Epic road trip in my 6MT V wagon...with pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Epic road trip in my 6MT V wagon...with pics in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have never been to the Grand Canyon and started planning for the trip with my favorite +1 (aka wife) ...
    neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Epic road trip in my 6MT V wagon...with pics

I have never been to the Grand Canyon and started planning for the trip with my favorite +1 (aka wife) and my 7-year-old son a few months ago. The idea was to drive to the Grand Canyon in two days, then take the back roads through Four Corners and the mountains of Colorado to visit my parents in Colorado Springs. The trip was, in part, a birthday present for my son.

It was an epic road trip in a modern version of Clark Griswold's Wagon Queen Family Truckster, my CTS-V stick wagon. We started out in Cleveland immediately after my son's 1st grade promotion ceremony.

Start of day 2, in St. Louis. We had to stop early there because just as we were entering town, there were three tornados. This is the same front that caused major tornados in Oklahoma City. We passed through OKC on I-40 later in the day and witnessed tornado damage where the El Reno tornado crossed I-40.

Rest stop on I-44 in Missouri

The Cadillac at the Cadillac Ranch

The cars. Too bad we didn't have spray paint.

Closeup of the great sign right outside the Cadillac Ranch.

Start of Day 3, Albuquerque.

Meteor Crater, Arizona. You can see where the dirt raised up at the impact site.

V at the Meteor Crater Visitor Center.

Same day, entering the Grand Canyon National Park. Just so you know, it's $25 a car and the permit lasts a week.

Day 4, at our hotel in Tusayan, the tiny town just outside the GCNP front gates.

Sunrise on the Desert Drive at the Grand Canyon.

Tuba City, AZ, in the Navajo Nation.

Four Corners Monument, also in the Navajo Nation. With modern techniques, the monument is about 1800 feet away from where it should be, but it is exactly where it is supposed to be with the techniques used in the 19th Century.

V wagon at Four Corners. The actual monument is hidden by Native American vendor stands, and you have to walk by them to get to the monument.
    KellyE, KellyE, IBMike and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Epic road trip in my 6MT V wagon...with pics

Navajo frybread. Tastes pretty good!

U.S. 160 in southwest Colorado, approaching the western Rockies. Much fun driving in the twisties of U.S. 160, including Wolf Creek Pass, ensued.

South Fork, CO. A nice, small place.....and the place where Clark Griswold and family camped out in National Lampoon's Vacation (1983). I would say that I have a vastly better Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Unlike Clark, I actually received my sports wagon.

We proceeded to CO 112 in Del Norte to connect with U.S. 285 north through the San Luis Valley, to join U.S. 50 in Salida. U.S. 50 is another great, twisty road.

U.S. 50. I have a short video that I'll add to the thread when it's ready. U.S. 50 follows the Arkansas River until just about at the Royal Gorge, just outside Canon City, where the river turns southerly.

Spent several days with my parents in Colorado Springs. While there, we went up Pike's Peak on the train. We had relatives coming with us, so we chose not to drive up. Would have been another great drive in the V wagon, though....

Top of Pike's Peak. Colorado Springs is nearly a mile below the peak.

After a few days in the Springs, we drove home, for the most part on I-70. Trip was uneventful other than that I-70 was shut down in east of downtown KCMO on a Friday afternoon. Let's just say....whoever the moron was who planned that closure, without adequate detour signs for out-of-towners, should be fired. Thankfully, driving through the Alphabet Loop of downtown KCMO was easier than usual.

Last few pics are from Marshall, IL, just a few miles west of the IN border, on the way back.

Bugapocolapse.

My son taking pix of said bugs.

What an epic road trip. I could not have used a better car for it. The V wagon is an awesome interstate cruiser, and at the same time ready for twisty mountain road action. The best part is that after all the road trips I've taken with my son, he's been in 24 states already, a well-seasoned American traveler.

At EVERY gas stop, someone commented on the color, that the car is a Cadi wagon, and for those car guys intrepid enough to come close, they found the stick shift amazing to behold. Watching peoples' reactions was almost as good as driving the car.

