so what do you think happened to my CTS-V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, so what do you think happened to my CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The weather was nice the sun was out and the birds were chirping over all a very nice day to ...
    mrkool is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, Harley VROD (Night Rod)

so what do you think happened to my CTS-V?

The weather was nice the sun was out and the birds were chirping over all a very nice day to drive the V. So i drove to work and parked it in the garage. After 9 hours of work i start up the V and i think i heard the wheel click so to make sure if it was clicking i did couple of slow speed left and right 180 degree turns. It was not the wheel clicking it was just the normal tire hopping. Any way so i take the car on the road and when i am on a parkway i roll the windows down and i hear a horrible screeching (kinda like metal on rotor) kind of sound coming and i think it is coming from the car next to me i speed away and when i reach the next car the sound is back again this got me worried. So i pulled to the side of the road checked all 4 wheels and nothing is stuck in the break nothing under the car either i kick the tires and then get back in and start to drive after a min the screeching is back. I called Cadillac customer service and tell them what is happening they said if i can drive to a dealer ship they will be happy to look at it. i said fine send me a tow truck. while waiting for the tow truck i do a couple of more 360 degree turns to see if i can make the breaks settle back or something and i hear no sound. i think hmm so may be the problem is gone i drive and 10 min later the screeching is back. so it looked like if i let the car or brakes cool down the sound goes away for a little while and then comes back. At very slow speeds it felt like the brakes were engaging. so i put the car in the parking garage and started waiting for hte tow truck. after hour and a half i thought i try again so this time i start driving the car 5 min, 10 min, 20, min 30 min and no screeching noise. i called the tow service and tell them to cancel. Drove the car around 50 miles or so and the screeching never came back. I drove the car next day for a little while and so far the screeching has not come back. i don't want to take the car in and tell the service that i heard a screeching noise that i can not duplicate please see what you can find. Any one here that has made it this far of my story can think of what might have happened to me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mmmbacon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Re: so what do you think happened to my CTS-V?

that is the same sound i heard before my axle broke im not positive in your case but that is what happened to me bring it to the dealer have them check your axle

----------

if they say it was loose have them change the diff and axles is your car auto or stick ?

Steve BigD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V black diamond coupe

Don't know if its the same thing but my BMW 540 had a pebble stuck in the caliper which rubbed on the rotor at certain times and made such a
    screeching sound. This happened to quite a number of members on the Bimmerfest E39 forums so it was a common problem.

Steve D

JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

that is classic for a rock stuck in brake caliper. once it falls out, problem solved. I would drive normally and not think about it unless it comes back, which I would bet it wont

67 455 Bird ragtop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

If it was a rock stuck in a caliper check both side of the rotors to see if the rock gouged a rotor.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop
    If it was a rock stuck in a caliper check both side of the rotors to see if the rock gouged a rotor.
    Yes. Easily done on the inside by feel alone. If you feel a groove in the middle of the rotor portion swept by the brake pad, replace it.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

A pisser, but it sure is better than mmmbacon's broken axle!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.