Anyone have any 09-'11 CTS-V buy advice?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone have any 09-'11 CTS-V buy advice? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My little (younger) brother called me this week and told me that he decided that it's about time to relieve ...
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

Anyone have any 09-'11 CTS-V buy advice?

My little (younger) brother called me this week and told me that he decided that it's about time to relieve his beloved '96 Impala SS from t's duty as a daily driver. And even though his retirement is still about a year and a half away (Army scout/attack pilot) he is already midway into his 30s and just like every other retiree or soon-to-be-one... he wants a proper rear-wheel drive, V8 powered Cadillac. Specifically an '09 or newer Certified "pre-owned" CTS-V sedan for under $47K.

1. How realistic is this budget?

2. Would it make any difference to wait to buy a used CTS-V until the the new '14 CTSs hit the show rooms, or are the majority of current original 2009+ CTS-V owners going to hold out until the 2015 3rd generation CTS-V is available?

3. Are there any things he should look out for when sizing one up to buy?

Thanks

P.S. I have my own questions as well: where is the cassette player hidden? I looked on the Cadillac site and could not find out how to uprgrade to wire wheels or even wire hubcaps, are these now only a dealer installed option? and every single CTS-V ( and CTS for that matter,) seems to have the hood ornament swiped off even before it hits the sales lot, or is it retractable? (which I doubt as GM is too cheap to include a power antenna, hoping to distract buyers with suspension and power gimmicks like tighter handling and a lousy few hundred extra horsepower, don't even get me started on the lack of faux wood trim)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Re: Anyone have any 09-'11 CTS-V buy advice?

There are plenty of 11s out there for under $47k, and even a few high mileage 12s. "certified" ones are harder to find and cost a little more, but they are out there.

Other than body styles (Vagon & Coupe) & colors there are no "major" changes from 09-12, so there are plenty of options out there for him to choose from under his price range. Lots of folks who's car are garage queens and get sold with very low mileage.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Ah, haha we have funny ghai here...
    IBMike likes this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

He is dead set on a sedan (ironically, since we were kids he was always a coupe fan, while this is the first non convertible Cadillac coupe I have ever been a fan of. I

as surprised at how few CPO CTS-Vs we could find.

He is pretty firm on It being CPO, I have found several low milage 2nd generation CTS-V's from private sellers in the mid 30s. He takes great care of the Impala but racks up a lotta miles as he loves driving it but the normal wear and tear is nickel and diming him as it I guess he wants the piece of mind of a warranty. I think if he was a bit more flexible and bought a privately sold CTS-V with a documented service history, he could put 10K of the money saved in a "rainy day" account incase any unexpected maintenance issues do happen to pop up.

He knows I post on this forum, so asked me to ask around if there are any particular things to to avoid or look out for.

Also the tedious part is that the Cadillac site only allows a maximum 250 mile search radius for CPO cars for any given zip code. There has to be a site that aggregates results from all Cadillac dealerships in the contiguous 48 states.

Here's a couple searches I set up to save to your (his) favorites

https://usedcars.truecar.com/cars/us...dy-Sedan/cpo-1

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...orm=true&Log=0

(no ability to only show certified ones here, so you'll have to look through the thumbnails for ones listed as certified) http://www.getauto.com/search-result...ultsPerPage=50

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...tion=undefined

Quote Originally Posted by IBMike View Post
    Here's a couple searches I set up to save to your (his) favorites

https://usedcars.truecar.com/cars/us...dy-Sedan/cpo-1

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...orm=true&Log=0

(no ability to only show certified ones here, so you'll have to look through the thumbnails for ones listed as certified) http://www.getauto.com/search-result...ultsPerPage=50

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...tion=undefined
    Gracias! Airman/Sky Sergeant*/Sir take back everything I have ever said about the Air Force, which was really just a result of DEFAC envy, Baghram was def the Cadillac of DEFACs.

*no disrespect intended, we often worked with USAF personnel and once as an E3 I needed to ask something from the senior NCO at a particular TOC who was AF and I could not count the stripes in time as he acknowledged me so I, or my mouth just said "excuse me.... Sky Sergeant?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham View Post
    Gracias! Airman/Sky Sergeant*/Sir take back everything I have ever said about the Air Force, which was really just a result of DEFAC envy, Baghram was def the Cadillac of DEFACs.

*no disrespect intended, we often worked with USAF personnel and once as an E3 I needed to ask something from the senior NCO at a particular TOC who was AF and I could not count the stripes in time as he acknowledged me so I, or my mouth just said "excuse me.... Sky Sergeant?"
    lol... it's all good! After 28 years I've heard it all

Good luck with your search! I've been looking since Oct; buying a V as my back from a year in Afghanistan gift to myself! Ready to pick one out and get home to drive it soon!

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Cassettes weren't an option, only 8-track.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

You can buy an extended warranty from GM, which is essence makes it CPO. Not totally, but close. Thats what I did when I bought my 09 last December. For 1400 or so I got the GM Platinum that gave me three years or 24K miles. I don't drive a lot as I live and work in the city, the car just gets out on weekends....guess its a garage queen.

Quote Originally Posted by DCV View Post
    You can buy an extended warranty from GM, which is essence makes it CPO. Not totally, but close. Thats what I did when I bought my 09 last December. For 1400 or so I got the GM Platinum that gave me three years or 24K miles. I don't drive a lot as I live and work in the city, the car just gets out on weekends....guess its a garage queen.
    Thank's! I am gonna suggest that option tonight.

And you have my my deepest sympathy. Even under the best traffic conditions (like after 11PM on a Sunday night DC is my least favorite city to drive in/find an address (especially pre-GPS) so many times have I been trying to get to say "1234 X Street" and arrive only to be told "oh no this is 1234 X Street NE this is "1234 X Street NW" and then given a complicated series of directions of scores of rghts and lefts on different letter and State named streets, (some that require answering a series of difficult riddles in order to cross). And forget about driving in NOVA, if I wanna go to NYC from Richmond I have to leave at 4AM just to park at the Franconia/Springfield Metro stop just to catch a 10AM train at Union Station.

So I assume you would be the perfect person to ask about how comfortable the CTS-V is when stuck in traffic?

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I would look for a 2011-2012 with lower miles that still have some factory warranty left. Those can be had well under 50k in all three variety of the V.

I would for sure get Recarro.
    I would for sure get suede interior accents.
    I would go for the saph or Ti interior trim.
    I'd probably skip the sunroof.

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I bought a 2011 V wagon with 19k, recaros / sunroof, cpo for $47k (not out of the door price mind you).

You can find one.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

THe manual V is not bad in DC traffic, the clutch will not make your leg cramp. Its one of the best clutches I ever had. The worst was my Nismo Z, made my leg cramp and had a engagement point that was way high.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCV
    THe manual V is not bad in DC traffic, the clutch will not make your leg cramp. Its one of the best clutches I ever had. The worst was my Nismo Z, made my leg cramp and had a engagement point that was way high.
    Yes, the clutch engagement is low, characteristic of a high performance car, and I like it. The clutch engagement, shift lever movement and accelerator effort all work in harmony. I don't think that the aftermarket could improve it; I know it could make it worse and make your wallet lighter at the same time.

Jud

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Yes, the clutch engagement is low, characteristic of a high performance car, and I like it. The clutch engagement, shift lever movement and accelerator effort all work in harmony. I don't think that the aftermarket could improve it; I know it could make it worse and make your wallet lighter at the same time.Jud
    my clutch engages high.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.