Strange observation on GM's AC system...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Strange observation on GM's AC system... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So, I've owned a 2006 Chevy Express van, 2011 Chevy Express van, 2010 V and 2013 V. All have the ...
    taken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS V

Strange observation on GM's AC system...

So, I've owned a 2006 Chevy Express van, 2011 Chevy Express van, 2010 V and 2013 V. All have the identical quirk in the AC. It runs ice cold for 2-3 minutes and then has 10-15 seconds of warm. Then it's back to a few minutes of cold. All 4 vehicles did it the exact same way. Theories? No other brand of vehicle I own or have owned does this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Re: Strange observation on GM's AC system...

My V does not exhibit that symptom. If I get on it however, it does shut off the compressor until you get off it.

Strange. I thought it was a GM thing as the Express cargo van and the V are pretty much polar oposites and both did/do it the exact same way. 4 vehicles all the same. Could it be a huge coincidence? Mine has nothing to do with RPM. Does it no matter what. Cruising along a back road at 50 and low RPM still does it...

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Curious as to what part of the country you're in. Just tried my '11 CTS-V and it doesn't seem to act the way yours does (86 and humid) Does it do this when you first start the car, drive for a while etc. and does it ever not do it?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Are you using the Auto setting? If so, that will do it every time unless you bottom it out or go all the way hot.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Are you using the Auto setting? If so, that will do it every time unless you bottom it out or go all the way hot.
    Good point. I use auto and I can definitely tell when it gets gets cooled down as the vents do go from cold to "not as cold" but I wouldn't say warm.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser68 View Post

Good point. I use auto and I can definitely tell when it gets gets cooled down as the vents do go from cold to "not as cold" but I wouldn't say warm.
    Mine does the same thing. I leave it on auto all the time. Not every 4 minutes but it does blow warm for a few seconds every now and then.

Yep, on auto. However, my van's didn't have auto climate control and did the same. Your right, it's not really warm, just "not so cold" for a few seconds as mentioned above. I'm sure it's normal, just not sure why it cycles. Have Ford and Dodge vehicles, both with auto climate control, that never have this fluctuation.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Maybe this is how they keep mold from growing.

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    Yep, on auto. However, my van's didn't have auto climate control and did the same. Your right, it's not really warm, just "not so cold" for a few seconds as mentioned above. I'm sure it's normal, just not sure why it cycles. Have Ford and Dodge vehicles, both with auto climate control, that never have this fluctuation.
    Could this be caused by cycling of the compressor to prevent icing of the evaporator coil.? As the system senses that ice is forming it may be cycling the compressor off for a short while which lets the ice melt and would cause the air to be not so cold. After the ice is melted the compressor kicks back in and the air becomes colder again. Ambient conditions especially humidty would be a factor on how frequently this occurs.

That makes a lot of sense. Could be... Wonder why GM has it and no one else does?

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. Could be... Wonder why GM has it and no one else does?
    Not sure why you don't notice this on other vehicles. Ive seen this icing happen on marine A/C units under certain conditions so I'm thinking it must happen to every system if the conditions are right. After all, the air going thru the A/C unit is the same regardless of the make of the vehicle!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Once in a while the A/C cycles off for a few seconds in my Town Car...

mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

My wife's 08 Grand Caravan doesn't cycle and depending on ambient conditions (usually moderate temps but high humidity) the evaporator freezes up and I have manually "de-ice" it by turning the a/c off. What a stupidly designed system.

montgb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I noticed this behavior on my V today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.