Audio system/ speakers - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Audio system/ speakers in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon That's exactly what I find....being an electric bass player it's especially frustrating Do ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: Audio system/ speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    That's exactly what I find....being an electric bass player it's especially frustrating
    Do you think you'll learn to live with it, or are you getting the itch to try to improve it?

JKG
    JKG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here is my plan for adding more bass. this is a compromise, but I am not going to go too crazy for the sound system. I plan to use the wires coming off the subwoofer in the spare tire well (it is so lightweight and so plastic that I cant imagine it realy does much) to drive a separate single channel amp, that I mount somewhere below the rear cargo floor. there is a ton of room down there. Power can easily be taken off the battery, which is right there in the rear.
    I will put a 10" subwoofer either in a separate enclosure attached to the floor with the child seat tie downs, or maybe just make up a faceplate to mount the sub in the driver side rear storage bin. The subwoofer will fit there, but there is not a lot of volume for the subwoofer enclosure. I am not sure how well that storage bin will work, but it makes a really nice, out of the way spot to mount a 10" or even an 8" sub.

Does anyone know what the 5 wires coming into the factory subwoofer are? There is a thick red and black, which I think might be power and ground. There are 3 smaller wires. Anyone know how to find out?

If we know what the wires are there, replacing the factory sub with something better becomes easy,

Hard to believe the factory sub could ever do anything below the "spare tire cover plate" and also below the cargo floor. There are 2 thick panels on top of it!! I know bass is supposed to be not directional, but putting 2 "walls" between the bass and the passenger compartment seems stupid.

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

I thought you needed a much bigger box for a ten-inch than that tiny little side cubby.

JKG

you definitely need a bigger box to work best. i wonder if I left the "enclosure" partly open, to simulate a small ported box, if this would work. It is not definitely not a great arrangement, but I may try it because it would be good packaging - the subwoofer is out of the way. I just need some direction on which wire is what on the stock subwoofer harness. anyone?

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Do you think you'll learn to live with it, or are you getting the itch to try to improve it?
    I'm going to live with it for now...too many other things taking budget priority at the moment (outdoor kitchen and hot tub)

My good friend is an expert in car audio so when I'm ready I'll unleash him to do some research and come up with recommendations.

cruiser68 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

On my 2011 I had four wires to the sub. Power, ground, signal +, signal -. The sub amp is built into the sub. The signals on the connector are pre-amp level signals. 2 signal wires to input of amp then done. Just make sure you have an amp with a volume control. The bose significantly reduces bass as the volume goes up.

I used a JL 500/1 amp and a JL 10w3 sub in a small box that fits in the spare tire well.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak View Post
    XM, not so great quality... Your own CD's, files, etc... Should be crystal clear.
    I don't listen to XM. Just the radio and MP3s - the same files I play on other sources and they sound great with rich, deep low end response.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    I find my wagon also lacks bass/mids. It's like the trunk area swallows all the bottom end.
    Yeah... I can feel the bass (mildly) so I know the speakers are on - but it doesn't sound like it. More like an old LP with just highs.

I tried to adjust all three of the settings (!) to no avail.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

I may try reversing the polarity going to the sub, plus for minus and see what happens. I did this in my last car (Pontiac G8GT) and it sounded so much better reversed for some reason, gobs more bass it was strange, then everybody started doing it when they read the thread about it. Worth a shot with my Vagon, I'll try it when I pull it out of storage next fall.

JKG

If the Bose amp reduces output to the subwoofer and higher volume, I wonder if I could take the subwoofer INPUTS from the head unit to the Bose amp and run those to a separate amp before the Bose amp rduces output. The Bose amp is right in the rear of the wagon near the subwoofer. from previous posts, that seems to be the blue and white wire and the green and white wire, or something like that. Has anyone done this as opposed to pulling signal off the subwoofer directly?

JKG

And finally, the original question, does anyone have a wire guide to the car? can anyone tell me how to figure out what the 5 different wires to the subwoofer unit are for?

galaxyfe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    I may try reversing the polarity going to the sub, plus for minus and see what happens. I did this in my last car (Pontiac G8GT) and it sounded so much better reversed for some reason, gobs more bass it was strange, then everybody started doing it when they read the thread about it. Worth a shot with my Vagon, I'll try it when I pull it out of storage next fall.
    this sounds like the polarity was reversed in the first place which would essentially cancel all bass.

I have a 2011 schematic if that helps.

Regarding the bose amp, if it is the same as my 08 Yukon system, the head unit outputs a constant signal and volume and tone control are done through the AMP. The output from the preamp is the same no matter the volume position. I believe the system sends messages to the bose amp to handle all audio control. Only true solution on my 08 was to take all outputs from the bose amp and put them through a Cleansweep unit to take out all the bose equalization and provide low level clean outputs to your new amps and speakers.

Did not want to take that extreme step as I prefer the sound of the exhaust

JKG

I read that somewhere, about the volume control being through the amp. so then, have to take signal off the bose amp if I want the head unit volume control to work, but then have to accept the cutout of bass at higher levels. these bose systems suck. if you can pass along the wiring info on the 5 wires going to the subwoofer, that would be super.

Quote Originally Posted by JKG View Post
    I read that somewhere, about the volume control being through the amp. so then, have to take signal off the bose amp if I want the head unit volume control to work, but then have to accept the cutout of bass at higher levels. these bose systems suck. if you can pass along the wiring info on the 5 wires going to the subwoofer, that would be super.
    The 2011 have 4 wires so I don't think that will help.

JKG

can you tell me the colors and purpose of the 4 wires on the 2011 subwoofer? Also, anyone have any hints how to remove the rear driver side interior wagon panel?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.