New toy 2012 Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New toy 2012 Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I bought it used and drove it back from Hershey PA yesterday. My initial impressions, it's lots faster than the ...
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

New toy 2012 Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon

I bought it used and drove it back from Hershey PA yesterday. My initial impressions, it's lots faster than the CTS-V Wagon it has the P30 Performance package which up's the boost to 18.5 psi on it's twin turbos, makes me wonder if it's got even more boost because this car is scary fast. Last time I went this fast was when I use to ride motorcycles on my 6 cylinder Honda CBX in 1980. The handling seems awesome, very tight in the corners. The ride, the CTS-V wagon rides much better with it's magnetic ride shocks, I mean lot's better. Even in comfort mode you feel every bump in the AMG It has the Distronic driver assistance package which is very cool, also all the other bells and whistles. The sound system sounds better than the CTS-V. More to come and more pictures.

Oh ya and just driving along with highway driving I was averaging 25.5 mpg @ 65 to 75 MPH, naturally if I really got on it the mpg dropped way down. But just proves with direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and a low 1800 rpm @ 75 mph you can have both nearly 600 hp and good gas mileage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Arca500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Congrats on the AMG. It's an awesome car for sure!

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Re: New toy 2012 Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon

Very nice car. Once you start modding the Benz, I've heard the MPG computer becomes very inaccurate - so maybe verify this by keeping track of it manually.

Rare car too, probably one of the top 5 rarest cars Mercedes makes. I would imagine modded, it is a lot fast than a CTS-V. Just don't break it, Benz aren't cheap to fix.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Very cool, congrats! I'll be interested to hear more comparisons as time goes on as this is the Vagon's only true competitor in the US. So do you plan to keep the V for winter use in FL and the AMG for summer use or how will that work?

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Congrats! Mind sharing the ballpark price for the used AMG? Just curious, they are VERY nice cars! Does it feel about the same size as the V wagon, driver and passenger space?

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Nice! Where in FL are you? I'm moving to Naples this weekend.

elevated is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Doesn't the performance package also make the ride stiffer? I would guess the regular AMG feels a little better over bad roads. I'm really interesting in buying one of these, non-wagon however.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Did you trade the V wagon for the E63 wagon?

Thanks for the comparison. That AMG wagon seems scary fast.

V-Horse is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

AMG Wagon
    1) Nice name plate.
    2) Good ride.
    3) Faster 1/4 mile time (same 0-60).

CTS-V Wagon
    1) Aggresive yet stealthy looking.
    2) Excellent ride.
    3) $40-50k cheaper.

Why are you moving to FL Spearfish? I love Chicago but it's winters are getting difficult especially in the V.Just answered my own question.
    MacBuster likes this.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Thanks all, I'll stay here on the forums and will give you as accurate comparisons as possible. Good point about the gas mileage readout becoming innacurrate after a tune, the 25.5 average reading when I got back from my long 10 hour drive last night from PA seemed almost too good to be true, it was just consistantly reading so much higher than in my V which is generally reading between 19 to 21 mpg at highway speeds. I question whether this car could have a Renntech tune of something which brings the hp up to 669 and over 700 ft. lbs of torque, it just feels so fast, I took her out for a ride tonight and opened it up on a back country road, and yep, each gear it shifts it just throws you compressed into the seat backrest harder and harder the faster you go. I really want to put this car on a dyno, I might try to see if I can get it done tomorrow, I know a shop not too far away that has one, I'm just curious. This car feels a lot more raw than the V, of course my V was a automatic and that might be why, I just always felt like I was loosing so much through the torque converter on the V. I woulda been driving a standard one, but I need an auto because of a health condition. The Benz has no torque converter but uses wet clutches instead, feels much more like a STD and you can just really feel the raw power, I always felt like the V was filtered would be about the best way I can think of describing it.

But ya, I did trade in my V, it was just a deal too good to pass up, my 2013 CTS-V wagon with 9800 miles on it for the 2012 E63 AMG wagon plus 20 grand, the AMG had 12K miles on it and is really like brand new, it even has that clear bra tape stuff on the front end to protect it. The warrantee on the benz is still good for around 3 years or another 38K miles. I checked with the dealer to make sure the warrantee is still active and yep it still is.

I wonder if with the P30 performance package it makes it stiffer, because it sure is even in the comfort mode, although the roads around here are real bumpy, I drove it to Newport tonight for sailing and the roads are real rough going down there. In Comfort mode the car is a little bit bouncy going over rough roads, the V on the other hand with the Magnetic shocks is very smooth and controlled.

For my needs though, well worth the extra money on this car because I really like all the bells and whistles it has and find the seats with the active bolster system works really good for me holding me in the seat in sharp turns and there is no lower bolster on the seat bottom as on the recaros which I found tough to get in and out of, that's why I just had the stock seats in my V.

One thing I do need to figure out with this car is why I can't seem to close the tailgate with the FOB, it will only open it and then I have to hit the button on the top of the tailgate to close it, I hope I'm missing something here and there is a way to do it. It worked out fine on the V both opening and closing it from the FOB, I think this might be normal for Benz as it could be a liability thing or something, I don't know.

----------

Oh ya Spearfish, Naples is really nice, I do some boating up there. I live in Venice, which is north of Naples down I75 a couple of hours, I just got back from Venice, had to go there to pick up the Caddy and drive it up to PA to get the Benz, long trip, lot's of driving the past week, now I'm up at my summer place in R.I.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Good luck. With the new ride. I'm glad you found a car you will be happy with.

dcc8203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V-Wagon on order

Can you work me through the math on the payback period for the $20K you put down on the new ride vs. the extra potential 5-6 mpg you are seeing?

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Dammit man - post pics already!

I'd really like to see what the interior dash looks like.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    I bought it used and drove it back from Hershey PA yesterday. My initial impressions, it's lots faster than the CTS-V Wagon it has the P30 Performance package which up's the boost to 18.5 psi on it's twin turbos, makes me wonder if it's got even more boost because this car is scary fast. Last time I went this fast was when I use to ride motorcycles on my 6 cylinder Honda CBX in 1980. The handling seems awesome, very tight in the corners. The ride, the CTS-V wagon rides much better with it's magnetic ride shocks, I mean lot's better. Even in comfort mode you feel every bump in the AMG It has the Distronic driver assistance package which is very cool, also all the other bells and whistles. The sound system sounds better than the CTS-V. More to come and more pictures.

Oh ya and just driving along with highway driving I was averaging 25.5 mpg @ 65 to 75 MPH, naturally if I really got on it the mpg dropped way down. But just proves with direct fuel injection, variable valve timing and a low 1800 rpm @ 75 mph you can have both nearly 600 hp and good gas mileage.
    Yeah, these things are rockets!

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by dcc8203 View Post
    Can you work me through the math on the payback period for the $20K you put down on the new ride vs. the extra potential 5-6 mpg you are seeing?
    that is a stupid question....he did not trade to get better gas mileage

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.