Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I picked up my brand new CTS-V wagon yesterday. I ordered it and waited 6 weeks. I leased it. I ...
    spadad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down

I picked up my brand new CTS-V wagon yesterday. I ordered it and waited 6 weeks. I leased it. I drove the car about 23 miles from the dealership, and then the engine overheated and started smoking and several dashboard lights lit up. I pulled over and pressed the OnStar button and asked for a tow truck. The person at OnStar said that she couldn't locate a towing company, but I was in a city with at least 20 towing companies. Then she said that I was going to have to pay for the towing, which infuriated me. I talked to 3 people at OnStar, who were all useless in figuring out how to get a tow truck. I then called the dealership and they called a tow truck for me. It took more than an hour and a half from when the car broke down until the tow truck arrived. I got tired of waiting and left the car with the keys in it before the tow truck arrived. I believe that the engine was damaged from overheating and making black smoke that smelled like burning oil and plastic. I don't feel like I can trust a car that didn't make it home from the dealership. What should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down

I Would ask for a new one. What you went though even without the tow problem is crazy.

hakalugi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

wow, sounds awful. did the temp gauge spike? my 2nd car did this (not 'new') but had these symptoms, turns out the hose-clamp to the bottom of the radiator had failed and the coolant drained completely out of the car - here I was staring at the temp gauge and it wasn't high at all (yeah, it takes coolant to actually register a temp).

The good news, being a lease, this is their asset - not yours - at this point. Do leases include the "Cadillac Shield" so you can get a loaner while they sort it out?

Had it been on any test drives before your 23 miles? or were you the first few dozen miles on it?

Good luck, see how it sorts itself out, the Wagon is an amazing automobile, don't give up on it yet.

SARDEANIE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Is this for real? LOL

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

We'll have to wait for an update.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Maybe it was a dealer prep issue.... Low coolant/no coolant. Maybe low oil?

Could have been an engine that just let go.

At any rate, this is NOT typical of these cars.

Maybe they will give you a new one to make up for this, seeing as the car was new.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

Call Cadillac customer assistance center and setup a case with them ASAP! Have them escalate the issue all the way up the chain and ask for a replacement vehicle. Tell them you won't accept anything less and that you will consult a lemon law attorney if they don't replace it. Keep us updated. In any event, this is NOT typical for the V series line of vehicles. I have never heard of this happening.

Snotty Boom Body is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
    As long as you left the keys in it all should be good

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

OP, if its any consolation, I have been on this board since the beginning of this model run and can tell you that what happened to you is exceptionally rare. I am currently on a multi-thousand mile road trip with my V wagon and can tell you that these cars run like a top--they are generally dependable.

Be thankful you have a lease--it is the bank's asset so long-term you have no worries anyway. Have the dealer figure out what happened and get a Cadillac rep involved ASAP!

And WTF about no available tow through OnStar? That's unusual, too.

Blakester is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    I'm calling B.S. on this!

Zhariak is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

I don't know if this is part of Cadillac's U.S. program, but in Canada, we have a separate number for Cadillac roadside assistance. The Cadillac roadside assistance (I could be wrong) is supposed to take care of everything.

Speaking of this, I need to add that phone number to my cell just in case...

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

The post is BS.. who leaves the keys in a car and walks away? And as soon as the temp gauge hits the red, lights should be on and you'd be smart enough to pull over.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by nynd View Post
    The post is BS.. who leaves the keys in a car and walks away? And as soon as the temp gauge hits the red, lights should be on and you'd be smart enough to pull over.
    Jerry Seinfeld..................
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by spadad View Post
    I picked up my brand new CTS-V wagon yesterday. I ordered it and waited 6 weeks. I leased it. I drove the car about 23 miles from the dealership, and then the engine overheated and started smoking and several dashboard lights lit up. I pulled over and pressed the OnStar button and asked for a tow truck. The person at OnStar said that she couldn't locate a towing company, but I was in a city with at least 20 towing companies. Then she said that I was going to have to pay for the towing, which infuriated me. I talked to 3 people at OnStar, who were all useless in figuring out how to get a tow truck. I then called the dealership and they called a tow truck for me. It took more than an hour and a half from when the car broke down until the tow truck arrived. I got tired of waiting and left the car with the keys in it before the tow truck arrived. I believe that the engine was damaged from overheating and making black smoke that smelled like burning oil and plastic. I don't feel like I can trust a car that didn't make it home from the dealership. What should I do?
    Hello spadad,

I am sorry for this experience you went through! I would be frustrated in your situation also. Please keep us informed on the situation and outcome. We can continue to interact via private message in case there is personal information that needs to be collected for me to further assist you. I understand some people have a hard time via private message, so we can interact via Email also, by contacting me at socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN LAURA in the headline.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

spadad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

The dealer said a hose clamp came off. The car was brand new and had 5 miles on it when I picked it up.

----------

@ Sardeanie
    Yes, it's for real.

----------

@ Blakester
    Bad call. This really happened. Call Hudson Cadillac in Poughkeespie, NY, and ask them about it. My salesman was Glenn.

----------

@ NYND
    I left the keys in it and walked away because it was 90 degrees and I was sitting in the sun and sweating. Let someone try to steal it. They wouldn't have gotten far. Also, the temp gauge spiked and the lights came on all at the same time. I was in the left lane of heavy traffic and it took about 10 seconds to get over to the shoulder and stop.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.