Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need Advice re: Recaros

7K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  the blur 
#1 ·
I know this is an old topic but im looking for new advice before i sell car or change seats. I have 2012 cts v sedan auto. i had the car a year and a half i have 18000 miles. Ive been getting back pain in this car since the beginning. I tried every possible setting so now i have to either try stock seats or trade car in because im not enjoying this car because of this problem. I have a few other cars and do the same ride everyday but dont get any pain. Im 45 yrs old 6.1 195 lbs in good shape. I am slightly larger fram because id do work out a lot, I am not overweight though. So My question is what can i do. Im thinking to try one stock seat for now just to see how that works, id get this used of course. Also im actually thinking of trading the car in but its a shame because i never really got to enjoy it because of this pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. oh the back pain is lower back and sometimes shoots down right leg. This doesnt happen everyday but on most. My ride is half hour each way to work. about 25 miles mostly highway

#2 ·
Sorry to hear of this dilemma. Lower back pain and leg stuff sucks....I know. As for the seats, sadly IMO I feel this is a seating position thing that will not change due to the seat type. I think it's a dynamic of the car's dimensions more than anything. Truthfully, you'd have no problem at all selling your Recaros but whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Keep us posted. Best of luck.

#3 ·
As a physician, I have a hard time seeing how the Recaros are the cause of your back pain if your drives are so short. My view of your problem is that the Recaros are UMMASKING an underlying problem that will likely rear its head at some other point in your life if you don't address it rather than the Recaros CAUSING the problem. Instead of dumping the car, give a bit of self-directed physical therapy a try first. Google a stretching regimen to help loosen your lower back and hamstrings. Doing this twice a day can work wonders for these types of lower back issues. Your pain sounds sciatic in nature, and the stretching should help. Also be sure to remove objects from your back pants pockets like thick wallets before you get in the car. If the pain persists, go get it worked up by an orthopod.

#5 ·
As a physician, I have a hard time seeing how the Recaros are the cause of your back pain if your drives are so short. My view of your problem is that the Recaros are UMMASKING an underlying problem that will likely rear its head at some other point in your life if you don't address it rather than the Recaros CAUSING the problem. Instead of dumping the car, give a bit of self-directed physical therapy a try first. Google a stretching regimen to help loosen your lower back and hamstrings. Doing this twice a day can work wonders for these types of lower back issues. Your pain sounds sciatic in nature, and the stretching should help. Also be sure to remove objects from your back pants pockets like thick wallets before you get in the car. If the pain persists, go get it worked up by an orthopod.
Or a neurologist. :) Agree with above. If you have not had back issues previously, definitely see a physician.

#4 ·
try a few different lumbar support pillows to see if that helps? leg numbness is usually indicative of something (bulging or herniated disc) impinging on your sciatic nerve (well, for me, anyway). I am not a doctor, but the post from the doctor seems right on....(btw please tell me what kind of excerises you can do to give you a larger frame.....:) Anyway....sorry to hear about your pain but it does sound like this will be hit or miss with any seat or seating position.

#6 ·
What you're describing as others have said, sounds related to disc issues. As the doctor pointed out, the seats are moe likely causing an issue to show, not actually causing the issue.

People have jested about the recaro seats being terrible for people with weak abs. There is some truth within that jib. The point being, bad posture, and or sitting slouched creates a lot of problems when you get older....I should know because I have issues. I now stand at work about half the time. I set my Recaro seats to force me to sit up straight and tall. I haven't had any issues on long drives 3-5 hours. Sorry you still are. See a doctor of physical therapy. You may be a few exercises away from less back pain.

#7 ·
I believe you may need new tracks along with your seats.

I might be willing to swap with you. Obviously colors have to be right. PM sent.

#8 ·
http://www.ergonomicssimplified.com/tips/driving

It seems to me the seat and controls of the CTS invite a terrible driving position, particularly the incline of the seat base. It may be that you're too tall for the car, especially with a sunroof, because to get a back-friendly thigh position you'll need to lift the back of the seat base quite a bit relative to the front.

