Introduction: looking for a V!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Introduction: looking for a V! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello Gentlemen, I drive a Evo X currently and have started craving luxury, so am now in search for a ...
    Streethawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X

Introduction: looking for a V!

Hello Gentlemen,

I drive a Evo X currently and have started craving luxury, so am now in search for a used manual V sedan. This seems to be a pretty active forum so here I am!

I have a few questions I am sure you all can help me answer:
    1. Any reliability issues with this car? Engine, tranny, diff, suspension?
    2. How has your leather interior with Recaro seats held up?
    3. How expensive is maintenance? How much oil does it take? Does it use Mobil1?
    4. The V is a torquey car, does it have traction issues being rwd?
    5. How is it in snow on decent all season tires? I live in IL
    6. How good is Cadillac with honoring warranty? considering the car is slightly modded?
    7. How much more power can be made from the car for $5k and what part will be required?
    8. Any decent V tuners in the Chicago vicinity?

If anyone know anyone wanting to sell their V (sedan, manual, Recaro, <40k miles must!), please forward them my email keshav707@yahoo.com.

Thanks all

Here is my current ride: 360whp/355tq, 0-60 4.1sec, 1/4mile 12.2sec BUT no luxury, interior is cheaper than a rental!
    milligrams2.jpg

pic2_zpsca9b053a.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Introduction: looking for a V!

Welcome and your Evo is boss.

I'll answer what I can.

This model is robust and generally very reliable....surprising for an American-built supercar. American manufacture has come a long way...and I'm a Honda guy saying this. I am on my second 2G V and have only had minor problems with both.

My first V had regular seats and they held up well for the 45k miles I had that car. My V wagon with Recaros is only less than 7 months and 11k miles old, but based on the experience of others I expect them to hold up well.

Any synthetic will do, just pick your oil. Maintenance is relatively inexpensive....oil changes....the occasional diff oil change...tires are expensive if you stick with the stock PS2s. If you buy a V that's still under the free maintenance program (free oil changes) that lowers the cost of maintenance.

Yes, but in normal driving you won't notice any. This car is easy to handle when you're not at the drag strip.

I drove my last V through four Cleveland winters (ie MUCH worse than Chicago winters) and the V wagon through last winter. On Blizzaks, it's almost as if you're driving on dry roads. Use common sense and you'll be fine. Others have done all-seasons where it doesn't snow as much and they report good results.

6. How good is Cadillac with honoring warranty? considering the car is slightly modded?

I have had no issues with what warranty work I've had done on my prior V. Very dealer dependent. I'm sure Chicagoland users will chime in and tell you which dealers are better than others. Most dealers accept intake and exhaust as far as mods go, mine does. Tune/pulley/engine mods are generally no-nos if you're looking for warranty work....though this is also somewhat dealer-dependent.

7. How much more power can be made from the car for $5k and what part will be required?

Canned tune, upper pulley, intake, exhaust will set you back maybe $2k and you gain 80-100 whp. Of course, you can go the whole way and do cams, headers, lower pulley, etc for more and gain much more. Try the other V forum as those guys seriously mod their cars and there's a lot of modding expertise there. Can't post the name of the forum here, unfortunately...

Streethawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution X

Here is what my research since morning has found:

9.5" main pulley
    Stock air box mod
    Tune 93oct
    580/617 at 12.5psi vs stock 509/517 at 8psi
    Claimed A

Metco 2.5" s/c pulley
    Metco 100mm idler pulley
    Airaid CAI
    Tune 93oct
    607/574 vs stock 478/470. -------- got off YouTube but these numbers a very high compared to generic claims
    Claimed B

LPE630 or LPE650 package
    531/545 vs stock 474/470 on LPE630

TheDarkKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Available for sale. Check my thread. Sorry to

Hijack

goofygrin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had an 08 X.

400tq/375awhp on Cobb's mustang dyno on E85.

Now have a '12 V sedan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
    I've had the diff replaced (0 miles, whine, must have been a Friday build), the AC replaced (dessicant bag blew up, clogging the lines), lugnuts replaced (TSB), clutch pedal lubed, rotors turned. All under warranty, currently @ 12k miles.
    Recaros are fine. The suede on the shift knob was not a great idea IMO (I didn't choose, it came with it).
    Free. Included on my car.
    Uh... ya from a dig, it's definitely a skill shot. Buddy with an X MR tore me up from a dig, but once going, especially @ higher speeds, there's no comparison.
    Dunno... I live where it's sunny.
    8. Any decent V tuners in the Chicago vicinity?
    Car's not modded (so no comment on 7 and 8), but my local dealership is *extremely* good. Lightyears ahead of the local BMW dealerships and Mitsu dealerships are barely alive, so obviously there's no comparison there.
    If anyone know anyone wanting to sell their V (sedan, manual, Recaro, <40k miles must!), please forward them my email keshav707@yahoo.com.
    I'm likely selling mine, looking for a lease transfer, but it's likely to be in the $55k (or lease @ $709/mo) range. PM me if interested.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

I came from an '11 STi so I'm pretty familiar with the specific differences between the STi/Evo (which for all intents and purposes are basically the same) and the V. Your questions have been answered already but I thought I'd chime in on a couple.

Yes. Make no mistake, traction is the first thing you will miss when you go from your Evo to the V. There is absolutely no comparison. I think only people who have gone from something like an Evo/STi to the V will really understand how massive a difference it is. That's not to say the V isn't fun because of it... it is. It's a metric assload of fun. But after a while the inability to do anything more than half throttle from a stop gets old.

But I'll add that it is pretty dependent on the condition of the streets where you live. In Vegas the streets are pretty terrible and slippery which just compounds the problem, but if your streets are better, traction will be less of an issue. Just be prepared that you will not ever be able to launch a V like your Evo. Your tires will just go up in smoke instead.

Lots of torque, RWD, very heavy, I'd say on average it's not very good in snow, especially on all season tires. On good snow tires like Blizzaks it'll be better, but again, it's not going to be anything like what you're used to in an Evo. Since the V comes with summer tires you're going to have to buy tires for winter anyway, don't skimp on them. Get good snow tires like blizzaks or something, not all-seasons. At least that will minimize slippage as much as possible.

That's a bit of a loaded question - modifying anything voids the warranty, so Cadillac isn't actually under any obligation to honor your warranty if it's modified. But it varies from dealer to dealer, some dealers are better about modifications than others. One thing they all seem to agree on though is the engine management. If you modify that - which you will have to if you do anything other than an intake - they won't cover any damage to the engine or anything else. That's pretty typical though, Subaru is the same way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.