Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

5K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  MacBuster 
#1 ·
Like the title mentions, there's so much good about the CTSV but I'm interested in what this car is lacking with. MPG's can't be an answer either haha.

Personally I think it should have Bluetooth audio (although there's an easy fix) and a heated steering wheel. Any other common complaints?

I'm 5 days from pulling the trigger on one, so excited!

Kevin

PS, I got an insurance quote. I'm in Utah, 23 years old, single, spotless driving record and its only costing me $65/month w/ full coverage with Allstate. Absolutely amazing!

#2 ·
My friend, this is so subjective you're bound to get answers all over the spectrum. For me, it has so many things I didn't have before and love that there's not much I "miss". Heated steering wheel? Well, I'm in Orlando so I don't miss it. I'd like the Bluetooth music streaming but this system is outdated so is my expectation realistic? Who knows? Everything I miss vanishes in about 3.9 seconds.

P.S. Do it. You won't be sorry.

#3 ·
Yea, definitely subjective but there's not a lot of wrong answers here since it's just opinion. I'm just comparing it to another option that I like, the SRT8 Charger. Not as fast and I doubt I'll get it, but even though the system is outdated, I have a feeling Cadillac could have easily capable of streaming BT. Even my Mazdaspeed3 can and it's as old as the Gen2 V's.

Any quirks with the car? Common issues? Missing features?

#5 ·
I wouldn't mind a better place for my left arm. When I'm on a long trip I like to have a place to rest my left elbow on the door armrest and my hand on the wheel ~9:30ish. Not possible here, the door rest is much too low. Otherwise, I don't have much to offer here. Wouldn't mind a heated steering wheel either. Compared to cars in this category it lacks heated rear seats, a suede headliner etc but I'm not too worried about either. The sun visors kind of suck too. Even my 1997 Lesabre had larger visors with extensions that pull out from the side.

All really really minor stuff. I love the car.

#6 ·
KevinWP said:
I have a feeling Cadillac could have easily capable of streaming BT
This is something you can do with an add-on BT device pretty easy but it would be good if it was standard.

I came out of an SRT-8 300C. Great car....different class all around. To me, a big step backwards I will discourage it. Trust your instincts. To be honest, I still can't think of any quirks that bother me. The little nuances that you've probably read about (blower rattle, rear diff whine, clicking front wheels) are more an annoyance in something so expensive but at this point my car is pretty tight at 47K miles. Tried and true GM power train.

#8 ·
I'm 5 days from pulling the trigger on one, so excited! I'm in Utah, 23 years old, single, spotless driving record and its only costing me $65/month w/ full coverage with Allstate. Absolutely amazing!
I'm in the SLC as well! Are you ordering new or used? I'm shocked your insurance rates are sooooo low. I was quoted the same insurance rate and I'm a little older than you.

Are you getting coupe, sedan or Vagon? I'm getting ready to order a 2014 Vagon once I find out all the changes for the new model year.

#11 ·
Nice! I'm down in Orem. I'm looking at a barely used 12 or 13 sedan.

----------

This car sounds pretty bulletproof. I'm not totally excited about the new look of the CTS for 2014 so I'm definitely okay with buying an expensive car that's not technically current. Wish the tech was as up to date as the SRT8 or even my bro's standard 2013 A6, but it's not missing too much that can't be fixed - like the BT problem.

----------

Oh, do the mirrors fold in upon parking?

----------

And does it have a smart or traditional key? I don't think I see a push button, but do I ever really have to take the key out of my pocket?

#9 ·
I've owned an '09 sedan and have an '11 wagon, both stick. I put plenty of miles on the cars, both commuting and on trips, and the biggest issue for me is the range. Mileage is not great because horsepower isn't free, but the small tank is a bummer. The electronics are not a high point, but they are good enough for me. The iPhone works great when you plug it in, and more and more apps are allowing dash control (Rhapsody, podcast app).

They are awesome cars.

#12 ·
Our 09 has a FOB that you keep in your pocket instead of a real key - you never have to take it out of your pocket.

My 3 gripes gripe are the size of the pillars, the trunk size, the lack of a spare. To me the pillars generate large blind spots, the trunk is small particularly for a car this size.

#13 ·
I had a 2012 SRT8 300 so perhaps I could shed some light as that is another car you're looking for.

The 300 is a very quiet, very nice comfortable car. The infotainment center is better. It has all of the bells and bluetooth junk a 2012+ car has now days (even mid level). The sound system sounds better. The surround sound with DVD's is pretty good. The touch screen stuff is nice, easy to use and looks better. The SRT digital gauges are pretty, work well, give you AIT, engine-oil temps lots of other nice things. The Hemi sounds better when you open it up. The torque feels like it comes on a little earlier, and in a smooth flat way. The torque makes the car drive very smooth with the 5 speed. Its never hunting for a gear. It has all the power you need with the 392. The charger is a bit sportier looking on the outside, but the interior on the 300 is 10x better. The seats are very comfortable, perhaps a bit softer than Racarro. Its a great blend of muscle car, luxury, fun for an everyday car. They are also quite fast.

The V is a different animal. The V is a smaller performance sedan with features designed to make it perform while driving fast on a track and on the street. The SRT8 is a large, less agile sedan, that has features added to it to make it perform better on the street, and be adequate on a track for some weekend fun. The V had systems designed and engineer specific for it to create a Euro-busting icon in the automotive industry which it did. The SRT8 is a great looking car, with a great performing engine, that grabbed some features/technology off other cars, to fine tune the beast into an all-around better car - which it was very successful at doing. The SRT8 is a car designed around a non-performance vehicle, while the V is designed after a more sporty sedan to begin with.

I feel like every inch of the CTS body was thought out. When it rains I can see the water moving over the panels with the water droplets as they leave a trail. I don’t know how aerodynamic the car really is. I would suspect some of the angles and edges may hinder this some, but the car just looks thought out. Being a polarizing car in the looks department, many probably think the opposite.

Ultimately for me, it just came down to my dream car, which is the V. The V isn’t really better, faster, more refined as a fun day to day bad ass sedan, but it’s just better at going fast. The V has a mystique going for it that the SRT8 doesn’t have. When you take a corner fast in the V and accelerate through it, you feel like you’re planted and driving a $100,000 supercar. The wheels stay down. The rear isn’t clunky. The car doesn’t feel heavy. The magnetic ride control eats up the terrain. The steering is easily the best out of any car I have driven. The power comes smooth, and presses you into the seat. The V launches better, and does a better job of continuing to put down the power to the ground. The SRT8 isn’t as stable, and does not integrate its power into the driving experience as efficiently. The SRT8 feels like a heavy car that’s been tamed a bit. The V doesn’t feel like a heavy car from start to finish, over bumps, through corners etc. Even though I rarely use it, that extra race pedigree gives me a contentment that the SRT8 didn’t satisfy. In truth, the SRT8 is a better car for the money, and it wasn’t an easy decision.

I don’t get the obsession with Bluetooth streaming. Its sound like crap, it cuts in and out occasionally. It’s convenient, but sometimes syncs when you don’t want it to. XM radio sounds like garbage in general -hollow, no power. The SRT8 has the worst reception I have ever dealt with. The V’s satellite radio is much better, but I still find it akin to streaming radio over the internet back in 1998 in terms of sound quality. The on board hard drive, now having had it with the V is better for me personally. It allows you do download mp3 at maximum quality (still not CD quality mind you) right off a memory stick.

Gripes about the V:

It lacks some tech features like tilting mirrors, functioning blind spot monitoring, active headlamps, adaptive cruise control.

The interior is really, really nice, but I would have utilized REAL carbon fiber in place of the piano black. The piano black looks fantastic but is the ONLY noticeable cheap part of the interior, and this fact alone makes it stand out.

Larger Paddle shifters should be standard, not an aftermarket necessity.

The clock looks like a cheap $15 Walmart special. Fix this with an Aeroforce Gauge. Why even have it in there if but to execute it so poorly?

The liquid crystal display of the climate control temp is WAY too large and bright. Stupid.

Ambient lighting could be a little brighter and in a color.

Cadillac exterior paint is inconsistent.

Rear bumper needs a true diffuser design.

Headlamp light bar DRL should be brighter.

I feel like the air intake system could have been better design, but I guess judging by performance it obviously works adequately.

MPG could be a grip, but I’ve driven two SRT8’s, a corvette and a trans am previous to this V so I’m basically used to getting 15MPG. I’ve been living with the “smiles per mile” mentality for a lot of years.

Headroom in the coupe is a bit constrained but I understand the compromise made to get the swept exterior look. I can live with it!

Stereo needs more EQ settings, separated sub levels etc.

The car in general sits a little high stock for my taste. I’m sure there is a reason for it. Aesthetically, I just think the wheels and rubber could fill out the wheel well, and the car could hug the ground better.

In terms of what I miss about the SRT8, really nothing. I might miss the heater steering wheel in the winter. I miss the sound of the hemi occasionally. There really is no sacrifice with the V other than money as its not a cheap car.

#18 ·
I just posted how outdated the Navigation (the entire system) software is. I had a 2012 SRX on loan and the Nav was 10 times better. The voice commands are pretty bad, my Audi syncs my contacts and allows me to call anyone if my phone book from the steering wheel. Not so much with the V. But there is the upside of 556 horses so in the end who cares!

#24 ·
Outdated in terms of 2012 cars for sure. Of course the system was outdated in 2010. In reality NAV sytem are getting behind in cars in general and until they have a system that works like an ipad/adroid tablet, and can receive updates like said devices they will remain outdated in general....

No reason to EVER pay for an update on a NAV infotainment system that is a $2000 option.

I have never been in a car with a sunroof that didn't have a rattle because of it. I was in the back of a Maybach Benz, and it rattled...but it was a VERY NICE car. I mean big bumps, crappy roads, you can only do so much with a car. There is just lots of connections and parts, and surfaces to rub together. BMW's have softer leather trim. Benz seats seam to have better surfact materials and stitching. I wouldn't put the Cadillac CTS in general behind either of those in general as they each have strong point. All of them have rattles...but we've been through this before...

#20 ·
Push on the armrest. Push on the shiny bits around the radio.

My rear view mirror base cover started rattling liek crazy yesterday. Some random rattle from the trunk area now.

I'm not complaining. This is my 4th Cadillac since 2006. I know what I'm getting, and I'm generally ok with it.

But the CTS interior is not in the same league as the Germans in terms of how well the interior is constructed, the materials, how the little pieces all fit together, etc etc.

#27 ·
MacBuster said:
Why people refuse to have an objective discussion/acknowledgement of the strengths and weaknesses of a car, is beyond me.
I think what most folks say is that you need to compare the V2 with other cars that have 2008 technology, like the V2, and not with later models of other cars. That seems fair and logical to me and is closer to apples to apples.

Jud

#28 ·
I'm generally fine with the technology. Updated technology can be over-rated.

I'm talking about squeeks, rattles and the like. And just the general notch down in terms of the touch and feel of most of the materials. They aren't a big deal, but they are there. They don't ruin the experience, but it seems silly to deny that they exist.

#29 ·
MacBuster said:
I'm generally fine with the technology. Updated technology can be over-rated.

I'm talking about squeeks, rattles and the like. And just the general notch down in terms of the touch and feel of most of the materials. They aren't a big deal, but they are there. They don't ruin the experience, but it seems silly to deny that they exist.
Understand your opinion but I have about 77,000 miles on my 2009, with no extraneous squeaks or rattles, so I must have had mine built on a "good day."

Jud

#33 ·
I actually do think there is some variability.

But a lot of what I am describing is subjective. One day here, I'll go take some youtube video of me poking my interior in various places so that I can at least just post something concrete rather than getting into a semantic debate about what constitutes "high quality materials" and "fit and finish".

#32 ·
Things I gave up last week selling my really nice STS-V to soon get a CTS-V are: Heated wheel, all heated seats, 3rd zone AC, mirrors that angle down for parking (wasn't aware of this till recently), large trunk, bigger back seat area, a color nav display that is in full view all the time, and a solid sunroof shade.

What I'm gaining: A more modern looking interior (esp at night), more power with greater potential for modding, better handling, cooled seats, and probably a backup camera (hopefully). Did I made the right decision?

#39 ·
One day when my Vagon is old and feeling tired, she'll visit Hennessy, get a completely new LSA along with a Hammerwagon package, and get a full custom interior (bye bye GM carpet). Then she'll continue on with her plan of living forever. By then manual transmissions will be considered antiques and I'll be rationing gasoline that I've stored away in a bomb shelter in my back yard.

#41 ·
spearfish25 said:
One day when my Vagon is old and feeling tired, she'll visit Hennessy, get a completely new LSA along with a Hammerwagon package, and get a full custom interior (bye bye GM carpet). Then she'll continue on with her plan of living forever. By then manual transmissions will be considered antiques and I'll be rationing gasoline that I've stored away in a bomb shelter in my back yard.
I think that the NRA edition would be more collectible. After that the George Jetson package with the infinite gear transmission should be more collectible, but only if you get the vinyl roof covering in white, along with some kind of squirrel tail hanging from the rear view mirror and tennis balls in a stocking hanging from the rear trailer hitch. Then you'll be the pimp's a**. That should do it.

Jud :lildevil:

----------

Random84 said:
It isn't an argument. :)

However, I can likewise understand why some people feel their cars have unacceptable interior noises - just that I'd assume these cars are on their second owner and/or have 20-30K miles on them. Wouldn't be the first time someone bought a certified used car and then found out the previous owner pulled out the entire interior to run a sound system or something (you know, the various reasons as to why things might squeek).

I'd wager that the number of noise complaints on one-owner cars is very small; but then again maybe Cadillac owners have better-than-average hearing sensitivities, and you and I are just on the lower end of the sensitivity bell curve?
You have to watch out for the dried pea in the seat cushion, that is OEM for all Cadillacs. If you notice it you are disqualified from ever owning another Cadillac and are immediately passed on to BMW and MB.

Jud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.