You ought to be able to test-sit a base seat in a regular CTS at a Cadillac dealer. Obviously you can't simulate your daily commute, but you can tell whether or not you can get a significantly different seating position.

Do you at least find the Recaros comfortable to sit in?

.Jinx

#10 ·
I hate the Recaros in my wifes V. Most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Don't even talk about getting in and out with that wing part you have to climb over. I want to find a regular CTS and ask the owner if I can sit in it to see how it feels.

I have two vettes, C5 and C6. Both are way more comfortable than the V

#13 ·
Sorry but this made me laugh. We're complaining about seat bolstering being annoying in a performance model car? And then you compare it to the lack of bolstering in the Corvette seat which has been one of the Vette's achilles heals for years? Too funny.

As a urologist, I believe the problem lies in your prostate.
Have you had yours checked yet?
:)
I'm a urologist. It's not his prostate.

#15 ·
For me, the recaros are very uncomfortable & I couldn't sit in those seats for more than 5 minutes & tried all the different positions. The base seats, while not perfect for me, are a thousand times more comfortable ( I have lower back fisette joint issues from being a long time jogger, so everyone has to figure out what works best for them, regarding seat comfort).

#16 ·
I have regular seats in my 2010 wagon, Light Titanium. Well cared for leather and I have always used a cover on them while daily driving. If anyone with Recaros wants to swap please let me know. I can do the work here at my shop, too, as we are a custom metal fabrication shop (and gearheads).

#22 ·
The same thing happened to me on long drives in my 2011 V Coupe with Recaros, but it would be a good hour plus before I started feeling an uncomfortable feeling in the center of my back. I never had this issue with the stock seats in my 09 V Sedan. I am in the process of looking for a new V Coupe and I am looking for one without Recaros. They are so damn uncomfortable. I am 6'1" and I am down to 188 lbs. now with an athletic build. I was up to 212, but lost a good amount of weight. The standard seats are way better. I don't know if you can swap the seats without any issues, but I think the Recaros are not padded enough for long drives.

#24 ·
I have osteoarthritis in my lower back. We all get it at some point. The Recaro's help with that. My only concern is that it will interfere with my upland bird hunting. As long as I can get adjustable and supportive seats in my super sedan, I have many years left with super cars.

Jud

#25 ·
Funny,I had an '09 CTS with stock seats that were never comfortable and offered almost no thigh support.I now have a '13 V sedan with Recaros and am delighted at the difference in support and comfort.Since everyone else with an opinion seemed to have a medical degree,I must disclose that I am a newly retired orthopaedic spine surgeon........Seats that are poorly designed don't give a damn who you are!!

#26 ·
jd mack said:
Funny,I had an '09 CTS with stock seats that were never comfortable and offered almost no thigh support.I now have a '13 V sedan with Recaros and am delighted at the difference in support and comfort.Since everyone else with an opinion seemed to have a medical degree,I must disclose that I am a newly retired orthopaedic spine surgeon........Seats that are poorly designed don't give a damn who you are!!
Happy retirement, doc!

#30 ·
Chris CTS V Wagon said:
Where are you located and what color? If they are ebony I'll give you a thousand bucks and my stock ebony seats with 8K miles on them. I'll even drive to meet you if you're within 8 hours :)
NJ, Monmouth county

----------

Thanks everyone for all the replies after reading them all I really believe that this is just a matter of opinion. Whether or not I have a back problem as some if you have suggested why should i torture myself when I don't have this problem In any of my other cars... I do have another question if I do want to make the change to stock seats do they come with the clothe in the middle like the recaros and also how will they match with these door panels or are the door panels the same

#46 ·
Hi - I am in Bergen County NJ and have a 2012 Sedan CTS_V with Ebony stock seats. The seats do have the suede like cloth material in the middle. I may be interested in the Recaros and a swap, but would want to work out whether they are plug and play as long as I get (from you or otherwise) the switch for the cooling function of the seats.

#31 ·
Make sure (if you swap out with someone) that they have full leather. Some cars have alcantara patches in the seat area. Mine, for example, are full leather from the factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.