Considering ordering a 6spd Vagon...couple questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Considering ordering a 6spd Vagon...couple questions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I've been unsuccessfully looking for a used Vagon with 6mt trans (that isn't black, which they all seem to ...
    opposite locker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 OBM Vagon 6mt

Considering ordering a 6spd Vagon...couple questions

So I've been unsuccessfully looking for a used Vagon with 6mt trans (that isn't black, which they all seem to be), so now considering ordering an new one. Got a couple questions regarding available options. How I'm planning on building it us far:

-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue)

-grey leather

-recaro seats (of course)

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts?

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added?

-silver calipers

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point.

First post on this forum, and hope it won't be my last. Have always wanted a crazy fast but somewhat low profile rwd station wagon with a manual trans, and still surprised that it's Cadillac that first made it available to us in the States. Still looking for a reasonable priced used 6mt wagon that isn't black, but not holding my breath anymore...

thanks for any input

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Re: Considering ordering a 6spd Vagon...couple questions

-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue) It looks good and is actually pretty subdued except for direct sunlight, where the metallic flake pops more.

-grey leather

-recaro seats (of course) Of course.

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts? I thought the wheel option was for chrome - but that could have changed. I went with the base/painted silver wheels and IMHO they look fantastic, but the "satin" wheels are probably the most popular in this body style right now.

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added? Standard is a faux carbon-looking gray trim; the maplewood would probably look better but it is a pricey addition. I say that as a guy with the standard trim.

-silver calipers

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car To my knowledge, the Ultraview is just the name they use to describe the sunroof - which is rather large and nice. There is no alternative to it, aside from no sunroof at all. My wife's wagon has it, it works great and we've had no issues.

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point. The suede/alacantra wears fine - cleaning it occasionally helps restore life. It IS slippery in a way (poor grip relative to leather), however - and takes some getting used to. It looks great though.

Opulent Blue in direct sunlight:
    CTSV Opulent Blue - dealer sm.jpg

In overcast/gray conditions:
    KY Speedwagon sm.jpg

(2013 Opulent 6MN, titanium interior, suede package, red calipers, painted/silver wheels, no sunroof)

dcc8203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V-Wagon on order

I ordered my Vagon without the sunroof option. With my bald head I very rarely use a sunroof and to me it is just a leak and a squeak waiting to happen.

The suede is great; don't be afraid.

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No red/yellow calipers?

I wish mine had yellow calipers (black raven).

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

-opulent blue metallic (not the lowest key color, but reminds me of two of my favorites - BMW's topaz blue & lemans blue) - Yes, do it

-grey leather - sure

-recaro seats (of course) - yes

-either silver or polished wheels...not sure if the polished is worth the extra $800. Thoughts? - Graphite.

-wood trim? Does the car come with standard wood, or only when the midnite sapele option is added? - It's an extra. I have it, and I like it a lot.

-silver calipers - With Opulent Blue I'd say red, or yellow as a second choice.

-Sunroof? Have read a lot about the ultra view roof squeaking, but not much about e standard roof. Have they fixed the larger UV roof yet, or am I better off going standard? Even thought about doing the roof delete, but think I'd like that option on a $60k+ car - I have the sunroof, mine cracks when it's hot but it's fine when it's cold, it doesn't leak and I have it tinted. My issue with it is that it reduces headroom to the point that my head is almost touching the ceiling with the seat all the way down on the floor. That's fine for the most part but there's no way I'd be able to wear a helmet and maintain a good driving position. If I had the choice I would have gotten mine without the sunroof.

-steering wheel & knob - seems like most of these come with the suede. I am not a huge fan of suede in a DD as it seemed to wear quickly on some BMW models I've seen (m3, 330 zhp). What are your thought on suede...worth it? How does it wear? Leaning towards standard leather at this point. - Get it. It gets dirty but it's easy to clean. I've really come to enjoy mine.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    OBM is just badass....period. One of my favorite blues since Admiral Blue on a Corvette.

MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The sunroof is relatively quiet compared to some Cadillacs. I had a 2006 and a 2008 SRX, with ultraviews in both. Those were very noisy. The V has a smaller ultraview than the SRX, and it's much quieter. (The SRX roof was an absolute monster.)

sierrabenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon 6mt

I've had my wagon (OB, manual, recaros, no roof, no wood, with light interior, suede, graphite wheels, and red calipers -- almost exactly what you are considering) for about two and a half months now. It just passed 2K miles (been out of the country twice since I've had it, so it hasn't been used daily). Could not be happier with it. If I had to change anything, it would be the nav system, but even that is much better than the one in our 2008 MB CLS (but its not as easy to use as the nav in our F250). Love the acceleration on freeway onramps.... I did debadge it, so it is even more of a sleeper. And I have gotten a number of "thumbs up" from those in the know....

jsherid1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade, 77 CDV, 13 CTS-V Wagon, 06 911, 87 928S4

I went without the Ultraview on my 2013 TGM M6 Vwagon and have not really missed it. I did go with the Sapele wood trim and am glad I did--makes the interior feel much richer in my view. I love this vehicle!

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I've had my OBM Vagon for almost 3 weeks and the color still looks different every time I look at it. It really does pop differently in every light. IMO, I'm driving the perfect car (Recaros, black wheels, grey calipers, wood, suede, no roof).

-Ultraview - by all accounts it's a nice roof. As anyone who has ever had any car with a sunroof can attest, when the car flexes in certain ways it will creak. No big deal but some people like to get their panties in a bunch over it. Keep in mind it has no opaque shade however. I'm a fairly pale skinned guy so that is a deal breaker right there. The right half of my face hurts just thinking about it. It can make wearing a helmet a challenge if you're taller than average. For all of the above reasons I ordered without it and I don't miss it. I had a sunroof on my last car and used it every chance I could, but in this car I really don't miss it at all.

-The wood looks great. It's $800 on a $70k car. It really is much better than staring at the fake carbon fiber.

-Recaros: I can't imagine the car without them. The basic seats are nice and comfortable but they are not performance seats. It'd be like having a park bench in your living room to watch football from. Wrong tool for the job.

-interior: matter of taste. Mine's black. I like black interiors. Everyone who has the light interior raves about it so I would say you can't go wrong.

-Wheels: with 15" brake rotors good luck keeping your light wheels clean. I went for satin graphite and couldn't be happier. I'm not someone who wants to be washing wheels weekly. OBM looks great with any combo however so find what you like and buy it. You will be happy you did!

hakalugi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

agreed on the wheels. i'm happy the dark graphite is my setup, thanks to being able to not be annoyed at the brake dust on them (they hide it well).

sunroof - i'm glad i got it. i'm 90/10 on them. i hate sun coming in the top of my sun-glasses, so i keep the shade closed most of the time during the day. but there are times, at night/dusk when opening the windows and sunroof is just tops.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1023
    I've had my OBM Vagon for almost 3 weeks and the color still looks different every time I look at it. It really does pop differently in every light. IMO, I'm driving the perfect car (Recaros, black wheels, grey calipers, wood, suede, no roof).

-Ultraview - by all accounts it's a nice roof. As anyone who has ever had any car with a sunroof can attest, when the car flexes in certain ways it will creak. No big deal but some people like to get their panties in a bunch over it. Keep in mind it has no opaque shade however. I'm a fairly pale skinned guy so that is a deal breaker right there. The right half of my face hurts just thinking about it. It can make wearing a helmet a challenge if you're taller than average. For all of the above reasons I ordered without it and I don't miss it. I had a sunroof on my last car and used it every chance I could, but in this car I really don't miss it at all.

-The wood looks great. It's $800 on a $70k car. It really is much better than staring at the fake carbon fiber.

-Recaros: I can't imagine the car without them. The basic seats are nice and comfortable but they are not performance seats. It'd be like having a park bench in your living room to watch football from. Wrong tool for the job.

-interior: matter of taste. Mine's black. I like black interiors. Everyone who has the light interior raves about it so I would say you can't go wrong.

