Cars with worse fuel economy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cars with worse fuel economy in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; You know what's depressing? Searching fueleconomy.gov for new vehicles with worse fuel economy than the CTS-V. Anticipating the comment people ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Cars with worse fuel economy

You know what's depressing? Searching fueleconomy.gov for new vehicles with worse fuel economy than the CTS-V.

Anticipating the comment people will make, "I bet it gets terrible gas mileage," I'd like to be able to say "it's not as bad as X." But solving for X is not fun. It's almost like manufacturers have taken this fuel economy thing seriously.

V8 pickups? The small V8s are all better -- only the 6L V8s are worse, and not by much.
    Chevy Tahoe 4WD? 16/21 (17).
    Audi RS5? 16/23 (18). (Same as the SRX AWD.)
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo, surely, right? 15/22 (17).

I had to go to ritzy V12s from Bentley and Aston-Martin to find cars with worse mileage (and the Continental GT's highway mileage is still better).

For now I'm going to have to drop this exploration. If anyone can think of any not-more-ridiculous vehicles that are the same or worse than the CTS-V, please post them.

And yes, I knew full well what the fuel economy was like when I ordered the car. No, I'm not complaining about the cost, or the range, or the carbon footprint. No, I don't feel the least bit guilty. Yes, I'm fine with other people salving their empty minivan-driving souls with the thought of all the money they're saving burning smaller quantities of cheaper gas. What bugs me are when ignorant people I know make earnest comments that blow fuel consumption way out of proportion. It's nice to have something handy to quickly and gently reset them to a realistic perspective.

So for that matter if you have your own handy perspective-reset button that you like to use, please share.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tgonyaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 VAGON

Re: Cars with worse fuel economy

I just say the mpg are a little better around town and a whole lot better on the interstate than the 03 2WD Avalanche it replaced

SARDEANIE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Just think of "smiles per gallon" rather than "miles per gallon".

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Well, when its the fastest sedan around the Nurburgring, I don't care if its the thirstiest. Please don't give the E class loving g00b anything to whine about...

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

The CTS-V's lower (comparative) MPG comes mostly from the gearing. My gf's C6 Vette is almost exactly as fast as my V is, and she gets low 20s, because her 6th gear is way longer than mine is. When I'm turning 2500 RPM, she's only turning 1900. The C7 Vette gets 26+ hwy because of a combination of DoD, direct injection and that super long 7th gear (manual trans.). All the cars you found have longer top gears which would explain the better highway mileage but the same city mileage (like the Cayenne Turbo)

The V is geared for performance, so while 6th is an overdrive gear it's still short enough to pull hard to the 191 MPH top speed. I think the 7-speed TR6070 manual is a good solution for that, you can keep a shorter 1-6 and have that ridiculously long 7th for mpg. Assuming the V3 CTS-V uses the Vette's new 8-speed auto and 7-speed manual as well as a variant of the new LT1 engine, combined with lighter weight and maybe better aero, I would expect at least low 20s out of it. Maybe even close to the 26+ from the C7, seeing as how MPG is now much more of a priority than it was in 2008 when the V2 first went on sale.

As far as what other people think about my 16-17 MPG average, I could not give any less of a shit. I didn't buy this car for them, I bought it for me. Drive it and be happy.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

The Corvette's mileage is much more about the fact that it's a thousand pounds lighter and much more aerodynamically efficient than it is about gearing. IIRC the older C6 Z51 gearing is the same as the CTS-V's; it still posted great highway numbers. And note that the Cayenne Turbo gets better highway and city mileage.

Not that gearing doesn't matter, but the CTS-V pretty much checks all the bad-mileage boxes

Interesting how much fuel economy has improved overall since the CTS-V debuted. Imagine what the V3 sedan will be able to do.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The old V had ultra tall 6th gears and could get 25mpg highway all day long. 27-28 if you tried...

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The old V had ultra tall 6th gears and could get 25mpg highway all day long. 27-28 if you tried...
    Jim, those kind of 6th gears are almost unusable and self-defeating unless you are cruising through Nebraska at 85 mph. A big ratio 6th that helps fuel economy is hard to use in everyday expressway traffic.

I would prefer that 5th and 6th gear ratios are set up as part of a 6-speed, fully-usable transmission. Not a 5-speed, with a 6th gear massive overdrive designed to placate CAFE standards.

The V2 has a decent 6th gear: 0.63 with a 3.73 rear end. That's decent. V1 was 0.56 with a 3.73 rear, a little worse.

My 1994 Viper was 0.50 6th gear with a 3.07 rear final drive!!! The 6th gear was a total waste.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

You guys are forgetting the low-compression LSA engine isn't a model for efficiency even off boost. Presuming you had gearing where you could run 2,000rpm at 95mph in the CTS-V, you'd still get worse fuel economy than any Vette or previous CTS-V due to it's low compression engine, weight, and aero.

To the OP, EPA numbers may be one thing, but I'm averaging just under 15mpg in 65% highway/35% city driving driving quite aggressively. My buddy who used to have a 2010 E63 AMG (with the seven speed auto and 6.2L NA engine) averaged 14.5mpg and he is an aggressive driver. He now owns a 2013 BMW M5 with the 7-speed dual clutch/twin turbo V8. Guess what his fuel economy average is so far with about 2,500 miles on it? Right between 15-16mpg still driving pretty aggressively. And remember, this is the new super BMW with a more efficient drivetrain.

Horsepower and weight costs money to operate. I get excited every time I fill up with 93 octane because it means I'll get another 200-240 miles of smile-inducing fun.
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

My 5 door corvette was a compromise. Fuel mileage in a 556 HP manual wagon that goes 0-60 in under four seconds is also a compromise.

I made my choices.
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Keep in mind those are numbers for new cars only. Most people aren't driving around in brand new vehicles. If you get 14 mpg in real world driving then you're doing as well as anyone DDing an 8+ year old Suburban, Yukon/Tahoe, Explorer or JGC V8, Land Cruiser, Expedition, etc. In that light, I consider a V a success.

elevated is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Even the ZR1 gets 20mpg highway!

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    I think the car's biggest disadvantage to better fuel economy is its weight.
    Takes a lot of fuel to get 4000+ pounds moving in stop and go city traffic and keeping it moving on the highway.
    But at least my 6,300 pound 4wd diesel powered pickup gets 20 mpg on the highway so I use that as my economy transport . Lol

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

22 mpg running in the mountains of Colorado yesterday. Oh yeah!

sfvagon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT

Not strictly a car... but how about this?
    http://youtu.be/FzCsDVfPQqk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.