Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Gas mileage is no joke. Car is super thirsty!...
    elevated is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Trading a C6Z06 for a CTS-V?

Gas mileage is no joke. Car is super thirsty!

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by elevated
    Gas mileage is no joke. Car is super thirsty!
    I kind of nervous chuckle every time I fill up the tank and my range is under 200 miles.

sublime1996525 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    I kind of nervous chuckle every time I fill up the tank and my range is under 200 miles.
    Haha yeah I'm sure that's kind of an awkward moment.

texasnoiz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): M3M5EVO9-sold; next up TESLA, Vwagon

Re: I'm here for the unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I traded a 2005 Z51 in on a new CTS-V wagon. I've had the V for almost three weeks now.

I miss the driving position -- exotically low and laid-out, distinctly behind the center of mass, with what feels like the whole car in front of you.

I know this sounds crazy, but I miss getting in and out of it -- once you figure it out, it's an easy graceful thing, like a kinetic password. The CTS-V is a boring upright sedan complicated by a tall-but-highly-bolstered sport seat set for a good driving position. I seriously need to do some research and development this weekend on entry and exit because I feel like a recurring sitcom joke right now.

I do not miss the ride. The Z51 never bothered me, but the Cadillac provides a much better executive summary of what's going on down there.

I do not miss the sounds of the engine at rest or in motion. (You with a Z06 might, though.) The Cadillac is quieter but deeper-sounding inside, and has a nice burble outside. My mom just sent me this email after my last visit: "It's too bad that you can't hear the sound of your car when you start it up. It just sounds so powerful from outside the car." (I told her I can put the windows down whenever I want more.)

I definitely don't miss the road noise. The Vette is a great GT except for that constant gray noise, the aural equivalent of carrying a backpack around all day. The V isn't the quietest luxury car, but the difference in conscious annoyance and subconscious stress is much greater than magazine decibel ratings would suggest. I'm really looking forward to my first road trip.

Objectively the CTS-V performance is the same as my old Vette, and I'm still getting used to being high and in the front seat of a long heavy car, so I can't comment on how big that minus is going to feel to you. I can say there is a giddy feeling to hustling a luxury sedan. The fun is amplified by the fact that (on the surface) it's out of character. I hope that feeling lasts.

I never found the Vette impractical. Sure, I can put a bicycle in the back of my car now, and I can take more than one person to lunch, but the Vette fit my life just fine. In fact, it was more practical in one way: I could load/unload the cargo area from the side. Now I have to choose between backing into my parking space or using the cargo area.

I switched because it was really my last chance to make a lateral move out of a Corvette into something different. I was afraid once I got a taste of the C7 I'd have to settle for something significantly slower to get out of sports cars and I worried that would cast a pall of regret over any such move. So I don't really know what to tell you except good luck with whatever you decide.

.Jinx
    Also, because a 556hp manual wagon that's as fast as a Corvette with truly distinctive styling is exactly the kind of thing that every car guy says they'd love but almost nobody actually buys. I decided I'd rather make a mistake than forever wonder what it might have been like to be the guy who actually bought one.

sad or satisfied?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by elevated
    Edit: Gas mileage is a joke. Car is super thirsty!
    For sure. That's the price of admission though. I've accepted it and love every petrol-sucking nanosecond.
    RapidRob likes this.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    If it is truly of a concern, DON'T GET THE V! On my V1, I had a tall 6th that allowed me over 25 mpg if I wanted. The V2 will never get you any decent mpg even if you try.

So get that out of your head if you truly want a V. The rest of us all have(well, except for a couple, haha)...
    I guess thats what you call ok milage. 20-22 mpg at 70-80mph isn't really bad for this size car. Thats getting to be less the cas with the newer cars, but both my SRT8's made 15-16 / 20-22 so I guess I'm used to the price of the smiles!

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Quote Originally Posted by texasnoiz View Post
    sad or satisfied?
    Yes.

Look, I'm a Corvette guy. Fates willing, I'll own another new one or two or three before I'm dead. If I'm really lucky I'll die while driving one on a lonely mountain road and just roll off into a ravine, and they'll spread my ashes on that last corner.

And on a certain level, I can't advocate anyone giving up a Corvette for a CTS-V. (Especially a Z06 and its last-of-the-big-cubes LS7.) The Corvette is a sports car, are you nuts? You don't give that up unless you have to, man.

Or unless you're just not a sports car guy. (I like to think a lot more would be if they tried it.)
    Or unless you're a deep-in-your-bones car guy and you want to experience a great Cadillac with an unfair helping of best-and-brightest industry car-guy attention.

Though in that last case, if you think you can afford it and you're not set on a coupe or wagon, I suggest you bide your time and get a third-generation CTS-V. I think that will be the zenith of this second golden age of muscle.

So...
    I'm sad that I don't have my Corvette anymore. (I especially miss my sound system, but I'll cry about that on another day.)
    I'm satisfied that I have a new and special vehicular experience. It's a little early yet to say that the CTS-V gives me the satisfaction of owning a car that fits me and works great, but based on what I've read from the regulars here, I'm not worried.

.Jinx

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Yes.

Look, I'm a Corvette guy. Fates willing, I'll own another new one or two or three before I'm dead. If I'm really lucky I'll die while driving one on a lonely mountain road and just roll off into a ravine, and they'll spread my ashes on that last corner.

And on a certain level, I can't advocate anyone giving up a Corvette for a CTS-V. (Especially a Z06 and its last-of-the-big-cubes LS7.) The Corvette is a sports car, are you nuts? You don't give that up unless you have to, man.

Or unless you're just not a sports car guy. (I like to think a lot more would be if they tried it.)
    Or unless you're a deep-in-your-bones car guy and you want to experience a great Cadillac with an unfair helping of best-and-brightest industry car-guy attention.

Though in that last case, if you think you can afford it and you're not set on a coupe or wagon, I suggest you bide your time and get a third-generation CTS-V. I think that will be the zenith of this second golden age of muscle.

So...
    I'm sad that I don't have my Corvette anymore. (I especially miss my sound system, but I'll cry about that on another day.)
    I'm satisfied that I have a new and special vehicular experience. It's a little early yet to say that the CTS-V gives me the satisfaction of owning a car that fits me and works great, but based on what I've read from the regulars here, I'm not worried.

.Jinx
    Hi Jinx,

I see you are passionate about the Corvette! Those are such beauties, so I totally understand. I am happy the Cadillac CTS-V is satisfying you, and sounds like positive things you hear from other owners and Cadillac lovers about the vehicle. I hope you continue to enjoy the CTS-V!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

TheDarkKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Franklin

Check your inbox

sublime1996525 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Franklin

Check your inbox
    PM replied.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.