First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I've come across 3 occurrences of this happening in Vagons, but not a single one in the coupe or ...
    opposite locker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 OBM Vagon 6mt

Re: First Experience in a V-Wagon - Deployed Airbags

So I've come across 3 occurrences of this happening in Vagons, but not a single one in the coupe or sedan. The 2 mentioned above, and apparently it happened to Dax Shephard while filming his car chase movie (hit & run?). Could the Vagon perhaps have more sensitive rollover sensors than the other two models?

I don't plan on auto crossing the car, but it will likely see the occasional track day, and will be driven fairly hard on the backroads with plenty of sliding around. The thought of the curtain airbags deploying especially without a helmet is quite frightening. Yes the occurrence rate is pretty low, but how many Vagon owners really slide these things around?

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

They probably use the same event detection program for all three cars, but the wagon's different mass distribution puts it over the line. Making a quick fix to the program risks the safety systems not being as effective in an actual event, so they'd be disinclined to monkey with it.

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT
    I've personally seen 2 side curtain deployments at Auto Club Speedway by the same car (sedan). It's standard practice to pull the airbag and Onstar fuse during the Cadillac challenge (both locates in the trunk fuse panel)
    Kyle_B likes this.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Has anyone blown the airbags on a road course or only autocross? I drove like a banshee on the tail of the dragon this past weekend and my airbags are fine.

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I got a PM from someone about the frequency of these events and it seems pretty often to be out of the norm. That's a shame because I still want to track the car but worried about not having the airbags for safety in case......

And also I'm curious to know what GM has been doing about people's cars whose airbags suddenly deploy?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

GTO-Miker,

We hope you and the fellow you were driving with are okay! If the owner of the vehicle hasn't done so already, we would like to check into this airbag deployment further. He can contact the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 800-458-8006 and we will get him in touch with the correct department from there.

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

I'd like to see for once... an issue that Cadillac actually addresses properly.......

The rest of the stuff seems like minor annoyances, but side airbags going off in left and right G swings doesn't seem like something minor to me.

GTO_Miker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyingv View Post
    It's standard practice to pull the airbag and Onstar fuse during the Cadillac challenge (both locates in the trunk fuse panel)
    I wouldn't pull airbag fuses on a car that doesn't have other popper safety equipment. My personal car doesn't have airbags any more.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    GTO-Miker,

We hope you and the fellow you were driving with are okay! If the owner of the vehicle hasn't done so already, we would like to check into this airbag deployment further. He can contact the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 800-458-8006 and we will get him in touch with the correct department from there.

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    I'll relay that info.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    You know, sometimes guns go boom for no reason as well.
    This requires human error, typically a handling or chamber-clearing mistake, or via unsafe handling. Don't get people thinking that modern guns just fire inexplicably due to a mechanical problem.

That's what the airbags do.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    This requires human error, typically a handling or chamber-clearing mistake, or via unsafe handling. Don't get people thinking that modern guns just fire inexplicably due to a mechanical problem.

That's what the airbags do.
    By "go boom" I didn't mean fire the bullet, I mean a mechanical fail, or have the barrel fail or go "boom". This is not always because of human error.

Easy there my fellow gun activist. This isn't about "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Modern firearms also have failures do to defects in the workmanship, design etc. Its rare, just like air bag deployment is rare for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    Its rare, just like air bag deployment is rare for no reason.
    this seems like it's possibly a programming fail?

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

I know of two incidents on road courses. One at Autobahn near Chicago and one at Firebird. Not sure what the one at Autobahn was but the Firebird incident was a sedan. There's the aforementioned incident with Dax during Hit and Run filming (wagon). Someone on Corvette forum witnessed an incident with another at an auto x they were at in Delaware (wagon). The well publicized incident from the Jalopnik post that I know absolutely nothing about...

As far as fuses go, the owner's manual clearly states what fuse is for the airbags in each block. I'm not going to tell you to pull your fuses, but the airbag warning light does go away when you put them back in.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

I'm surprised Autobahn did it. I'm very familiar with that track and there isn't much in the way of rapid left-right transitions. Guess anything is possible. I don't mind pulling some fuses, but I'm more comfortable doing it during an autoX. Heaven forbid I needed some airbags during an 'off' on a road course.

eyeballs19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS-V wagon 6MN

I saw it happen last year to a V-coupe at Memphis Motorsport Park (a small road course). If I remember correctly, he was braking when the side curtains fired. Don't even think he was turning in yet. He had some choice words for Onstar when they came on asking him if he was ok. Local dealer flatbedded it away, so I have to believe that GM has seen these cars...

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Would hope that GM doesn't sit on its butt about this potential issue like they have with some of the others. Even an "hey we are aware of your issues and are looking at them" from people in the know would be nice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.