Locked my keys in the trunk. Is this supposed to happen the way it's designed?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Locked my keys in the trunk. Is this supposed to happen the way it's designed? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My keys were in my golf bag. I took the bag off the cart and set it down right next ...
    Mr. LCP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Locked my keys in the trunk. Is this supposed to happen the way it's designed?

My keys were in my golf bag. I took the bag off the cart and set it down right next to the trunk, then reached for the trunk, opened it with my hand and threw the bag in and closed the trunk and got back in the cart to go have a beer inside. Then I realized my keys, wallet, etc. were still inside the golf bag. But the trunk was locked and wasn't going to open. At least I was only playing a short ways from home so getting keys and coming back wasn't a big deal, but still this situation kind of sucked and could easily be repeated, even though it seemed pretty out of character for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    OnStar.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Locked my keys in the trunk. Is this supposed to happen the way it's designed?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    OnStar.
    Yeah, that. It's a good reason to re-up every year.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Re: Locked my keys in the trunk. Is this supposed to happen the way it's designed?

Either onstar or locksmith if you got no second keys. I've thought about that with my new VW how screwed I'd be if I locked my keys in a bag in the hatch without the option of onstar. I'm really careful.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm surprised that given the proximity of the fob in the bag which was in the trunk that it wouldn't allow it to open again. Must be a finicky setup.

Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    I'm surprised that given the proximity of the fob in the bag which was in the trunk that it wouldn't allow it to open again. Must be a finicky setup.
    Probably a dying battery...

The vehicle should have honked 3 times when the fOB was left in the car... It should have remained unlocked for atleast a little while.

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    This... or you have a lead shielded golf bag. I tried duplicating what you did, however the trunk and doors opened every time.
    Battery in the fob failing?

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT
    I've done the same thing. I just keep trying to open the trunk and eventually it opened. I did try to rock the car back and forth. Really stupid design IMHO. If the fob is within 3 feet of the car, everything should work, including the key on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak

Probably a dying battery...

The vehicle should have honked 3 times when the fOB was left in the car... It should have remained unlocked for atleast a little while.
    It still does that if I leave it in the cabin after turning the car off. This is a different situation though since I was returning to a previously locked car and there is no lock to consciously activate after closing the trunk. By my estimate the key would have been in the middle to the front part of the trunk with the bag being diagonal. Maybe I'll experiment with it in closer proximity to the rear of the trunk.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

No offense to the OP.... But has technology made us this brain-dead? Ever since I've been around cars, I was careful to NEVER put the keys in the trunk because when you slammed it, it locked and you were stuck. In my opinion, this is kind of like slamming a piano lid on your wang and then wondering why it hurts.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    One more reason to get the wagon

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Interesting....never locked the fob in the trunk, but I do know that you have to be pretty close to the doors to get them to open. If I am at the trunk, the passenger or driver door won't open...trunk on the other hand will.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    No offense to the OP.... But has technology made us this brain-dead? Ever since I've been around cars, I was careful to NEVER put the keys in the trunk because when you slammed it, it locked and you were stuck. In my opinion, this is kind of like slamming a piano lid on your wang and then wondering why it hurts.
    How can you not lulz?

In the old days I couldn't have opened the trunk without using the key, either by pushing a button in my hand or putting the key into an external lock. Mind you the key was in a bag on the ground next to the bumper. It could have just as easily been in my pocket and all would have been fine. If my golf bag would have been another foot or two away from the bumper it probably wouldn't have opened, and I would have gotten my keys out of the bag.

rekctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    Either onstar or locksmith if you got no second keys. I've thought about that with my new VW how screwed I'd be if I locked my keys in a bag in the hatch without the option of onstar. I'm really careful.
    Don't forget Cadillac Roadside Assistance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.