Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey guys first post. I just drove a 2010 V last weekend and really loved it! I'm seriously considering trading ...
    sublime1996525 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V?

Hey guys first post. I just drove a 2010 V last weekend and really loved it! I'm seriously considering trading my C6Z06 for a CTS-V. Who here has done this? Any regrets? What do you guys think the odds are of trading an 06 Z06 straight across for a CTS-V?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Re: Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V?

Well, I think you'll love the V. But you have to figure out for yourself if that's a swap you want to make. You'll obviously be giving up performance in return for a bit more utility. If you're just looking to go fast, stay with your current ride. You may be able to do a direct swap if the dealer can still make money off your Z06.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Love both my '11 Z06/07 and V Coupe. Both fast cars (Z06 is slightly faster) and V is very thirsty compared to the Z06. All depends on what you're looking for and willing to give up.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had an 09 V sedan and a 11 Z06/07 (Carbon). I had them both on the track for HPDE days. The Z was faster/quicker but not a huge amount, especially on the street. The Z is much more raw, aggressive, and sounds better. The V is fast and comfortable, but heavy and not as nimble as the Z. The magnetic suspension is magical though, and compared to your 06Z I think you would find the handling in the V pretty darn good. If you are looking to go fast and/or have a pure sports car experience keep the Z. If you want some practicality and more comfort, but still have a very fast car get the V. I am strongly considering getting back into a V wagon.

Sure you could trade even your 06 Z for a 09-11 V, depending on miles and condition of both.
    Random84 and Random84 like this.

elevated is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Z06 felt significantly more faster, not sure how you guys are saying slightly! Much better instant torque with the n/a motor. Not saying my V is slow, but just a tribute to how great the Z is.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by elevated View Post
    My Z06 felt significantly more faster, not sure how you guys are saying slightly! Much better instant torque with the n/a motor. Not saying my V is slow, but just a tribute to how great the Z is.
    Yeah the Z was for sure faster and quicker, and on the track I'd agree it was significantly faster due to better handling, less weight, better braking. On the street, depending on the circumstance, the V and Z are more similar. Low RPM pulls for example, the V generates more torque. My 11 Z07 has the carbon ceramic brakes, and they are absolutely ridiculous. That braking advantage (and less weight) would let it kill a V on a road course. I expect V3 will have carbon brakes as an option, as they are tremendous on the track (just don't crack a rotor, they are not cheap!).

Thank you for the replies. Keep them coming guys! I have had a C5Z and now the C6Z so I think I'm just ready to try something different. The gas mileage is a bit of a concern for me. It's awesome being able to get close to 30mpg on the highway in a 505 hp car!
    mrk4543 and mrk4543 like this.

Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

I owned a C6Z06 for about 4 years, loved it! Did the usual mods..Borla, K&N, wheels tires etc...Then sold it to invest in my growing business thinking that later on, the business will buy me a replacement.
    In the mean time I bought a 3.6 CTS Coupe, ordered it with a manual tranny. Nice car, but not enough to satisfy the need for speed.
    Enter my new CTS-V Coupe!
    Not a replacement for the Z...but a good COMPROMISE. The Z is raw and a beast, the V won't touch it. But, lightness is a two edged sword.

With the V I get all the comforts and sound insulation that the Z lacked, but only about 90% of the performance, and on the street that 10% won't be missed.
    BTW...my old CTS with the manual, suppossedly Cadillac only made 65 of them in 2011, and it was all but IMPOSSIBLE to sell! After over three weeks having it listed on several sites, I had ZERO responses. Had to finally trade it in on the V. Sad....now I know why none of the Caddy dealerships would have one in their inventory.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Everyone else pretty much hit up the comparisons already - The Z06 is a beast of a car and the CTSV is a fantastic compromise; but at the end of the day it's still a luxurious compromise relative to the Corvette. IMHO you'll never "trade even" on anything from a dealer.

I figure you'll at least have to shell out a few grand for the privilege regardless. 06Z06's will probably get you a trade in around high $30's, the CTSV will probably be priced in the mid to high $40's; how much depends on the condition/mileage of the vehicles and your negotiating tactics. But on close trades like this, the Con Artist - I mean the dealer - will probably give you a trade in value close to or even below KBB, and offer up recent "auction" prices to prove their point.

I'd wager you'll be writing a $4-5K check (hey, the salesman's kids have to eat, too!).

Random, this is pretty much what I was thinking. The dealer will want a few dollars but I'm hoping I will get lucky. Or maybe I'll find a private seller willing to trade.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Before I was looking at a CTS-V, the Z06 C6 was very high on the list.