My trip by the numbers:

4176.3 miles total driven; my wagon is now over 10k miles total, in six months of ownership. I guess I won't be taking it to Barrett-Jackson after all.

Best fuel economy: 20.1 mpg on one tank in the mountains of Colorado. This tank included my transit of Wolf Creek Pass. Note that EPA highway mileage is 19. Yeah. I think my engine is pretty much broken in now.

Most miles in a tank: 314.5, between western New Mexico and the Grand Canyon.

Gallons of gas burned on the round trip: 228.508, equivalent to 7.25 fluid barrels. Don't scratch my car, environmentalists, my son has already done that twice with his bike!

I am considering another epic road trip next year, to Yellowstone via Mount Rushmore and Devil's Tower.

Blakester is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    I envy your trip!

MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That car looks amazing.

I think I'd take it over my Black Diamond.

SilverrV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

im jealous. that looks like a great time.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Sounds like a fun trip Bob, you now have more miles than me, lol, remember how for so long you had next to no miles while I was cranking up the miles on mine driving all over Fla?. I've still got 8500 miles as my car is in storage for the summer but will be enjoyed when I get back to Fla. I think storing it for the summer was a good move as the darn roads around R.I are so bumpy you really can't enjoy a car like the V and I did not want to put tons of miles on the car driving it back and forth from Fla to R.I. When I drive my Opulent Blue Jetta Wagon I just pretend it has a extra 416 hp

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Great trip. The V would be awesome for a Yellowstone adventure. We need an auxiliary fuel tank option.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

What a great writeup! Almost felt like we were right there with you. Of course, that would have made your V a little crowded, but thanks for the pix and captions.

m5biemer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Wagon, Audi RS4, Jeep SRT8

Thanks for sharing, sounds like an awesome trip! Glad you were able to stay out of the tornados, that would have been pretty freaky to be in the middle of that mess.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip Bob, you now have more miles than me, lol, remember how for so long you had next to no miles while I was cranking up the miles on mine driving all over Fla?. I've still got 8500 miles as my car is in storage for the summer but will be enjoyed when I get back to Fla. I think storing it for the summer was a good move as the darn roads around R.I are so bumpy you really can't enjoy a car like the V and I did not want to put tons of miles on the car driving it back and forth from Fla to R.I. When I drive my Opulent Blue Jetta Wagon I just pretend it has a extra 416 hp
    Yeah, I'd be flying down 146 in the V. I'd see the Welcome to Rhode Island signs and turn around and go home.

You're a wuss...

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Looks like an awesome trip! Love the Griswold reference

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Those pictures and that story will trump the Barrett-Jackson any day. Great stuff! Happy you enjoyed it and stayed ahead of that mess in OK.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

No, I just want to keep my V in good shape and keep the miles down. I don't want to be racking up the miles driving it back and forth to Fla or worse yet trucking it back and forth and paying big bucks and having it get damaged that way. I think somebody is a little bit jealous here I've sensed that in many of your posts, your just pissed because you no longer have a V nor can afford another one because you made the wrong career moves or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yeah, I'd be flying down 146 in the V. I'd see the Welcome to Rhode Island signs and turn around and go home.

You're a wuss...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    No, I just want to keep my V in good shape and keep the miles down. I don't want to be racking up the miles driving it back and forth to Fla or worse yet trucking it back and forth and paying big bucks and having it get damaged that way. I think somebody is a little bit jealous here I've sensed that in many of your posts, your just pissed because you no longer have a V nor can afford another one because you made the wrong career moves or whatever.
    I haven't changed since the day you came here. I've been mocking your opinion of Rhode Island roads much longer than the month I've been without my V.

Would I rather have my V? Sure. Am I jealous? Maybe once you've owned a V for nearly a decade, too, then maybe I'll be. Until then, no.

I just find your repeated posts on saving money amusing as you buy extra Colorado trucks, diesel wagons, dream homes in FL and RI and your replacement Vs. Over and over again.

odla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

great trip! Good pics.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.