Rear end symptoms?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear end symptoms? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So, I think I may have the beginning stages of the dreaded rear end issues. Here's my symptoms, as best ...
    FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Rear end symptoms?

So, I think I may have the beginning stages of the dreaded rear end issues. Here's my symptoms, as best as I can describe without making noises with my mouth...

Cruise set at 77, smooth asphalt. Kinda sounds like tire noise under light acceleration, mostly goes away under decel. No whining, more of a very slight and I mean very slight, low pitched rubbing or grinding. Kinda like brakes rubbing, maybe. Once I get back on surface streets, and let the auto transmission shift down coming to a stop, I can hear it a little louder, and almost feel it, in 3rd and 2nd gear under decel, as the trans shifts down.

Like I said, it sounds almost like tire noise, but I'm pretty convinced it's not, as the roadway surface doesn't change the pitch or volume. Also, it pretty much goes away on deceleration, at speed anyway. Also, brisk acceleration doesn't make it worse, and it may make it go away?

Thoughts and input appreciated.
    2011 auto Vagon, 11,000 miles...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dullaware is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Rear end symptoms?

Mine needed the friction modifier additive. Seems fine now

BklynEXT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Mine makes a low speed groaning when making a left turn. Once the vehicle warms up it goes away. I'm bringing it in next week.

dullaware is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My slip says TSB 10-04-20-001E
    Additive PN 88900330
    Main issue was groan in low speed turns when cold, hope this helps

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Been through this. The additive will not fix it. Maybe temporarily but it's a band aid on an artery. My carrier was just replaced with 46K and had whine and bearing failure when inspected. The whine was most present between 35-40 under constant speed. It would go away under power or when lifting off the gas and coasting. So far, the new one is as quiet as it gets.

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

Sounds Same as mine, they replaced the diff.

FLTRI, I would settle for nothing less. Best of luck. Hopefully, your dealer is a good one.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BklynEXT View Post
    Mine makes a low speed groaning when making a left turn. Once the vehicle warms up it goes away. I'm bringing it in next week.
    Hello BklynEXT,

I apologize for the inconvenience your vehicle is experiencing. I see you are taking the vehicle in next week. If you would like us to stay invoked throughout the process, please private message us and we can continue our interaction next week to ensure your dealer visit goes well. Also we can be contacted for any other concerns or questions you may have.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    So, I think I may have the beginning stages of the dreaded rear end issues. Here's my symptoms, as best as I can describe without making noises with my mouth...

Cruise set at 77, smooth asphalt. Kinda sounds like tire noise under light acceleration, mostly goes away under decel. No whining, more of a very slight and I mean very slight, low pitched rubbing or grinding. Kinda like brakes rubbing, maybe. Once I get back on surface streets, and let the auto transmission shift down coming to a stop, I can hear it a little louder, and almost feel it, in 3rd and 2nd gear under decel, as the trans shifts down.

Like I said, it sounds almost like tire noise, but I'm pretty convinced it's not, as the roadway surface doesn't change the pitch or volume. Also, it pretty much goes away on deceleration, at speed anyway. Also, brisk acceleration doesn't make it worse, and it may make it go away?

Thoughts and input appreciated.
    2011 auto Vagon, 11,000 miles...
    Hello FLTRI,

I am sorry your vehicle is experiencing a rear end issue. Are you going to work with a dealership on this concern? Please feel free to private message us so we can further discuss your issues and help work towards a resolution.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Thanks Guys. I have a service scheduled for Monday. I'm sure I'm gonna get the "Could not duplicate customer concern" answer, but I'm going to have them flush and refill the diff, even if I have to pay for it...

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thanks Guys. I have a service scheduled for Monday. I'm sure I'm gonna get the "Could not duplicate customer concern" answer, but I'm going to have them flush and refill the diff, even if I have to pay for it...
    I'm going in Friday and the differential 'low groan noise' is on the list of things to check. Mine has made a noise from Day 1. Did the flush at 5K mark at my expense since they said it was tire noise. Have replaced the tires once since then, sticking with PS2s, AND spoke with a Michelin engineer at a Cadillac Driving lab who said the PS2 tires should not make any noise.

So I changed the fluid again using AMSoil Extreme duty + the additive (did it myself) and I still have a low level noise at 26K mark.
    Bumper to Bumper runs out next month so I hopefully I won't get the response: "tire noise", "could not duplicate", or "normal".

More of a minor irritant, since otherwise the V has been nearly flawless. Never had an isolator rattle, wheel click, sunroof squeak, rockin' Recaro or any of the other sundry of complaints.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

IMO - personally demo the issue to the SA/SM, or a designated mechanic. Much more difficult for them to use the, 'can not duplicate', excuse afterwards.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob

IMO - personally demo the issue to the SA/SM, or a designated mechanic. Much more difficult for them to use the, 'can not duplicate', excuse afterwards.

Rob
    +1. Exactly.

spearfish25 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadDawg View Post
    Bumper to Bumper runs out next month so I hopefully I won't get the response: "tire noise", "could not duplicate", or "normal".
    The rear diff should be covered under your powertrain warranty which extends beyond the 4 years. Also, anything you've documented with the dealer as an issue, regardless of if they agree in their assessment at the time, is covered after the warranty expires. So if your diff dies after the warranty is gone, you should still be covered even if they 'can't duplicate' your concern when you initially brought it in.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

FWIW when mine went I was experiencing both a groaning noise and a high pitched whining noise. I think the key is if it happens on throttle input. The sound will change pitch depending on wheel speed, not gear, and only comes on under throttle input, so if you lift off the noise goes away.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

OldRoadDawg,

I want to echo the advice that you should see if it would be possible to have somebody ride with you so that you can point out exactly what you're concerned with. Please don't hesitate to get in contact with us if you would like any further assistance.

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.