New to the forums... need advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By GMX322V S/C
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New to the forums... need advice in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello, My name is Armando. I live in Lehigh Acres, FL (near Ft. Myers) I'm in the market to buy ...
    Shadow Fox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Talking New to the forums... need advice

Hello, My name is Armando. I live in Lehigh Acres, FL (near Ft. Myers) I'm in the market to buy a pre owned or CPO 09-10 CTS-V sedan.

I would love to go 12 or newer, but my current situation with family matters and starting a photography business can only allow me to go a bit older.

I'm switching from my current car, a 12 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. I cannot begin to express how I've been wanting a V. Needless to say, that car is the total package for me.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars, however, I would like to know from current owners what I should look for when I see these cars at the dealer. The more I know, the better decision I an make to choose the best V possible. I'm not planning on modding it other than maybe an intake, exhaust and tune. And maybe appearance mods. Other than that, its going to stay fairly stock.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Have you researched which model you want? What specific questions do you have?
    I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.
    I love my V coupe. It is my second V and the best car I have ever owned. One suggestion is not to purchase any car that has been modded by its previous owner.

Shadow Fox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: New to the forums... need advice

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    Have you researched which model you want? What specific questions do you have?
    I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions.
    I love my V coupe. It is my second V and the best car I have ever owned. One suggestion is not to purchase any car that has been modded by its previous owner.
    I'm looking for a sedan model. I'm wondering if there are any bugs or issues with the 09-11 model years. Anything in particular that I should look for mechanically, electronically, etc. I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time. One thing that I've learned about modding (I had an 06 Subaru STi) is that it becomes a money pit once you start screwing around the motor/transmission. Besides, the base power that comes with the V is more than enough for me. I have no reason to go over 550whp.

I will, however, look into lowering the car by an inch, but I'm wondering how a conservative lowering springs affect the magnetic suspension.

Right now, I am looking for a bone stock V. Preferably a single owner car and CPO.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Hello, My name is Armando. I live in Lehigh Acres, FL (near Ft. Myers) I'm in the market to buy a pre owned or CPO 09-10 CTS-V sedan.

I would love to go 12 or newer, but my current situation with family matters and starting a photography business can only allow me to go a bit older.

I'm switching from my current car, a 12 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. I cannot begin to express how I've been wanting a V. Needless to say, that car is the total package for me.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars, however, I would like to know from current owners what I should look for when I see these cars at the dealer. The more I know, the better decision I an make to choose the best V possible. I'm not planning on modding it other than maybe an intake, exhaust and tune. And maybe appearance mods. Other than that, its going to stay fairly stock.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Hello Shadow Fox,

If you need any help locating a vehicle after you get the advice you are looking, be sure to message us and Laura or I would be more than happy to help you locate one. Good luck and welcome to the forums! Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

baabootoo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Make sure it has no tune or aftermarket parts, unless you want to deal with it. Some have had problems after the fact arguing over issues.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    I'm looking for a sedan model. I'm wondering if there are any bugs or issues with the 09-11 model years. Anything in particular that I should look for mechanically, electronically, etc. I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time. One thing that I've learned about modding (I had an 06 Subaru STi) is that it becomes a money pit once you start screwing around the motor/transmission. Besides, the base power that comes with the V is more than enough for me. I have no reason to go over 550whp.

I will, however, look into lowering the car by an inch, but I'm wondering how a conservative lowering springs affect the magnetic suspension.

Right now, I am looking for a bone stock V. Preferably a single owner car and CPO.
    Start her up, do a walkaround while she's warming up. Hover around the front of the car and listen for the dreaded isolator (supercharger coupling) rattle. If present, decide if you can live with it or be willing to part with any remaining warranty on the supercharger unit and replace the isolator with an aftermarket solid coupling (which GM says will lead to a different kind of noise, supercharger gear drive backlash/rattling).

Note: The subject of what the coupler is doing while it's rattling around is quite controversial. According to GM, the issue is "cosmetic," the fix (if granted for "customer satisfaction" while under warranty) is to replace the entire supercharger unit which, AFAIK, still comes with the same isolator design. Some engine builders feel otherwise, but they don't have to provide an 80,000 to 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Take her for a test drive; hit a few driveways at an angle to twist the monocoque ("chassis") along its longitudinal axis; listen for creaks from the center stack; if present, decide if you can live with it.

Then, make sure she's pointed straight, check your situational awareness, and mat it. See if it affects your decision on anything above. I'm betting it will.
    Trapspeed and Trapspeed like this.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C
    ^^^ Exactly!! That about sums up my entire test drive experience since my car had 36K on it when I bought it. Emphasis on "bought it".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.