself. Every time I head over to Home Depot I always make sure to walk through the hand and power tools aisle looking for something new to buy. This gives me a good excuse to pick up a porter cable 7424. Thanks for the help.
    Glad I could help!

Check Autogeek as they do sell kits that have the polisher, backing plates, pads, etc all together. I think autopiacarcare and chemical guys also offer polisher bundles. 3D auto care as well.

And they all have polish/pad combos that you can buy too. And all sizes/types pads and backing plates.

Kyle_B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser68 View Post
    I use Plexus in a spray can as recommended by my installer.
    Ditto on the Plexus. They also use it at our local small airport on Cessna windows and such.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.