-Wheels: with 15" brake rotors good luck keeping your light wheels clean. I went for satin graphite and couldn't be happier. I'm not someone who wants to be washing wheels weekly. OBM looks great with any combo however so find what you like and buy it. You will be happy you did!
    Good stuff. Will you be driving it in the winter? Just wait!

opposite locker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 OBM Vagon 6mt

Thanks guys...great info! Some additional comments/questions:

Brake calipers - gonna stay silver, but may redo them in a matching opulent-ish shade of blue at some point. Going for a bit of a lower profile, and though they look great on the vehicle, red/yellow calipers really stick out.

Wood trim - don't think it looks all that great from the pics, but fake carbon fiber would be one of those things that annoys me every time I sit in the car. So guess its worth the extra for fake-looking real wood

Sunroof - is there actually a standard sunroof? Or is it ultra-view or nothing? Definitely want a sunroof, so if UV is the only option, will have to check that box

Steering wheel/knob - gonna stay with regular leather. Prefer the cooler feel vs suede, and the leather will be easier to clean.

Wheels - now really undecided here. I've always preferred silver/polished or bronze wheels on a blue car, but damn those black wheels look mean. And the brake dust argument is a good one. Decisions...

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by opposite locker View Post
    Sunroof - is there actually a standard sunroof? Or is it ultra-view or nothing? Definitely want a sunroof, so if UV is the only option, will have to check that box
    It's Ultraview or nothing. I would probably have popped for the standard sunroof if it was an option.

Good stuff. Will you be driving it in the winter? Just wait!
    I'm planning to! It's either that or I go buy a cheap second car. Either way I'll be driving this regularly in winter, just on the more fair-weather days.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Recaros: I have them. They're very cool. Fantastic lateral support. But... a friend of mine hates them, and he's not crazy. He doesn't like that the front of the seat is so much higher than the back. In the lowest position he feels like his legs dangle. Level the seat out by raising the back and he feels like he's sitting on a tall stool. And the side bolsters make them kinda hard to get in and out of. I see his points. I feel a skosh higher up in the car than I'd like, which wouldn't be an issue, except...

Sunroof: I have it. It's very cool. Huge glass, really opens up the car. But... the shade is a thin translucent fabric. So it doesn't absorb any sound and if you DON'T want a warm glow overhead you'll need to wear a hat. And it does steal an inch from the headroom. And I have to tell you... I'm 5'10" and even with the Recaro on the floor and NO sunroof I had to scrunch down to wear a helmet. I know if I ever track my own car I'm going to have to be a little more leaned back and a little further from the steering wheel than I'd like, which wouldn't be an issue, except...

Microfiber steering wheel and shifter: I have them. They're very cool. They feel luxurious and inviting. But... the microfiber is more slippery than leather. I know that sounds wrong, but it's true. It's not an issue for the shifter but it's problematic for me for the steering wheel. Maybe if you're a 9-and-3 never-move-your-hands driver all the time and you leverage the spokes, or you just like gripping the wheel, you won't notice. But I drive 8-and-4 with a light touch (much less strain which is important for this former RSI sufferer) and it's really messing me up.

Polished wheels: I have them. They're very cool. But... I have a Black Raven wagon and the polished being close to chrome presents a classic look; I think the silver would look dull and seem out of place. OTOH I think Opulent Blue can wear any of the three wheels and look just fine, because the blue is so BLUE that jewelry won't distract from it and a more subdued look won't subtract from it. I do think brake dust is more noticeable sooner on the polished wheels, but if you cared about not showing dirt you wouldn't be getting Opulent Blue

Wood: I didn't get it. I don't miss it. The base trim is silver with a black cross-hatch pattern. It doesn't look like carbon fiber, and more importantly, it doesn't look like it's trying to look like carbon fiber. Call it CF-inspired. I suppose some might think it looks cheap, but I think it's fine. The mix of this silver stuff and gloss black comes across a little distracted, but IMHO the wood (which can be a lot more brown than appears in some photos) might look more expensive but doesn't look any more cohesive. If I decide to put the car under the knife for audio enhancement, I'll probably paint the trim or get it wrapped to give the interior a different look.

I look forward to seeing photos of your new ride when you get it.

.Jinx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.