Another spare tire kit out there - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Another spare tire kit out there in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Interesting, probably will pick this up later. It's nice to have a spare....
  1. #16
    ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    112

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    Interesting, probably will pick this up later. It's nice to have a spare.

  2. #17
    The real Fast Eddie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '66 conv.deville -84 coupe de Ville- '11 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    ...Has anyone else pulled the trigger on this wheel deal? I'm surprised the thread disappeared so quickly.

  3. #18
    taken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    204

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    I had already ordered a GM unit but would have if I hadn't. I think they are making them one at a time as once
    FinestKind-CTS-V ordered his, the web site now lists it as "special order." I'm thinking that means Randal has to make up another...

  4. #19
    vincemcoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    I just received mine. I haven't test fitted it on my V Wagon yet but would like to give a quick run down. The tire is a Conti the same size as the GM kit. The tire is mounted on black colour steel rim, quite unlike the black alloy 5 spokes design of the GM kit. The 1.5" spacer has M12 studs and lugs for mounting the spare on, however, in order to mount the spacer onto the wheel hub, our factory wheel lugs are way too big to be fitted into the openings in the spacer. The only solution would be to use those spline type tuner lugs (M14x1.5") which I will have to source eventually. As a result, this is an incomplete kit although the generic scissor jack fitted well in the spare tire well with no wobble (despite the lack of provision to use the wing nut to tighten it up in its space). Lug wrench with both 7/8" (for our car's lugs) and 19 mm (for the spacer's lugs) sockets are supplied, so at least they are aware of such discrepancy. Over all, this kit is still a no brainier as the local dealers are asking upward of $600 for the GM kit which doesn't even come with the spacer. Once I get my M14 tuner lugs, I shall test the spare on my car and let everyone know.

  5. #20
    FinestKind-CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by vincemcoupe
    I just received mine. I haven't test fitted it on my V Wagon yet but would like to give a quick run down. The tire is a Conti the same size as the GM kit. The tire is mounted on black colour steel rim, quite unlike the black alloy 5 spokes design of the GM kit. The 1.5" spacer has M12 studs and lugs for mounting the spare on, however, in order to mount the spacer onto the wheel hub, our factory wheel lugs are way too big to be fitted into the openings in the spacer. The only solution would be to use those spline type tuner lugs (M14x1.5") which I will have to source eventually. As a result, this is an incomplete kit although the generic scissor jack fitted well in the spare tire well with no wobble (despite the lack of provision to use the wing nut to tighten it up in its space). Lug wrench with both 7/8" (for our car's lugs) and 19 mm (for the spacer's lugs) sockets are supplied, so at least they are aware of such discrepancy. Over all, this kit is still a no brainier as the local dealers are asking upward of $600 for the GM kit which doesn't even come with the spacer. Once I get my M14 tuner lugs, I shall test the spare on my car and let everyone know.
    Not sure what you mean when you say the kit is incomplete?
    My kit came with special lug nuts that are designed to mount the adapter to the wheel hub. ( they fit inside the the openings in the spacer, in fact they were shipped already spun onto the adapter's lugs inside the spacer )

    The standard lug nuts that came with your car are used to mount the spare tire to the adapter....so what's missing?

  6. #21
    taken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    204

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    I may end up ordering one afterall. The GM kit is backordered. Once I get confirmation my order was cancel, I'll call Randall...

  7. #22
    vincemcoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    The adapter that came with the kit has M12 studs as well as lug nuts. If you try to use these supplied M12 lug nuts on the M14 wheel studs on our car's hub when mounting the spacer, they just won't fit!

    Quote Originally Posted by FinestKind-CTS-V View Post
    Not sure what you mean when you say the kit is incomplete?
    My kit came with special lug nuts that are designed to mount the adapter to the wheel hub. ( they fit inside the the openings in the spacer, in fact they were shipped already spun onto the adapter's lugs inside the spacer )

    The standard lug nuts that came with your car are used to mount the spare tire to the adapter....so what's missing?

