Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need Advice re: Recaros

7K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  the blur 
#1 ·
I know this is an old topic but im looking for new advice before i sell car or change seats. I have 2012 cts v sedan auto. i had the car a year and a half i have 18000 miles. Ive been getting back pain in this car since the beginning. I tried every possible setting so now i have to either try stock seats or trade car in because im not enjoying this car because of this problem. I have a few other cars and do the same ride everyday but dont get any pain. Im 45 yrs old 6.1 195 lbs in good shape. I am slightly larger fram because id do work out a lot, I am not overweight though. So My question is what can i do. Im thinking to try one stock seat for now just to see how that works, id get this used of course. Also im actually thinking of trading the car in but its a shame because i never really got to enjoy it because of this pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. oh the back pain is lower back and sometimes shoots down right leg. This doesnt happen everyday but on most. My ride is half hour each way to work. about 25 miles mostly highway

#36 ·
Regular CTS seats are all leather, no suede.

I find it interesting that the seats in these cars is the most polarizing part of the vehicle, people either love 'em or hate 'em. Personally I think the stock ones are kinda too flat and the Recaros are too racey for everyday use. I've only had "Ass time" in each from shopping around for a V though, I don't have any long road trip time in either other than a loaner regular CTS for a few days. To be honest though, the best combination of both seats were the ones that my STS-V had. Enough support and adjustment with suede inserts, not too hard, not too flat. I wonder what they will offer for seating in the V3.

#40 ·
shockwaveMGH said:
I have a 2000 C5, a 2007 C6 Z06 as well as a 2012 CTS-V with the Recaro seats. I couldn't disagree more ..... Perhaps you need to work on adjusting your support ..
Second that!
I find my Recaros to be VERY comfortable now that ( thanks to this forum) I finally discovered after one year of ownership that there is an extension you can open up to lengthen the seat and gain more support under your thighs..... :)

#41 ·
That extension can make quite a difference. My first Explorer had that on its seats and I loved it. The next one I bought did not have that feature and it was the most missed feature on that disappointing vehicle. I'm still chuckling that it took you a year to find it!

#43 ·
I did a 4000 mile cross-country round trip in my V wagon with Recaros three weeks ago and I had no issues whether I was in the seat for 15 hours or 3 hours.

Jdani, base V seats are plentiful on eBay. Recaros are not and someone will give you top dollar for yours. I know this because I owned an 09 V with base seats. I tried for three years to find Recaros with limits success, and mostly found base seats.

#45 ·
OP - I still think you need to play with the seats a bit longer. There is no question the Recaro are a firm, hugging seat, but there are many ways to either "sink" yourself deeper into the seat, or tone down the security of the bolsters.

I spent a week with premium non-recaro seats, and they were comfortable too. It was in a sedan, and the combination was easier to get in and out of the car compared to my coupe with recs. They definately are softer on your butt, but they just feel like any old seat in a luxery car. Nothing special, and nothing that screams racing, and can actually enhance that experience like the Recaro. But then again, even if the seats sucked id keep them because they look so hot!

Maybe you just need to get a memory foam seat pad for your butt, and work on your abs :p

#49 ·
I'm 6'2 and weigh in at 255lbs. I have a large frame and work out a lot too. My guess is its not the seat as much as it is your lower back. Go get adjusted and stretch out as much as possible. I get lower back pain as well but, I've been lucky enough not to feel uncomfortable in my Recaro seat. Of course every body is different. Also, I'd go to Dicks sporting goods and get a real Phiten Racing necklace. I know it sounds crazy but, I got one two years ago and it's been a game changer for me. Placebo effect or not, it works. And finally, since you might have sciatic nerve issues (pain shooting down your leg) you need a light anti inflammatory. Go to Costco and buy a bottle of Naproxen. Take 3 in the am and repeat at night for 1 week and it should help you out a ton. It did for me.

#51 ·
I think I might be having the same issue with the Recaro seats, I have some disc issues & sciatica. I am not sure if all the driving I did last week aggravated my back or not.

I did find a video on the 8 steps to correct sitting position from Recaro, I need to watch and make adjustments and will post if that helped me.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us...eats/company/expertise/ergonomic-comfort.html

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/fi...en/technik_allgemein/sitzschule_100630_en.swf

Oh and Time to work on my Ab's too. The person who posted that could be on to something per this blog post http://experiencelife.com/article/loosening-tight-strings/

#52 ·
Work the abs everyday. Pelvic tilts, 50 per day. Along with regular floor crunches. I work with patients all day long who experience back pain. The major cause being the TVA or transverse abdominis isn't strong enough to rove compressive forces off the lower back. So muscles in your back eventually become overused, creating I inhibiting of the others muscles around that area. Just have an open mind, use google for reference and try it.

I doubt it's the seats as the main factor. And it couldn't hurt to be stronger.

Hope this Helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.