New Member Intro - What to look for when buying a -V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Member Intro - What to look for when buying a -V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello all, Just a quick introduction, currently an active duty Air Force pilot stationed at Travis AFB, CA (about an ...
    jbwhite85 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

New Member Intro - What to look for when buying a -V

Hello all,

Just a quick introduction, currently an active duty Air Force pilot stationed at Travis AFB, CA (about an 1.5hr's East of San Francisco). My current car is a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, and looking to purchase a used 2009-2012 CTS-V. I am definitely wanting a sedan, six-speed manual, and black exterior with black interior.

Since I am an obvious noob, what should I look for when buying/looking at -V's. (Looking at certain mechanical parts under the car, etc)

Moreover, has anyone had any significant maintenance issues with their car?

Hind sight 20/20, what would you have looked for before purchasing your -V?

Are there any options that come with the cars that you "wish" you would've gotten? (Recaro seats, etc).

Please let me know any and all opinions / knowledge so I can make a very sound judgement on which car I should purchase.

Thanks for any/all help!

-J.B. White

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: New Member Intro - What to look for when buying a -V

Modifications; if you're not into tinkering or messing with hidden issues. A stock, or nearly, will be virtually trouble free.

jbwhite85 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks baabootoo! That's excellent news to hear.

bnagel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

I absolutely love having the Recaro seats. I drove mine home from NC and put on 2000 miles. I could have kept going.
    Ben

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

You look for the same stuff you would in any used car.

CarFax, evidence for body damage, get a GM VIS to find warranty claims and whether its still in warranty, evidence for prior high-po mods other than CAI and exhaust, which are harmless.

These cars are generally reliable--an amazing statement to make about an American super car, but there it is.

I strongly recommend the Recaros if you have any inkling of sporting intent with the car, but regular seats are just fine for cruising. Recaros increase the resale value of the car as most people are looking for them, but can rock so test the seat yourself.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Probably gonna be a lot more fun to drive than a KC-10.

Most people love the Recaros, but some hate them, so be sure and try both options.

Lots of great deals out there; take your time and you'll find one set up like you want for the right price.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Take your time and get used to the recaros. With 14 adjustments it takes a little time to get them dialed in properly. Most people who don't like them are either a fair size bigger than average or are too impatient to take the time and adjust them properly.

mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

The Recaros in mine are amazing. Probably the best car seat I've ever sat in. It did take some fiddling of the adjustments but I've got them right for me. I did a non-stop three hour highway run last weekend and could've easily gone another three hours.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

I would opt out of the sunroof. Mine has one and it eats up a bit of space and the liner does not stop the sun. It's more of a shade and when the windows are down at 70+ it tends to flap around. I wish a vendor or GM would make a true liner that is heavier and blocks the sun. But be sure to get Recaros and manual tranny.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

The sunroof shade is probably thin so that it can roll up; I don't think there's enough space to recess a solid panel. You'd probably have to use some high-tech foil laminate to get opacity without being so thick it won't retract or so heavy it sags.

But the translucent shade cuts the light and heat enough that it's not a problem for me here in the Bay Area; I don't know how you'll feel out there where it's hotter... otoh that's what AC is for I debated the sunroof a lot, but ultimately for me it boiled down to fear vs joy and I'm glad I chose joy. If it someday creaks or leaks, I'll deal with it; the headroom difference will only matter if I don a helmet which is a rare thing (and I was scrunched without the sunroof anyway). Popping the top on a pleasant day gives me a big smile; the rest is details

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.