I owned a C5 previously and loved the car. I think my issue with the C6 is, it just wasn't enough of an upgrade as a platform. The interior of the C5 is just old looking. The C6 barely improved on it in 2008 where it finally got somewhat of a refresh - stil it lacks where a $50,000 car shouldn't. Perhaps it seems stupid to discuss interior and features on a performance car, but I don't have the room or the money for multiple vehicles, so whatever I buy is my only car. This means I will spend a lot of time inside of the car. The interior comfort is something I look for and appreciate. The Cadillac sacrifices a little bit of performance for a lot of comfort.

Besides the interior, I drive my car in the winter, even when I've had a beater car for really bad weather. The corvette even with snow tires, because of its low ground clearance was a nightmare in snow, though they do much better than they are given credit for.

Lastly, I like having a back seat. That was a pain with the corvette. The CTS though not huge has a usable back seat, and with a large trunk and full passthrough seat you can't get large items inside of the car. Even with the CTS coupe this is true.

I love both cars. Had the C6 received a major interior upgrade with seats like the Cadillac, it would have been a harder decision. Right now I like the balance of a smooth quiet ride to brute force. I've spend enough time in rough riding loud cars and basically am over it!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1996525 View Post
    Hey guys first post. I just drove a 2010 V last weekend and really loved it! I'm seriously considering trading my C6Z06 for a CTS-V. Who here has done this? Any regrets? What do you guys think the odds are of trading an 06 Z06 straight across for a CTS-V?
    Hello sublime1996525,

Welcome to the forum! I see the interactions you have already had with other forum members. They are giving some great insight on your situation. Good luck on finding the right vehicle for you! If there are other questions or any concerns you have, don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sublime1996525 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. Keep them coming guys! I have had a C5Z and now the C6Z so I think I'm just ready to try something different. The gas mileage is a bit of a concern for me. It's awesome being able to get close to 30mpg on the highway in a 505 hp car!
    If it is truly of a concern, DON'T GET THE V! On my V1, I had a tall 6th that allowed me over 25 mpg if I wanted. The V2 will never get you any decent mpg even if you try.

So get that out of your head if you truly want a V. The rest of us all have(well, except for a couple, haha)...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

I'm here for the unicorn.

I traded a 2005 Z51 in on a new CTS-V wagon. I've had the V for almost three weeks now.

I miss the driving position -- exotically low and laid-out, distinctly behind the center of mass, with what feels like the whole car in front of you.

I know this sounds crazy, but I miss getting in and out of it -- once you figure it out, it's an easy graceful thing, like a kinetic password. The CTS-V is a boring upright sedan complicated by a tall-but-highly-bolstered sport seat set for a good driving position. I seriously need to do some research and development this weekend on entry and exit because I feel like a recurring sitcom joke right now.

I do not miss the ride. The Z51 never bothered me, but the Cadillac provides a much better executive summary of what's going on down there.

I do not miss the sounds of the engine at rest or in motion. (You with a Z06 might, though.) The Cadillac is quieter but deeper-sounding inside, and has a nice burble outside. My mom just sent me this email after my last visit: "It's too bad that you can't hear the sound of your car when you start it up. It just sounds so powerful from outside the car." (I told her I can put the windows down whenever I want more.)

I definitely don't miss the road noise. The Vette is a great GT except for that constant gray noise, the aural equivalent of carrying a backpack around all day. The V isn't the quietest luxury car, but the difference in conscious annoyance and subconscious stress is much greater than magazine decibel ratings would suggest. I'm really looking forward to my first road trip.

Objectively the CTS-V performance is the same as my old Vette, and I'm still getting used to being high and in the front seat of a long heavy car, so I can't comment on how big that minus is going to feel to you. I can say there is a giddy feeling to hustling a luxury sedan. The fun is amplified by the fact that (on the surface) it's out of character. I hope that feeling lasts.

I never found the Vette impractical. Sure, I can put a bicycle in the back of my car now, and I can take more than one person to lunch, but the Vette fit my life just fine. In fact, it was more practical in one way: I could load/unload the cargo area from the side. Now I have to choose between backing into my parking space or using the cargo area.

I switched because it was really my last chance to make a lateral move out of a Corvette into something different. I was afraid once I got a taste of the C7 I'd have to settle for something significantly slower to get out of sports cars and I worried that would cast a pall of regret over any such move. So I don't really know what to tell you except good luck with whatever you decide.

.Jinx
    Also, because a 556hp manual wagon that's as fast as a Corvette with truly distinctive styling is exactly the kind of thing that every car guy says they'd love but almost nobody actually buys. I decided I'd rather make a mistake than forever wonder what it might have been like to be the guy who actually bought one.

Jinx thanks for the good comparison!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.