[OFFICIAL] Ultraview & Recaro Seat Mythbuster Thread - The Final Answers on headroom!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, [OFFICIAL] Ultraview & Recaro Seat Mythbuster Thread - The Final Answers on headroom! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; At great risk of financial and/or physical harm to myself and my Wagons, I present to you: The Final Word ...
    Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

[OFFICIAL] Ultraview & Recaro Seat Mythbuster Thread - The Final Answers on headroom!

At great risk of financial and/or physical harm to myself and my Wagons, I present to you: The Final Word on Ultraview and Seat choices relative to head room. Great pains were taken to measure, quantify and analyze the data in a masked, double-wagoned scientific study; made possible in part by funding from my Wife.

Details: Two wagons were measured on the same day, with the same relative humidity, temperature and track conditions. One Wagon was a CTSV with Recaro seats, suede option, a 6 speed manual transmission and no ultraview: it was clearly superior. The other wagon was a chick car, being "equipped" with only two pedals, base seating, and an Ultraview sunroof.

Through a proprietary method, our Team was able to independently and precisely measure the differences of Recaros, base seats, sunroof or no sunroof through two otherwise structurally identical vehicles. Our extensive research leads us to believe that the findings below will correlate to any 2009+ CTSV model. However, as with all privately funded studies, your mileage may vary. The ground-breaking results are noted below:

Myth: The Ultraview Sunroof option reduces head room by a significant amount?

Answer: Verified.

Explanation: The Ultraview reduces headroom by approximately 1.1 inches regardless of seat type; going to the highest point of the solid roof (directly over the seat bottom) relative to the edge of the Ultraview frame. As many of you know personally, the Ultraview frame unfortunately aligns almost perfectly over the center of the driver's seat, so you can get another 2.5" of clearance... if you tilt your head sideways.

Myth: The Recaro Seats also increase total head room by adjusting lower than base seats?

Answer: Plausible.

Explanation: When both Recaros and Base seats are fully bottomed on the rails, there is approximately 1/4" difference to the lowest part of the seat base; with the Recaros being slightly lower as noted. It's important to realize this is within our margin of error and does not account for adjustment preferences including tilting of the bottom and back of the seats that may otherwise alter this finding. Clearly, with 14-way adjustable seats, you should just get the @#$%ing Recaros for comfort, not to brag about an addition 0.25" of vertical gain?

Myth: The Ultraview sunroof makes the rear seats almost unusable for even midgets!

Answer: Verified.

Explanation: If your midgets happen to have really long torsos, they would notice the almost TWO inches of headroom reduction in the rear seat (a 1.75" difference, with the solid roof giving you a more roomy backseat experience). The rear seats are otherwise identical. Caution: there remains plenty of room for midget procreation with either option, so keep a wary eye on those rascals when you're driving them home after a hard night out on the town.

Myth: Recaros and Sunroof Delete give you massive gains in vertical head room over any other option?

Answer: Busted.

Explanation: As noted above, there are negligible differences between Recaro and base seat options. Simply put, in the Real World the only noticeable difference is A: the most assuredly awesome adjustability of the Recaro seat, and B: the roughly 1 and 1/8th inch difference between Ultraview/no Ultraview. But ask any college girl: that extra inch makes all the difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bbradyc5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: [OFFICIAL] Ultraview & Recaro Seat Mythbuster Thread - The Final Answers on headr

Thanks for the scientific study ....and more importantly who gives a shit if the rear passengers are comfortable
    IBMike likes this.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: [OFFICIAL] Ultraview & Recaro Seat Mythbuster Thread - The Final Answers on headr

LOL!

Great work and thanks to your wife for allowing you to fool around with her wagon.
    shchow likes this.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Excellent job. Can I get a video of the procreating midgets?
    IBMike likes this.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Good things seldom come from involving a spouse and precise measurements.

Thanks for putting yourself at risk for the good of the community.
    shchow likes this.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

What, no skidpad testing to show the Ultraview's extra weight will likely cause the Vagon to roll over violently, if driven in anything but a straight line???

I kid (of course). Nicely written Sir...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Is it the UltraView or the Recaros that cause premature airbag deployment?

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    Is it the UltraView or the Recaros that cause premature airbag deployment?
    It could happen if midgets are procreating in the passenger side front seat and recline the seat too quickly.

Jud
    Jud

lilred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2012 CTS-V

I'm 6'6", got the Recaros with no sunroof, and I approve of this message.
    Moneypenny likes this.

SilverrV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I know what you were doing all day July 4th.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Good work I knew the sunroof made a difference but nice to see the seats don't (1/4 inch isn't much)

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    Good work I knew the sunroof made a difference but nice to see the seats don't (1/4 inch isn't much)
    Yeah, once I shewed the midgets out of the garage and cleaned things up, I was really surprised to see such little difference between the two seats.

I was also surprised that it's only 1 and 1/8th's of an inch difference given or take between the two; it "feels" like more than that!

It feels so much roomier without the Utraview, I think I might actually re-measure one night just to double-check!

ETA: no videos; I think due to their small stature and lifestyles, these midgets prefer to avoid the celebrity status that would inevitably follow an internet sex tape release. Honestly - you're not missing much. Just imagine some pasty white, under-baked-but-right-out-of-the-oven croissants banging against each other for a few minutes: There's stuff flying everywhere, you want no part of it and can't really tell what's going on - but you know it's still kind of hot.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    I'm glad I'm only 5'11" because I enjoy the sunroof. At least until it has a problem.

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How about the new V's? I have heard they cut headroom by over an inch.

Anyone want to trade my ultraview for a hard top? Manual tranny.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by the blur
    How about the new V's? I have heard they cut headroom by over an inch.

Anyone want to trade my ultraview for a hard top? Manual tranny.
    Is there a newer V than a a Gen 2?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.