First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I was instructing a guy in his 2012 V-Wagon at a low speed precision driving event (Parkinglot, not a track). ...
    GTO_Miker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags

I was instructing a guy in his 2012 V-Wagon at a low speed precision driving event (Parkinglot, not a track). I picked him to instruct because I have many years experience on track in C5/C6 Vettes, CTS-Vs, M3s, etc and have driven a couple V-coupes and v-4doors but never a wagon. He was new to high-hp cars so I had him put it in comp mode so the electronics were still active, and we put the suspension on sporty. His car is bone stock, down to OEM tires with OEM air in them.

So we go out and make it through every element with out any issue, but in the last little slalom (~25mph if that) he gave it a little to much gas the car steps out maybe 5-10degrees and boom, side curtain airbags fire and seatbelt pretentioners fire. In all my years I've never seen anything like it. I have ~8-10hours in CTS-Vs on track and never had anything odd happen then to to just have the airbags pop in a parking lot? Didn't hit a cone, didn't hit a bump in the road, nothing. Just a tiny slide on smooth blacktop.

I'm a tall dude so my helmet was resting on the A-pillar when the curtains fired, it ****ed my neck up good, I'm currently posting this in bed while recuperating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Re: First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags

wow - that's wild. I've heard of people pulling fuses to prevent that during HPDE's, but then you're defeating the purpose of the safety mechanisms....

I hope it's covered under warranty - I'd be pissed.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Didn't something similar happen to a CTS-V wagon in an autocross last year, and I recall the guy was a GM employee? That is very weird, and scary. This type of failure should be taken very seriously as it can cause serious injury or a fatal accident. To the OP - I hope you recover quickly and have no long term injury. The irony of the safety systems themselves causing injury - good thing the government is there to keep us from injuring ourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
    Didn't something similar happen to a CTS-V wagon in an autocross last year, and I recall the guy was a GM employee? That is very weird, and scary. This type of failure should be taken very seriously as it can cause serious injury or a fatal accident. To the OP - I hope you recover quickly and have no long term injury. The irony of the safety systems themselves causing injury - good thing the government is there to keep us from injuring ourselves...
    Yes, a GM employee had his go off at a pre-wedding autox.

When the airbags fired I was completely disoriented and I was shaking. I've had some offs, once into to trees at 60mph and never have been as sore or mentally hit as I was after those airbags deployed.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

If I were him, I would ask for a new car. This happened to my in-laws' Cadillac SRX and GM bought the car back as soon as they verified that the airbags deployed as they were moving 2 MPH backing out of a parking lot space.

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

I assume any "black box" data won't show anything is out of the ordinary. Right?

What counts of out of the ordinary? He wasn't driving to walmart; but at the same time it wasn't a track day.

No crazy drifting or anything; just low speed precision driving.

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_Miker View Post
    What counts of out of the ordinary? He wasn't driving to walmart; but at the same time it wasn't a track day.

No crazy drifting or anything; just low speed precision driving.
    Yeah, sounds pretty equivalent to taking some back-road twisties at low speed and getting wheel-spin/slide?

Holy crap - saw the video via PM. It's much less aggressive than I was even expecting! That's nothing for a car; makes me think there has to be some kind of defect or fault.

I'll leave it up to the owner to post, but IMHO that's no fault of the driver.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Hmm. I am hoping GM fixed whatever this problem is for the 2013s. I recall the other V wagon involved was a 2011? At work now so my Google-fu is weak.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Here's the Vagon popping the bags like you did: http://jalopnik.com/5915824/watch-a-...ding-autocross

Another interesting article with a Camaro video that mimics your experience: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...4-cc436b8f1706

They mention settlements and buybacks...

It looks to me like it's specifically hard, opposite changes in direction, typically done during an autocross, that blows em. This is different than what you would see on a racetrack, which is mostly long, smooth curves. In the videos, they are experiencing basically 1g going one way for a while, followed by quick turn (albeit at slow mph) the opposite way...

If I had to guess, I'd say you have a g-sensor somewhere that is experiencing a pendulum effect. Think something like a Scandanavian flick happening, but inside the sensor. When it flicks, and then flicks back AGAIN, it overshoots the tolerance mark and it thinks ROLLOVER and pops the side bags. GM should up whatever that tolerance is set at. Maybe it's a mercury switch somewhere that is getting sloshed around and thinks the car is upside down. Does anyone know?

Did we ever figure out what fuse to pull to turn the airbags off for track events?

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

There is a fuse in the rear fuse box for "Air Bag System". Maybe that one? I'm not sure how you'd test it though.........

opposite locker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 OBM Vagon 6mt

Are these the only two "known" instances of this happening? I'm getting ready to order a '14 Vagon later this week, but this post has me shook. Now reconsidering a bit because of the potentially catastrophic rsults from unexpectedly-deploying airbags...

Quote Originally Posted by opposite locker View Post
    Are these the only two "known" instances of this happening? I'm getting ready to order a '14 Vagon later this week, but this post has me shook. Now reconsidering a bit because of the potentially catastrophic rsults from unexpectedly-deploying airbags...
    I wouldn't let this stop me from ordering a wagon - but obviously if you're going to track/autoX/HDPE the car, it's something to be aware of as a possibility. I'm personally not aware of any deployments "on the street."

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

That is scary, particularly in a car design to drive aggresively. I wouldn't let this issue scare me away as a buyer, these are isolated events as far as I've read. That doesn't make it any less scary, but there are a lot of V's rolling around and being driven hard without deploying airbags. I think its just on of those things. You know, sometimes guns go boom for no reason as well. Some times tires blow. There are a lot of other things that are more likely to go wrong driving a car hard; however, I think GM needs to take a loot and make SURE this is not some kind of design flaw requiring a recall. Even if it hasn't happened many times, that doesn't mean there isn't an actual design flaw.

The thing is this car was not being pushed that hard.

Swerving at 25mph to avoid a pothole or a kid coming out between 2 cars would put the car in the same situation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.