Unusual suspension feel????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Unusual suspension feel???? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Since I bought my 2011 A6 V coupe in March I've noticed and have tried to figure out what my ...
    USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Unusual suspension feel????

Since I bought my 2011 A6 V coupe in March I've noticed and have tried to figure out what my V is doing and how to fix it. I'm stumped. Here's the deal. First some details on the car.

It's a 2011 A6 V coupe that had 4206 miles on it when I bought it in March. The selling dealer claimed two tires were damaged during transport and bought and installed new Hankook V12 tires filled with nitrogen to factory specs. The car is flawless except for this anomaly.

When speeds exceed about 45 MPH all the way to (let's just say above posted limits) the vehicle keeps wandering back and forth. It's worse than any Corvette I have ever owned and Vette's are knowing for "traming I believe is the term" as a by product of suspension alignment and big wide tires. But my V is so bad it has made my wife feel ill. I've played with tire pressures and nothing I can do corrects or reduces the affect.

The car feels like it's riding on the surface and is being pulled back and forth almost "darting" back a forth. It' annoying.

The car tracks true and straight and there doesn't appear to be any unusual tire wear.

I would appreciate any help from long time V owners.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Your tires are more than 90% in probability your problem. Mismatched sets are notorious for this problem.

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

Re: Unusual suspension feel????

Just curious, why did the dealer put Hankooks on it( assuming PS2's are on the front). To save a few bucks ?

Quote Originally Posted by musclecar6 View Post
    Just curious, why did the dealer put Hankooks on it( assuming PS2's are on the front). To save a few bucks ?
    They claimed the two left side tires had visible sidewall damage from what they believe was a defect with the hauler that transported the vehicle from the auction site several hundred miles from the dealer. I have no reason not to believe them. It is what it is, not much I can do about that now.

They bought and installed four brand new Hankook tires. But back to my problem, could a poor alignment be the cause? Even though the car tracks straight and true and has no shimmies.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

The have NO excuse for not marching the factory tires. Not only the mismatch, but the tire brand and model could account for this. Certain tread patterns are much worse about this than others. Start there.
    Club Malibu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    The have NO excuse for not marching the factory tires. Not only the mismatch, but the tire brand and model could account for this. Certain tread patterns are much worse about this than others. Start there.
    Before I dump four brand new tires and spend $1400 on new tires I'm going to have my dealer take a look at my car first. There is always a chance something else could be wrong like alignment. I'll gladly pay for alignment if that could cure the problem and even if it doesn't at least I'll know that part of my suspension is in spec and then can move on.

Cheers

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    If its the tires, the dealer should pay for new ones. He is the one who put non stock tires on the car in the first place.
    neuronbob likes this.

thegraham77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe Thunder Gray ChromaFlair

I have the same tires on my '11 A6 and haven't had any problems that you've described here. I really like these tires. I guess it's possible you have a bad set of tires though (if that's indeed what the problem is).

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello USAFRET,

I would like to research this issue for you further. Have you had your vehicle diagnosed recently at your local GM dealership? If you could provide me with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of preferred dealership via private message, I can research the issue further for you. Thank you!

Jessica
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by USAFRET View Post
    Since I bought my 2011 A6 V coupe in March I've noticed and have tried to figure out what my V is doing and how to fix it. I'm stumped. Here's the deal. First some details on the car.

It's a 2011 A6 V coupe that had 4206 miles on it when I bought it in March. The selling dealer claimed two tires were damaged during transport and bought and installed new Hankook V12 tires filled with nitrogen to factory specs. The car is flawless except for this anomaly.

When speeds exceed about 45 MPH all the way to (let's just say above posted limits) the vehicle keeps wandering back and forth. It's worse than any Corvette I have ever owned and Vette's are knowing for "traming I believe is the term" as a by product of suspension alignment and big wide tires. But my V is so bad it has made my wife feel ill. I've played with tire pressures and nothing I can do corrects or reduces the affect.

The car feels like it's riding on the surface and is being pulled back and forth almost "darting" back a forth. It' annoying.

The car tracks true and straight and there doesn't appear to be any unusual tire wear.

I would appreciate any help from long time V owners.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by pat2t2f View Post
    If its the tires, the dealer should pay for new ones. He is the one who put non stock tires on the car in the first place.
    I bought the car out of state, so my local dealer (who has been superb) will be handling this claim/issue. I doubt they will pay for four new tires considering my car only has 6300 miles on it.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You are right. I thought you purchased from a local dealer.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

So the original dealer threw away the other two tires with only 4200 miles on them? And then put on some cheapo Hankook V12s? I'd be furious. They should buy 4 new PS2s for you. The two good ones that were tossed had a lot of life in them, and they should have replaced the damaged tires with standard OEM PS2s.
    RapidRob likes this.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Post retracted due to reading comprehension.....

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Obvious question, are the tire pressures set properly on all 4 tires? I can feel a difference of 2-3 pounds on my V if they are not each set properly.

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

They bought and installed four brand new Hankook tires. But back to my problem, could a poor alignment be the cause? Even though the car tracks straight and true and has no shimmies.
    Before I dump four brand new tires and spend $1400 on new tires I'm going to have my dealer take a look at my car first. There is always a chance something else could be wrong like alignment. I'll gladly pay for alignment if that could cure the problem and even if it doesn't at least I'll know that part of my suspension is in spec and then can move on.
    Why would the tires be 'mismatched if the dealer put on four new tires?

'Assuming' the Hankooks are the correct sizes, not overinflated and there are no worn suspension parts - then possibly some minor tweaks to the alignment may be all that is needed. Tire wear won't show up for awhile, but the camber or toe-in being off will be noticeable... particularly when you start driving on new tires of a different brand. And the alignment may have gotten messed up when the other tires were damaged.

Info on: Tramlining

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.