Rear end symptoms? - Page 4
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 58 of 58
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear end symptoms? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by cadzilla32 New diff installed yesterday. No noise now! Question: is there a recommended break-in procedure for the ...
  1. #46
    Trapspeed's Avatar
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by cadzilla32
    New diff installed yesterday. No noise now! Question: is there a recommended break-in procedure for the new rearend? I am a Manual Sedan. Thanks!
    Yes. Vary your speeds, no hard launches and no full throttle application for about 500 miles. Those are the cliff notes and what I did. It's more detailed in the manual, too.

  2. #47
    CavemanB52's Avatar
    CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    860
    I was told 1500 mile break in by a GM engineer after they replaced mine. No hard launches and no hard excelerations try and keep it to gradual excellerations and the phosphate rear end will get stronger and stronger with use. Till then its brittle and can be broken.

  3. #48
    Trapspeed's Avatar
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52
    I was told 1500 mile break in by a GM engineer after they replaced mine. No hard launches and no hard excelerations try and keep it to gradual excellerations and the phosphate rear end will get stronger and stronger with use. Till then its brittle and can be broken.
    In reality I don't thrash my car so I know it got at least that. I'm after longevity!

  4. #49
    cadzilla32's Avatar
    cadzilla32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    64
    Thanks guys. Seems reasonable to ease her back into it.

  5. #50
    Trapspeed's Avatar
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by cadzilla32
    Thanks guys. Seems reasonable to ease her back into it.
    You'll be happy you did. These powertrains, by in large, are tried and true strong.

  6. #51
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    681
    I had the rear end swapped at 4300 miles due to whine and the new one is silent. I've been babying her for 1000 miles and swapped the fluid yesterday. It was the best looking gear oil I've ever seen come out of a diff. Magnetic plug barely had anything on it too. Refilled now and just about ready to rock. I'm going to give her another couple hundred miles with the new stuff and then get to work on shaving the rear tires .

  7. #52
    CavemanB52's Avatar
    CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    I had the rear end swapped at 4300 miles due to whine and the new one is silent. I've been babying her for 1000 miles and swapped the fluid yesterday. It was the best looking gear oil I've ever seen come out of a diff. Magnetic plug barely had anything on it too. Refilled now and just about ready to rock. I'm going to give her another couple hundred miles with the new stuff and then get to work on shaving the rear tires .
    Sweet. Speeking of burning tires. I'm on my third set of rears. I've had the stock pilot sports 285 35, MT 305 35 and right now Michelin SS 295 35. Has anyone tried the new Nittos 305 35?

  8. #53
    boplaw's Avatar
    boplaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    51

    Re: Rear end symptoms?

    Took it in a couple of months ago and they told me the tires needed replacing before they could diagnose it. Fair enough.

    New tires installed and took it back in 2 days ago. SA says "I hear it". He called this morning and said "I been over this with the service manager, our head technician, and Cadillac Tech. We believe that sound is normal".

    O'really? So why doesn't my business partner's sedan with the same miles make noise? So I can go drive drive one of yours out of the showroom and it will whine too, right?

    "Well, it may be your aftermarket exhaust rubbing on one of the heat shields". MmKay.

    Great customer service at Baker Cadillac.

  9. #54
    FLTRI's Avatar
    FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    50
    Posts
    804

    Re: Rear end symptoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by boplaw View Post
    Took it in a couple of months ago and they told me the tires needed replacing before they could diagnose it. Fair enough.

    New tires installed and took it back in 2 days ago. SA says "I hear it". He called this morning and said "I been over this with the service manager, our head technician, and Cadillac Tech. We believe that sound is normal".

    O'really? So why doesn't my business partner's sedan with the same miles make noise? So I can go drive drive one of yours out of the showroom and it will whine too, right?

    "Well, it may be your aftermarket exhaust rubbing on one of the heat shields". MmKay.

    Great customer service at Baker Cadillac.
    If they haven't already done it, have them drain the fluid and show you the magnetic plug, before they clean it. Then ask them if the ton of metal shavings on it are normal. When they did mine, it was pretty obvious that it's not supposed to look like an oily fur coat...

  10. #55
    quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    260

    Re: Rear end symptoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by boplaw View Post
    Took it in a couple of months ago and they told me the tires needed replacing before they could diagnose it. Fair enough.

    New tires installed and took it back in 2 days ago. SA says "I hear it". He called this morning and said "I been over this with the service manager, our head technician, and Cadillac Tech. We believe that sound is normal".

