High Mileage issue? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, High Mileage issue? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm far from a mechanic, but if it's running at full strength except during the redline shift at WOT, I ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: High Mileage issue?

I'm far from a mechanic, but if it's running at full strength except during the redline shift at WOT, I wouldn't think general items like injectors and fuel filter would be the culprit, or the WOT run up toward redline would also feel "off."

During a WOT shift in an 09 will the supercharger bypass open? Is it possible it's sticking or not opening/closing at the right time? Might not notice such a problem in light-throttle driving.

tbisme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS V

Thanks for the response.
    I've kept all of the normal maintenance on the car, so the plugs were done prior to any problems. The thing that was done after the problem occurred was to have the injectors and throttle body cleaned. No codes from the computer. O2 sensors are working.
    Here's where I'm at on this. My air cleaner was changed at 150K, so I didn't even check it at first, but after everything else, I checked it and it was "black" from what I'm assuming must be asphalt dust from the massive construction I drive through every day. I replaced the air filter. I also started using almost the entire tank of fuel before filling up, where as I used to stop every afternoon on the way home and top off a 1/3 used tank, just because it was convenient. I read somewhere that if you do this, the ethanol can separate from the gasoline, if it isn't used up in the tank, and this could cause issues with the fuel delivery.
    Since doing this, my problem has gone away. I wanted to wait a couple of weeks without any issues before I posted anything, but since you inquired.
    The change in my gasoline routine and the air filter replacement are the only things I've done and this seems to have solved the problem.
    thanks for everyone's help.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

bnagel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Great to hear. Not a major issue and still running strong with 160K on her. Nice!

I did have the rear end replaced at 120K because the carrier bearings were making a lot of noise, but it never failed.
    Other than that, it rolls hard every day.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    This part makes me think the boost bypass valve is opening for some reason:

Quote Originally Posted by tbisme View Post
    ...like its taking a deep breath, and the car feels like the traction control has kicked in...
    Does the boost gauge indicate a loss of boost when this happens?

I never thought to look at it while it occurred. I think I fixed the problem, and I'm still testing to make sure it doesn't reoccur.

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    This part makes me think the boost bypass valve is opening for some reason:

Does the boost gauge indicate a loss of boost when this happens?

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    How did you fix it? It does sound like the rev limiter but by 160k miles you'd know if it was.

This car is so quick, when you hit the limiter you hit it HARD. I thought I was going to go through the windshield when I hit the limiter in 2nd this morning.

My air cleaner was changed at 150K, so I didn't even check it at first, but after everything else, I checked it and it was "black" from what I'm assuming must be asphalt dust from the massive construction I drive through every day. I replaced the air filter. I also started using almost the entire tank of fuel before filling up, where as I used to stop every afternoon on the way home and top off a 1/3 used tank, just because it was convenient. I read somewhere that if you do this, the ethanol can separate from the gasoline, if it isn't used up in the tank, and this could cause issues with the fuel delivery.
    Since doing this, my problem has gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    How did you fix it? It does sound like the rev limiter but by 160k miles you'd know if it was.

This car is so quick, when you hit the limiter you hit it HARD. I thought I was going to go through the windshield when I hit the limiter in 2nd this morning.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

I bet the air filter was so dirty the snorkel was sucking shut near redline

This happens to guys with the stock airbox and a pulley swap. You just moved the point of restriction with the filthy air filter

(That's why LG sells the hard intake tube. With the airbox mod this is less likely to happen but it the snorkel still cavitates even with a K&N and bottom cut out of the airbox.
    GMX322V S/C and GMX322V S/C like this.

Sounds good to me.
    I'm just glad to be able to pound away again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.