Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Look into your state law for voiding a new vehicle purchase. Some states have a few days window for a ...
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Look into your state law for voiding a new vehicle purchase. Some states have a few days window for a complete refund if you have problems. If your car truly smoked and smelled, there is engine damage. Period.

Do we all need to go heck radiator hose clamps now?

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by austin

Please keep us posted as to what the issue was. Good luck.
    I think he said it was a hose clamp issue. Sucks either way.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

Re: Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down

There was an issue with my hose clamp long long time ago. Thankfully it wasn't bad and I noticed the fluid under the car before I headed to work. I'm paranoid. I always check my garage floor and look underneath on the pavement whenever leaving places.

I have a tow company number saved to my cell also. I trust them. I don't want some dumb guy screwing up anything pulling my car onto a flatbed. I don't mind paying the 50bux.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Not necessarily engine damage if it smoked, could have been something like a hose or electrical wire was routed too close to the engine or exhaust from the factory and fried and smoked making things look worse then they necessarily were and that could be why the car died too. Replace the wire or hose and clean off the exhaust and the car would be good as new. We need to know more facts and those should be known in time.

spadad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    This past weekend I was sitting in bumper to bumper crawling traffic for over an hour.. With the A/C on High.. It was a sweltering 98 degrees out!! The temperature gauge bumped up and down ever so slightly hanging around 205-210 the whole time. I was impressed.

Perhaps a bad thermostat and or a bad cooling fan relay?? This is not normal.. These cars have an incredible cooling system.

Please keep us posted as to what the issue was. Good luck.
    The dealer said a hose clamp was loose and a hose popped off. But if it was just antifreeze, I'm not sure why there was black smoke and an odor of burning plastic.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I would drive it like i stole it for a bank robbery. Test it lol.

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Now that all the kinks are worked out, enjoy the car. I brought my V used. The previous owner had 15 warranty problems, including transmission work. Now the car is perfect for me, not 1 problem.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by spadad

The dealer said a hose clamp was loose and a hose popped off. But if it was just antifreeze, I'm not sure why there was black smoke and an odor of burning plastic.
    Oh, hopefully everything will be good now.. The smoke was probably just the anti-freeze hitting the hot exhaust creating a chemical reaction.. If there is no other signs of damage then your all set.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Checking in today after spending yesterday blasting through the Rockies on back roads in the V wagon. WOW. Glad it was a simple problem, OP. Enjoy the hell out of your car. I sure am enjoying mine!

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

Glad it got resolved, so far. That really does blow, though. I would be extremely paranoid for a while until I put on some good miles. Hopefully it doesn't become a headache car you're always dropping off at the dealership, for a rental or otherwise something else problematic. The V is a good car though, hopefully yours will shape up once broken in. I hate having my time wasted especially with dealerships who don't do the right thing.

Sounds like your dealership is a good one, but as far as the Onstar goes I'll definitely be ignoring GM's renewal requests now because that part of the story is pretty mind boggling. It should be free when they're that incompetent. How do they expect to survive in the S&P if this is the standard calibration of their service? (GM goes back on Friday for the first time since the bailout)

Thankfully most of us have the Cadillac shield protection in effect, onstar is disappointing and doesn't deserve to be capitalized.

Big Jay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Do the modern Chevy smallblocks have the "limp home" mode? Did that die with Northstar or has it become so commonplace nobody bothers to list it as a feature anymore?
    My 03 C5 has it. Not sure about my C6.

Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

I just picked up my brand new CTS-V Coupe. The very next morning my wife and I drove it to our warehouse to inventory our business. About 20 miles from home, so a total of about 25 miles since I got it, cruising on the freeway and all of a sudden the car goes into "Reduced Power Mode" and the Traction Control lights up as well. I activated the OnStar and asked them to run a diagnostic on it.
    Comes back as Multi-Port Fuel Injection System-service immediately. I did not want to limp it back to the dealer I purchased it from, so OnStar called a local dealership, where I actually bought my first CTS from, and they said it was the connector on the gas pedal, came loose.

Brand new cars do break!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I just picked up my brand new CTS-V Coupe. The very next morning my wife and I drove it to our warehouse to inventory our business. About 20 miles from home, so a total of about 25 miles since I got it, cruising on the freeway and all of a sudden the car goes into "Reduced Power Mode" and the Traction Control lights up as well. I activated the OnStar and asked them to run a diagnostic on it.
    Comes back as Multi-Port Fuel Injection System-service immediately. I did not want to limp it back to the dealer I purchased it from, so OnStar called a local dealership, where I actually bought my first CTS from, and they said it was the connector on the gas pedal, came loose.

Brand new cars do break!
    Hello Mr. Hyde,

I apologize for the experience you and your wife had to go through with your brand new vehicle. Is the vehicle at the dealership being fixed right now? I hope you have the vehicle back in your hands soon, and can enjoy your CTS-V!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Mr. Hyde is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Three days later and all was well. Got her home and gave her a good bath. Noticed two small dents in the hood. Of course no one wants to take "credit" for those dents, so I have a brand new car that was in my hands for a total of two days now and I have to either live with the dents or pay the expense out of my own pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Mr. Hyde,

I apologize for the experience you and your wife had to go through with your brand new vehicle. Is the vehicle at the dealership being fixed right now? I hope you have the vehicle back in your hands soon, and can enjoy your CTS-V!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Noticed two small dents in the hood. Of course no one wants to take "credit" for those dents, so I have a brand new car that was in my hands for a total of two days now and I have to either live with the dents or pay the expense out of my own pocket.
    Dude that sucks. My dealership has a paintless dent repair service. I never used it but call up your dealership, tell them, let them pay for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.