    O'really? So why doesn't my business partner's sedan with the same miles make noise? So I can go drive drive one of yours out of the showroom and it will whine too, right?

    "Well, it may be your aftermarket exhaust rubbing on one of the heat shields". MmKay.

    Great customer service at Baker Cadillac.
    Some really lazy dealers and some good ones. I had a HORRIBLE experience at James Wood Cadillac (Denton, TX), took it there 3 times for rear-end noise, even taking the shop foreman for a ride to help show him the noise. They end up driving my car over 50+ miles, changing the radio to a rap station, and messing up my front rotors (wonder how that happened!?!?). I was FURIOUS. They STILL didn't fix it. They claim to have fixed a bearing in the diff, but they totally lied as that's not an authorized repair for a diff noise and they never charged anything to Cadillac for warranty. They basically did nothing, except joy ride my car.

    Several days later, I drop my car off at Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, TX at 7:30am or so. At 4pm ,they call and tell they have replaced the front rotors (new 2 piece!) and front pads and put a brand new diff in the rear-end. 8 hours later they had all that done! I show up at 5pm, the car is already washed and vacuumed out out and they put a whole 7 miles on my car diagnosing the noise. Perfectly acceptable to me. The rear-end is noise is completely gone and has been that way for many thousands of miles since then. Suffice to say, if Sewell Cadillac keeps that kind of service up, they have a customer for life.

  11. #56
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Rear end symptoms?

    Quote Originally Posted by boplaw View Post
    Took it in a couple of months ago and they told me the tires needed replacing before they could diagnose it. Fair enough.

    New tires installed and took it back in 2 days ago. SA says "I hear it". He called this morning and said "I been over this with the service manager, our head technician, and Cadillac Tech. We believe that sound is normal".

    O'really? So why doesn't my business partner's sedan with the same miles make noise? So I can go drive drive one of yours out of the showroom and it will whine too, right?

    "Well, it may be your aftermarket exhaust rubbing on one of the heat shields". MmKay.

    Great customer service at Baker Cadillac.
    Hello boplaw,

    I apologize that you are experiencing this concern as well. If you would like me to contact your dealership regarding this concern, or would like me to set you up an appointment with another
    dealership for a second opinion, please private message me. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by quikag View Post
    Some really lazy dealers and some good ones. I had a HORRIBLE experience at James Wood Cadillac (Denton, TX), took it there 3 times for rear-end noise, even taking the shop foreman for a ride to help show him the noise. They end up driving my car over 50+ miles, changing the radio to a rap station, and messing up my front rotors (wonder how that happened!?!?). I was FURIOUS. They STILL didn't fix it. They claim to have fixed a bearing in the diff, but they totally lied as that's not an authorized repair for a diff noise and they never charged anything to Cadillac for warranty. They basically did nothing, except joy ride my car.

    Several days later, I drop my car off at Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, TX at 7:30am or so. At 4pm ,they call and tell they have replaced the front rotors (new 2 piece!) and front pads and put a brand new diff in the rear-end. 8 hours later they had all that done! I show up at 5pm, the car is already washed and vacuumed out out and they put a whole 7 miles on my car diagnosing the noise. Perfectly acceptable to me. The rear-end is noise is completely gone and has been that way for many thousands of miles since then. Suffice to say, if Sewell Cadillac keeps that kind of service up, they have a customer for life.
    Hello quikag,

    I apologize that you had such a bad experience at the first dealership regarding this concern. I am happy to hear that you had a much better experience at Sewell Cadillac and that they were able to address the concern you were having. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you very much for posting your experience.

    Gregory W
    Cadillac Customer Care

  12. #57
    the blur's Avatar
    the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    543

    Re: Rear end symptoms?

    Is there a diff club ? I may be a member. 30,000 miles. It's a process, where you need to pay for a diff oil change. Then complain 3 weeks later that the noise is still present. And eventually they'll replace the rear. It's a $1500 part, and $1500 in labor if your out of warranty.

    One would think Cadillac would take a Corvette diff, and use it in the V. Something that will take the abuse of a super charger. Part of the problem is the rear tires loose traction in the cold weather. So your spinning the tires without even realizing it. 20 degrees out today, getting on the highway, and the rear is loosing traction. And I wasn't even on the throttle that hard.

  13. #58
    CavemanB52's Avatar
    CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    860
    Sounds like cold tires and street conditions

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting