Clear bra - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Clear bra in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Jinx That's two votes for "next time, the whole hood." Is it because you get chips all ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    That's two votes for "next time, the whole hood." Is it because you get chips all the way up, or is it that the edge of the film is sometimes noticeable on such a high-profile surface?
    Powerdome sticks up.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cvs View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to repair clear bra materials? I have the standard 3M setup on my car and there's a tear in the material on the right front fender behind the headlight. It looks like some road debris hit it and took a chunk out of it. Thanks.

Craig
    That would be warranteed. Take it back where it was done.

As for others comments on lines on the hood, I've never had a problem with that. It shows to others its there and that I care about my car. The reshoot every couple years is the dumbest argument on the face of the earth...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: Clear bra

Reshoot? I don't understand.

No clear bra. Reshoot with paint.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

How much does reshooting the fashia cost?
    Because the installers locally want $800 - $1200 for 3M stuff.

Crazy.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I've never had a clear bra and have just driven my cars as normal. So they have a few rock chips on the front spoiler after a few years...big deal. They didn't need a repaint.

My Escalade had 130K miles when I traded it and there weren't enough rock chips that the average person would even notice.

Taking care of a car is one thing; clear bras are the equivalent of the Italian grandmother with the plastic on her furniture! These are mid-price production cars, not 1932 Auburns on their way to Pebble Beach.

Yeah...

I want to get a clear bra for the retentive "protect my investment" side. But then I think about what else I could do with that $800+. Then I think about... "okay, so how long do I live with a mucked up saran wrap coating before I peel it off and do it again for another $800?"

After a while, I feel like it's a waste not because it doesn't work - but because everything wears out eventually and the only car I had where the paint became an issue was 20 years old, on it's second motor/trans/differential and looked so dated that no one wanted to take it for free.

And if you trade the car in for another, the dealer doesn't really care about "normal" wear and tear on a 10 year old car.

vfaninva is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    How much does reshooting the fashia cost?
    Because the installers locally want $800 - $1200 for 3M stuff.

Crazy.
    I got mine for $600. Is $800-$1200 the best price where you live?

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

I did full front bumper, headlights, half hood, mirrors, full rear bumper, and above the rear wheels where it flares out. I also went with the thermal tint that blocks out the heat, not just light, at 30% all around as it is just too dark and hard to see behind the car at night with 20% imho. I think for everything it was around $1300 if I remember. If I was not keeping the car forever, I probably would not do this.

As for it looking bad in time, my 2004 GTO has most of the same areas as this V, and the film still looks new. Granted I only have 13k on that supercharged beast, but the film does not degrade with time. Both are XPEL ultimate, same installer.

I've never paid more than $575 for a clearbra. It's warranteed and you get NO wear and tear.

As for the plastic on the furniture, its for show. I actually drove my V.

And to repaint your front end? Much, much more than $800-1200.

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

Xpel is very good. Rear fender flare in front of the rear tires is where I see a lot of chips, road debris, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I've never paid more than $575 for a clearbra. It's warranteed and you get NO wear and tear.

As for the plastic on the furniture, its for show. I actually drove my V.

And to repaint your front end? Much, much more than $800-1200.

But you bring up a good point - you no longer have the car. The Wagon is the third car I've said "I'm going to keep this one!" in the past 6 years. The other two are gone (one had a clear bra that was scuffed from bad wax jobs).

And in your case, the clear bra was likely a non issue on the sale because the car was so new/low mileage. Yeah yeah "the car was mint!" but realistically it would have sold anyway. I consider the clear bras a definite plus, but I wouldn't not buy a late model car because it didn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post

But you bring up a good point - you no longer have the car. The Wagon is the third car I've said "I'm going to keep this one!" in the past 6 years. The other two are gone (one had a clear bra that was scuffed from bad wax jobs).

And in your case, the clear bra was likely a non issue on the sale because the car was so new/low mileage. Yeah yeah "the car was mint!" but realistically it would have sold anyway. I consider the clear bras a definite plus, but I wouldn't not buy a late model car because it didn't have one.
    I no longer have it because I'm a poor bum. My '04 was supposed to stay with me for life but ended in a deer incident. That had clearbra from the beginning and looked great for well over 5 years. It would've been 25 years. And for how well I protected the paint, it would've looked great.

For anyone that can accept the front end of their car looking faded and pitted, that's great. On my Town Car, maybe. That thing will be sold with well over 200,000 miles to someone used to a TC that old looking awful.

For a car a few years old with 50,000 miles needing to be touched up? That would drive me nuts. But hey, some can accept that...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Quote Originally Posted by jb_bgg View Post
    Xpel is very good. Rear fender flare in front of the rear tires is where I see a lot of chips, road debris, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    I did full front bumper, headlights, half hood, mirrors, full rear bumper, and above the rear wheels where it flares out.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    In retrospect, I should have clear bra'd my whole wagon. A couple of new scratches from flying dust on my 4000 mile road trip so far. OBM is like black, it shows every. single. imperfection. UGH! I did the typical front third of hood, front bumper, front fenders, rocker panels, above rear wheels, side rear bumpers, and rear cargo shelf, so those look good.
    What around/above the rear wheel needs to be done?

I'm getting Xpel Ultimate done tomorrow night + Sunday -- full custom front, full hood and front fenders, behind the rear wheels into the rear bumper, and the top of the rear bumper.

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

I almost did the full roof as well on mine so when I use the roof rack for either bikes or a luggage carrier (that I might buy and have painted white diamond to match the car, which would look pretty sick imo). After thinking about it though, the roof would be a pretty easy job to do with no cuts or curves to go around since I ordered with no sunroof, so I am going to do that myself and save a bunch of cash that way.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I've never paid more than $575 for a clearbra.
    What areas were done for that price though, probably just the basic front bumper and partial hood right? When you add all the other areas in it jacks it up a lot. The guy that installs mine does most of the highend dealers in the area and he told me that dealers charge their customers $2000-3000 for the high end MB, Audi, BMW,Porsche, Lambo,Ferrari etc. If they would just get it done through him directly, they would save 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    I almost did the full roof as well on mine so when I use the roof rack for either bikes or a luggage carrier (that I might buy and have painted white diamond to match the car, which would look pretty sick imo). After thinking about it though, the roof would be a pretty easy job to do with no cuts or curves to go around since I ordered with no sunroof, so I am going to do that myself and save a bunch of cash that way.

----------

What areas were done for that price though, probably just the basic front bumper and partial hood right? When you add all the other areas in it jacks it up a lot. The guy that installs mine does most of the highend dealers in the area and he told me that dealers charge their customers $2000-3000 for the high end MB, Audi, BMW,Porsche, Lambo,Ferrari etc. If they would just get it done through him directly, they would save 50%.
    That and mirrors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.