I've heard the good, now what's the bad? - Page 3
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I've heard the good, now what's the bad? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by MacBuster I'm generally fine with the technology. Updated technology can be over-rated. I'm talking about squeeks, rattles ...
  1. #31
    Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
    Age
    24
    Posts
    178

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post
    I'm generally fine with the technology. Updated technology can be over-rated.

    I'm talking about squeeks, rattles and the like. And just the general notch down in terms of the touch and feel of most of the materials. They aren't a big deal, but they are there. They don't ruin the experience, but it seems silly to deny that they exist.
    This seems to be the final generation of Cadillacs that still has actual buttons. Makes me glad I didn't wait for a newer model.

  2. #32
    PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    267

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Things I gave up last week selling my really nice STS-V to soon get a CTS-V are: Heated wheel, all heated seats, 3rd zone AC, mirrors that angle down for parking (wasn't aware of this till recently), large trunk, bigger back seat area, a color nav display that is in full view all the time, and a solid sunroof shade.

    What I'm gaining: A more modern looking interior (esp at night), more power with greater potential for modding, better handling, cooled seats, and probably a backup camera (hopefully). Did I made the right decision?

  3. #33
    MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    355

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    Understand your opinion but I have about 77,000 miles on my 2009, with no extraneous squeaks or rattles, so I must have had mine built on a "good day."

    Jud
    I actually do think there is some variability.

    But a lot of what I am describing is subjective. One day here, I'll go take some youtube video of me poking my interior in various places so that I can at least just post something concrete rather than getting into a semantic debate about what constitutes "high quality materials" and "fit and finish".

  4. #34
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    48,790
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post

    I'm generally fine with the technology. Updated technology can be over-rated.

    I'm talking about squeeks, rattles and the like. And just the general notch down in terms of the touch and feel of most of the materials. They aren't a big deal, but they are there. They don't ruin the experience, but it seems silly to deny that they exist.
    And you claim us to be liars when we say our cars are rattle free. Yours isn't. Deal.


    -- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)


  5. #35
    MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    355

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And you claim us to be liars when we say our cars are rattle free. Yours isn't. Deal.
    Rattle free maybe. But the cheap plastics, and lesser fit and finish (relatively speaking), are certainly still there. Although I bet I could hear some rattles if I drove around in your car. Your brain tends to tune them out. Mine does.

  6. #36
    Random84's Avatar
    Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    532

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post
    Rattle free maybe. But the cheap plastics, and lesser fit and finish (relatively speaking), are certainly still there. Although I bet I could hear some rattles if I drove around in your car. Your brain tends to tune them out. Mine does.
    I've never been in a car that didn't eventually develop some kind of squeak or noise - something silly like a console cover moving around, for example.

    Mileage has a lot to do with it - my wifes base CTS wagon (that coincidentally has a heated steering wheel) has more noises than I initially realized, with the majority of them coming from her standard seats!

    The flip side is my new CTSV wagon has no noises, no play in the Recaros and is actually exceptionally quiet inside: I roll up the window and it's like the ignition is almost off. I'm considering Corsas.

    Anyway, I personally think that any vehicle with 20+ thousand miles on it is going to have some noise in the same way a house will settle over time. It's just "wear and tear."

  7. #37
    JFJr's Avatar
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,370
    For the price difference between an M5 and a V2, one could have a custom interior done in any style (French bordello, etc.) and get all those "cheap" materials removed.

    Jud

  8. #38
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    48,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post

    I've never been in a car that didn't eventually develop some kind of squeak or noise - something silly like a console cover moving around, for example.

    Mileage has a lot to do with it - my wifes base CTS wagon (that coincidentally has a heated steering wheel) has more noises than I initially realized, with the majority of them coming from her standard seats!

    The flip side is my new CTSV wagon has no noises, no play in the Recaros and is actually exceptionally quiet inside: I roll up the window and it's like the ignition is almost off. I'm considering Corsas.

    Anyway, I personally think that any vehicle with 20+ thousand miles on it is going to have some noise in the same way a house will settle over time. It's just "wear and tear."
    46k miles with track days, autocrosses, drags, back road driving in New England. No rattles. No matter what others who have never driven it claim...


    -- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)


  9. #39
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    637

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    For the price difference between an M5 and a V2, one could have a custom interior done in any style (French bordello, etc.) and get all those "cheap" materials removed.

    Jud
    One day when my Vagon is old and feeling tired, she'll visit Hennessy, get a completely new LSA along with a Hammerwagon package, and get a full custom interior (bye bye GM carpet). Then she'll continue on with her plan of living forever. By then manual transmissions will be considered antiques and I'll be rationing gasoline that I've stored away in a bomb shelter in my back yard.

  10. #40
    Random84's Avatar
    Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    532

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    46k miles with track days, autocrosses, drags, back road driving in New England. No rattles. No matter what others who have never driven it claim...
    It isn't an argument.

    However, I can likewise understand why some people feel their cars have unacceptable interior noises - just that I'd assume these cars are on their second owner and/or have 20-30K miles on them. Wouldn't be the first time someone bought a certified used car and then found out the previous owner pulled out the entire interior to run a sound system or something (you know, the various reasons as to why things might squeek).

    I'd wager that the number of noise complaints on one-owner cars is very small; but then again maybe Cadillac owners have better-than-average hearing sensitivities, and you and I are just on the lower end of the sensitivity bell curve?

  11. #41
    JFJr's Avatar
    JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25

    One day when my Vagon is old and feeling tired, she'll visit Hennessy, get a completely new LSA along with a Hammerwagon package, and get a full custom interior (bye bye GM carpet). Then she'll continue on with her plan of living forever. By then manual transmissions will be considered antiques and I'll be rationing gasoline that I've stored away in a bomb shelter in my back yard.
    I think that the NRA edition would be more collectible. After that the George Jetson package with the infinite gear transmission should be more collectible, but only if you get the vinyl roof covering in white, along with some kind of squirrel tail hanging from the rear view mirror and tennis balls in a stocking hanging from the rear trailer hitch. Then you'll be the pimp's a**. That should do it.

    Jud

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Random84

    It isn't an argument.

    However, I can likewise understand why some people feel their cars have unacceptable interior noises - just that I'd assume these cars are on their second owner and/or have 20-30K miles on them. Wouldn't be the first time someone bought a certified used car and then found out the previous owner pulled out the entire interior to run a sound system or something (you know, the various reasons as to why things might squeek).

    I'd wager that the number of noise complaints on one-owner cars is very small; but then again maybe Cadillac owners have better-than-average hearing sensitivities, and you and I are just on the lower end of the sensitivity bell curve?
    You have to watch out for the dried pea in the seat cushion, that is OEM for all Cadillacs. If you notice it you are disqualified from ever owning another Cadillac and are immediately passed on to BMW and MB.

    Jud

  12. #42
    MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    355

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    you and I are just on the lower end of the sensitivity bell curve?
    bingo.

    Also...look closely at your navigation display when going over bumpy road, or a speed bump or rumble strips. Betcha it vibrates and moves just like mine does. And press on the piece of plastic bezel just below the nav display where there are symbols for Dolby etc. Bet it flexes and feels like cheap plastic, just like mine.

    Rattles are just part of the equation.

    I love the V. It's an amazing car with amazing performance at an unbeatable price. But let's not pretend it is something that it is not.

  13. #43
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Let's not pretend it's anything less than an amazing achievement for pre-bankruptcy GM.

    While we're at it, let's not pretend the German starting-under-$40K sedans are perfectly upscale and flawless.

  14. #44
    Xaqtly's Avatar
    Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    877

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Mine has some noises, like the sunroof creak when it's hot (and in Vegas that's a good part of the year), and a couple squeaky plastic bits every now and then, but it's had these noises since I got it, and it hasn't developed any new ones. So I'm pretty happy about that. Most of the time it's very quiet.

  15. #45
    RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    38
    Posts
    682

    Re: I've heard the good, now what's the bad?

    Lets not pretend the German supersedans around 100k are flawless either.....cause they ain't. Their plastic bits will move if you press your thumb into them....I guess that means they are complete garbage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting