Clutch Grabbing - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Clutch Grabbing in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; You may be releasing the clutch too slowly. On level ground don't even need throttle, just a smooth quick release ...
    jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

Re: Clutch Grabbing

You may be releasing the clutch too slowly. On level ground don't even need throttle, just a smooth quick release (half a second or so.) Up a grade, maybe a steady 1000rpm until fully engaged...

Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

My 2008 C6Z did the exact same thing. I learned to live with it.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    BTW, the V2 clutch is far superior to the "sticky" clutch on the last Porsche Boxster I drove. I've never driven an underpowered stick shift econobox, so I haven't been "spoiled."

Jud
    Jud

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Less definitely isn't 'more' in my case. Letting out the clutch without throttle will stall.

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25
    Less definitely isn't 'more' in my case. Letting out the clutch without throttle will stall.
    I discovered it in a parking garage; it's spooky and in the old days would lead to bucking and eventual stall. Well, we all have to get used to that and auto rev, for the future. As long as we can turn off some of this electronic crap, it's fine (except DOD which is totally overkill, stupid and made for a Buick).

Jud
    Jud

sybersport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White Diamond CTS-V

I have the exact same issue - but it hasn't proven to be a problem. She can still get herself down the track pretty quick (12.3!)

Dealer claims its normal and should be better now that they 'topped off' the clutch reservoir. Please.

I guess I'll live with it for now. When it fails I'll at least have it documented already.

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25
    Dealer claims its normal and should be better now that they 'topped off' the clutch reservoir. Please.

I guess I'll live with it for now. When it fails I'll at least have it documented already.
    I've had my clutch fluid replaced twice under the normal maintenance schedule and it made no difference in clutch operation, but I really don't have a problem with it. Hopefully, your dealer wasn't selling you unnecessary maintenance.

Jud
    Jud

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    How is a long engagement (intentional slip) better for the clutch?
    Because it's much lower RPM, therefore there is less friction between the clutch disc and the flywheel, therefore extending the life of your clutch. Higher RPM means a higher rotational difference between the disc and the flywheel, which generates more friction, more heat and the loss of more clutch disc material. So while doing it the low and slow way may take longer, it's actually easier on your clutch disc due to lower friction due to lower rotational speed. And in fact I believe it grabs sooner too, because if the engine is lugging then the clutch disc is already attached to the flywheel and there is no friction being generated.

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    I've had my clutch fluid replaced twice under the normal maintenance schedule and it made no difference in clutch operation, but I really don't have a problem with it. Hopefully, your dealer wasn't selling you unnecessary maintenance.

Jud
    Yeah, no worries. I do all my car maintenance myself unless there are big issues or warranty work is necessary. So things like bleeding the clutch, I'd never ever pay a dealer for.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    Because it's much lower RPM, therefore there is less friction between the clutch disc and the flywheel, therefore extending the life of your clutch. Higher RPM means a higher rotational difference between the disc and the flywheel, which generates more friction, more heat and the loss of more clutch disc material. So while doing it the low and slow way may take longer, it's actually easier on your clutch disc due to lower friction due to lower rotational speed. And in fact I believe it grabs sooner too, because if the engine is lugging then the clutch disc is already attached to the flywheel and there is no friction being generated.
    I'm not sure lugging it is the best approach. I like a nice slow engagement from like 2,000 rpms. This is smooth, prevents lurching, and does not drop you super low into the torque curve like a 750 rpm launch does.

Well, 1500rpm definitely helps. It also seems better now that my whining rear diff has been replaced by the dealer. It's now perfectly quiet.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Yeah higher RPM engagements are smooth, but like I said, it's more wear and tear on your clutch disc. I tried it a few times yesterday and I found I can avoid the chatter at 1100-1200 RPM, so 2000 probably isn't necessary. OTOH I also have a pulley, intake and a tune so I may be making a bit more torque at that RPM, not sure about that. Anyway ideally you always want to rev match when downshifting to minimize clutch disc wear, and starting from a stop you want to do it at as low an RPM as you can while still avoiding the chatter so you can have a smooth start while minimizing clutch disc wear. The idea is just to keep the rotational speed differential to a minimum when mating the disc to the flywheel, to preserve the clutch disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly
    Yeah higher RPM engagements are smooth, but like I said, it's more wear and tear on your clutch disc. I tried it a few times yesterday and I found I can avoid the chatter at 1100-1200 RPM, so 2000 probably isn't necessary.
    That's my sweet spot, too, and my car is bone stock.

Jud
    Jud

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.