Need Advice re: Recaros
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Need Advice re: Recaros in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I know this is an old topic but im looking for new advice before i sell car or change seats. ...
    Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v

Need Advice re: Recaros

I know this is an old topic but im looking for new advice before i sell car or change seats. I have 2012 cts v sedan auto. i had the car a year and a half i have 18000 miles. Ive been getting back pain in this car since the beginning. I tried every possible setting so now i have to either try stock seats or trade car in because im not enjoying this car because of this problem. I have a few other cars and do the same ride everyday but dont get any pain. Im 45 yrs old 6.1 195 lbs in good shape. I am slightly larger fram because id do work out a lot, I am not overweight though. So My question is what can i do. Im thinking to try one stock seat for now just to see how that works, id get this used of course. Also im actually thinking of trading the car in but its a shame because i never really got to enjoy it because of this pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. oh the back pain is lower back and sometimes shoots down right leg. This doesnt happen everyday but on most. My ride is half hour each way to work. about 25 miles mostly highway

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Sorry to hear of this dilemma. Lower back pain and leg stuff sucks....I know. As for the seats, sadly IMO I feel this is a seating position thing that will not change due to the seat type. I think it's a dynamic of the car's dimensions more than anything. Truthfully, you'd have no problem at all selling your Recaros but whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Keep us posted. Best of luck.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Re: Need Advice re: Recaros

As a physician, I have a hard time seeing how the Recaros are the cause of your back pain if your drives are so short. My view of your problem is that the Recaros are UMMASKING an underlying problem that will likely rear its head at some other point in your life if you don't address it rather than the Recaros CAUSING the problem. Instead of dumping the car, give a bit of self-directed physical therapy a try first. Google a stretching regimen to help loosen your lower back and hamstrings. Doing this twice a day can work wonders for these types of lower back issues. Your pain sounds sciatic in nature, and the stretching should help. Also be sure to remove objects from your back pants pockets like thick wallets before you get in the car. If the pain persists, go get it worked up by an orthopod.
    SilverrV likes this.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

try a few different lumbar support pillows to see if that helps? leg numbness is usually indicative of something (bulging or herniated disc) impinging on your sciatic nerve (well, for me, anyway). I am not a doctor, but the post from the doctor seems right on....(btw please tell me what kind of excerises you can do to give you a larger frame.....:-) Anyway....sorry to hear about your pain but it does sound like this will be hit or miss with any seat or seating position.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    As a physician, I have a hard time seeing how the Recaros are the cause of your back pain if your drives are so short. My view of your problem is that the Recaros are UMMASKING an underlying problem that will likely rear its head at some other point in your life if you don't address it rather than the Recaros CAUSING the problem. Instead of dumping the car, give a bit of self-directed physical therapy a try first. Google a stretching regimen to help loosen your lower back and hamstrings. Doing this twice a day can work wonders for these types of lower back issues. Your pain sounds sciatic in nature, and the stretching should help. Also be sure to remove objects from your back pants pockets like thick wallets before you get in the car. If the pain persists, go get it worked up by an orthopod.
    Or a neurologist. Agree with above. If you have not had back issues previously, definitely see a physician.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

What you're describing as others have said, sounds related to disc issues. As the doctor pointed out, the seats are moe likely causing an issue to show, not actually causing the issue.

People have jested about the recaro seats being terrible for people with weak abs. There is some truth within that jib. The point being, bad posture, and or sitting slouched creates a lot of problems when you get older....I should know because I have issues. I now stand at work about half the time. I set my Recaro seats to force me to sit up straight and tall. I haven't had any issues on long drives 3-5 hours. Sorry you still are. See a doctor of physical therapy. You may be a few exercises away from less back pain.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I believe you may need new tracks along with your seats.

I might be willing to swap with you. Obviously colors have to be right. PM sent.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

http://www.ergonomicssimplified.com/tips/driving

It seems to me the seat and controls of the CTS invite a terrible driving position, particularly the incline of the seat base. It may be that you're too tall for the car, especially with a sunroof, because to get a back-friendly thigh position you'll need to lift the back of the seat base quite a bit relative to the front.

You ought to be able to test-sit a base seat in a regular CTS at a Cadillac dealer. Obviously you can't simulate your daily commute, but you can tell whether or not you can get a significantly different seating position.

Do you at least find the Recaros comfortable to sit in?

.Jinx

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob

Or a neurologist. Agree with above. If you have not had back issues previously, definitely see a physician.
    LOL. Sorry about that Bob.

Big Jay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I hate the Recaros in my wifes V. Most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Don't even talk about getting in and out with that wing part you have to climb over. I want to find a regular CTS and ask the owner if I can sit in it to see how it feels.

I have two vettes, C5 and C6. Both are way more comfortable than the V

shchow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV

As a urologist, I believe the problem lies in your prostate.
    Have you had yours checked yet?
    Club Malibu likes this.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by shchow
    Also, you may need to ride the golden rod if it has been more than 5 years.

Jud
    shchow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    I hate the Recaros in my wifes V. Most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Don't even talk about getting in and out with that wing part you have to climb over. I want to find a regular CTS and ask the owner if I can sit in it to see how it feels.

I have two vettes, C5 and C6. Both are way more comfortable than the V
    Sorry but this made me laugh. We're complaining about seat bolstering being annoying in a performance model car? And then you compare it to the lack of bolstering in the Corvette seat which has been one of the Vette's achilles heals for years? Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by shchow View Post
    I'm a urologist. It's not his prostate.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I badly pulled a muscle in my lower back. When every seat I got into made it worse, the Recaros made it better...
    LV_V likes this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

For me, the recaros are very uncomfortable & I couldn't sit in those seats for more than 5 minutes & tried all the different positions. The base seats, while not perfect for me, are a thousand times more comfortable ( I have lower back fisette joint issues from being a long time jogger, so everyone has to figure out what works best for them, regarding seat comfort).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.