Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'd demand a brand new car....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I'd demand a brand new car.

spadad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Re: Brand New CTS-V Overheated and Broke Down

GM would not take the car back, but offered to pay for the first month of the lease. I guess I'll try it again and see how it does. But I still think OnStar is worthless.

So the engine isn't toast?

spadad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    So the engine isn't toast?
    There was some black smoke coming out of it that smelled like burning plastic and oil, but apparently the engine works fine. I'll find out when I drive it.

RGaret is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by spadad View Post
    GM would not take the car back, but offered to pay for the first month of the lease. I guess I'll try it again and see how it does. But I still think OnStar is worthless.
    Do yourself a favor and get yourself an attorney. I would not want anything to do with this car now. Something like this is completely unacceptable.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

spadad, this is a VERY unusual failure. I've sat in 100F+ heat in park at idle for over an hour and the coolant temp gauge never even flinched. I've always had good luck with Onstar.

EDIT: So, a hose clamp fell off and caused this major issue? That sucks. GM should make it right for you. If the engine wasn't damaged (it typically protects itself with situations like this), you should be back on the road soon.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get yourself an attorney. I would not want anything to do with this car now. Something like this is completely unacceptable.
    I am THAT guy that will nearly blow up a building over a customer service issue, but consider these facts:

1. It's a lease, so if the engine fails down the road, he'll get a loaner (with free miles) while they put in a new engine on his leased car.
    2. He's getting one month free, so that's $600-900+ dollars depending on terms for his trouble.
    3. Black smoke is weird, but typically the engine will shut itself down if parameters go outside a certain tolerance, so it's possible fixing the clamp and putting in fresh coolant, the engine will be fine.

If this guy bought this car (i.e. he didn't lease it), I'd be agreeing with y'all to demand another car, but since it's a lease, who really cares? They'll fix his car and he'll get another CTS or ATS to beat on while his car is in the shop saving the miles on his lease. That's the way I look at it with my CTS-V lease.

And I've tracked my V to 150mph at VIR in 95 degree heat. No issues whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by quikag View Post
    spadad, this is a VERY unusual failure. I've sat in 100F+ heat in park at idle for over an hour and the coolant temp gauge never even flinched. I've always had good luck with Onstar.

EDIT: So, a hose clamp fell off and caused this major issue? That sucks. GM should make it right for you. If the engine wasn't damaged (it typically protects itself with situations like this), you should be back on the road soon.

----------

I am THAT guy that will nearly blow up a building over a customer service issue, but consider these facts:

1. It's a lease, so if the engine fails down the road, he'll get a loaner (with free miles) while they put in a new engine on his leased car.
    2. He's getting one month free, so that's $600-900+ dollars depending on terms for his trouble.
    3. Black smoke is weird, but typically the engine will shut itself down if parameters go outside a certain tolerance, so it's possible fixing the clamp and putting in fresh coolant, the engine will be fine.

If this guy bought this car (i.e. he didn't lease it), I'd be agreeing with y'all to demand another car, but since it's a lease, who really cares? They'll fix his car and he'll get another CTS or ATS to beat on while his car is in the shop saving the miles on his lease. That's the way I look at it with my CTS-V lease.
    I see your points, I too lease and don't buy for these reasons. But, consider that he's paying for a CTS-V. If they gave out a CTS-V as a loaner then no harm, no foul. But they don't. It's like renting a room at the Ritz Carlton and getting a room at the model 6 for the same money. It would make me upset. I wrapped a new (7 month old) Lexus around a Honda Civic a few years back. Car was fixed like new, but I couldn't stand driving it anymore. When the lease was up, I returned it, no problem, no loss to me at all.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by RGaret View Post
    I see your points, I too lease and don't buy for these reasons. But, consider that he's paying for a CTS-V. If they gave out a CTS-V as a loaner then no harm, no foul. But they don't. It's like renting a room at the Ritz Carlton and getting a room at the model 6 for the same money. It would make me upset. I wrapped a new (7 month old) Lexus around a Honda Civic a few years back. Car was fixed like new, but I couldn't stand driving it anymore. When the lease was up, I returned it, no problem, no loss to me at all.
    He'll still have the miles to rack up when he gets the car back from the shop though. So, in the meantime he can rag out a V6 CTS or an ATS and those miles don't count towards his annual lease limit. I'm a few thousand miles over my lease, so if my car breaks down, I actually don't mind. It'll help me bank back some of those miles. So, using your Ritz analogy, you'll still get the same number of nights at the Ritz that you paid for, they just need to move you to Motel 6 for one night and they are giving you a free night at the Ritz for compensation. Not that bad of a deal overall.

And remember, this will only be an issue if the engine actual fails or he has other issues down the road which isn't necessarily a given. In the meantime, they're already paying a month of his lease for his trouble, so that compensates some of his hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by quikag View Post

He'll still have the miles to rack up when he gets the car back from the shop though. So, in the meantime he can rag out a V6 CTS or an ATS and those miles don't count towards his annual lease limit. I'm a few thousand miles over my lease, so if my car breaks down, I actually don't mind. It'll help me bank back some of those miles. So, using your Ritz analogy, you'll still get the same number of nights at the Ritz that you paid for, they just need to move you to Motel 6 for one night and they are giving you a free night at the Ritz for compensation. Not that bad of a deal overall.

And remember, this will only be an issue if the engine actual fails or he has other issues down the road which isn't necessarily a given. In the meantime, they're already paying a month of his lease for his trouble, so that compensates some of his hassle.
    I hadn't considered the mileage issue. I never go over miles on mine. As long as the car gets fixed and doesn't sound too much time in the shop. In other words, I hope this doesn't become a lemon. But if it does, then GM would have to buy the car back so again, all would be made right.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

My concern would be head gasket issues. If the oil turns into chocolate milk in the future, you have a problem.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

As long as this is documented you should be covered for any issues down the road associated with an overheating.

SilverrV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V-TWIN View Post
    Call Cadillac customer assistance center and setup a case with them ASAP! Have them escalate the issue all the way up the chain and ask for a replacement vehicle. Tell them you won't accept anything less and that you will consult a lemon law attorney if they don't replace it. Keep us updated. In any event, this is NOT typical for the V series line of vehicles. I have never heard of this happening.
    Depending on the state lemon law would not apply. Lemon law requires the same problem or multiple problems within a time frame. Although it sucks lemon law would not be applicable. I think the dealer should do the right thing and replace the V

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by quikag
    spadad, this is a VERY unusual failure. I've sat in 100F+ heat in park at idle for over an hour and the coolant temp gauge never even flinched.
    This past weekend I was sitting in bumper to bumper crawling traffic for over an hour.. With the A/C on High.. It was a sweltering 98 degrees out!! The temperature gauge bumped up and down ever so slightly hanging around 205-210 the whole time. I was impressed.

Perhaps a bad thermostat and or a bad cooling fan relay?? This is not normal.. These cars have an incredible cooling system.

Please keep us posted as to what the issue was. Good luck.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Do the modern Chevy smallblocks have the "limp home" mode? Did that die with Northstar or has it become so commonplace nobody bothers to list it as a feature anymore?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.