  8. #23
    JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    173

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.

  9. #24
    Va72mlibu's Avatar
    Va72mlibu is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by JKG
    Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.
    If someone can confirm this works I am definitely doing it. What a great idea.

  10. #25
    Big Jay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    79

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    Quote Originally Posted by vincemcoupe View Post
    The adapter that came with the kit has M12 studs as well as lug nuts. If you try to use these supplied M12 lug nuts on the M14 wheel studs on our car's hub when mounting the spacer, they just won't fit!
    So the way this kit comes, you would have to machine the adaptor to accept the oem 14mm lug nuts?

  11. #26
    Random84's Avatar
    Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    558

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    Quote Originally Posted by JKG View Post
    Has anyone thought of just buying an 18" x 8" dr37 wheel, for about $150 new, and buying with a cheap tire to make a spare? i dont think a tire of the stock diameter will fit in the spare tire tub, but what about a lower profile tire? the stock tub in the back of the wagon looks like it will take a 25" wide tire. a 225/40 18 tire can be bought for about $100, so we're at 250 for a real tire, as opposed to 350 for a compact spare, with no need for a spacer.
    That is a great idea, actually - given the price point of these "spares."

  12. #27
    FinestKind-CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by vincemcoupe
    The adapter that came with the kit has M12 studs as well as lug nuts. If you try to use these supplied M12 lug nuts on the M14 wheel studs on our car's hub when mounting the spacer, they just won't fit!
    Vince, you are from Canada right? Maybe the Canadian cars are different?
    It works fine on my 2012 CTS-V sedan bought here in New Jersey.

    The supplied lug nuts from Performance Spare DO FIT on my cars' studs and WILL tighten up flush into the adapters' recesses.
    My standard (actually not standard, they are the blue tipped nuts installed by the dealer to eliminate clicking) nuts DO fit on the studs of the adapter .

    So, remove flat, install adapter onto wheel hub using supplied nuts, install spare onto adapter using standard CTSV nuts.
    It all works, no problem.

    My only issue is exactly WHERE to place the jack. The manual says there is a cut out in the underside moulding marked with an arrow on all four corners of the car, but I don't see them. Maybe that's written for the standard CTS and the V's ground effect moulding covers them up?
    Should I push the jack in deeper under the car and try to lift on the frame?
    Anyone know?

  13. #28
    JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    173

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    i think my idea of using a dr37 wheel will be tough - technically, the 8-9" wide tire will fit in the stock space, but it may rub or bind on the stock plastic trim on the sides or especially at the rear end, on my wagon. May be a tougher fit than a space saver. only way to know is to buy a tire and put it in. i am not sure i am ready to commit to that yet, though. has anyone tried the stock front tires back there? i might try that first, and see how far off it is.

  14. #29
    JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    173

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    I took an extra tire that I had hanging around and I found that a 195/74 x 14 tire is about the biggest that will fit in the spare well, as far as diameter. That comes to about 25.5". stock tires are close to 27" in diameter. the CTS spare from the kit that many are using is about 25.3". If I bought a DR37 wheel in 18x8, with a cheap 205/45/18 tire, it should fit and be cheaper than the spare kit and not require a spacer. i think i might try that just for fun.

  15. #30
    taken is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    204

    Re: Another spare tire kit out there

    Quote Originally Posted by JKG View Post
    I took an extra tire that I had hanging around and I found that a 195/74 x 14 tire is about the biggest that will fit in the spare well, as far as diameter. That comes to about 25.5". stock tires are close to 27" in diameter. the CTS spare from the kit that many are using is about 25.3". If I bought a DR37 wheel in 18x8, with a cheap 205/45/18 tire, it should fit and be cheaper than the spare kit and not require a spacer. i think i might try that just for fun.
    I think it would be fun if you tried that too! Keep us posted.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting