Thinking of Autocrossing the V Wagon - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Thinking of Autocrossing the V Wagon in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hello, Sounds like fun. They put on great events. Maybe reach out to one of the Challenge drivers to see ...
    Dr. Design is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Thinking of Autocrossing the V Wagon

Hello,

Sounds like fun. They put on great events. Maybe reach out to one of the Challenge drivers to see if they will go with you. One thing that we have noticed about people trying to teach other people about tracking this car, is that most people don't understand the characteristics of a 4200lbs high powered RWD car like the Caddy. The car is capable in stock trim. Just see what it does first and learn from that experience. Once you get the first one under your belt there has already been a trail blazed for you to follow!

Here is another V owner when he first started to autox his car.

Here is the same car after he decided he wanted more.

In regards to the air bags and their "deployment", please PM us and we can let you know under exactly what conditions it would happen. Please don't be alarmed as it is not going to deploy when you instantly hit 1G.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by dennych View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm considering autocrossing the Vwagon for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any advice.
    http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=429

Never autocrossed before except with mfr's cars at events. Anything in particular for prep I should take care of?

All I know thusfar is make sure to have a helmet and remove the fuses for the airbags.

----------

Did you have your fuse in? What tires were you running?

Unfortunately there was much more than just (1) occurrence...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    No. There was one freak occurrence. My V had readings of 1.45g and I was throwing it so violently on my last autocross course, OnStar called thinking I was in an accident...
    Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    [/COLOR]Did you have your fuse in? What tires were you running?

Unfortunately there was much more than just (1) occurrence...

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    Didn't happen to me, just heard the infamous story and saw the video. People just recommended to take the fuse out. Running stock tires. Also Your picture comparison looks like a dangerous slippery slope

PM sent.

As for the slope... To his defense it took him about a year to work up to that level. But he is also now enjoying his CTS-V to the level in which he desires!

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by dennych View Post
    Didn't happen to me, just heard the infamous story and saw the video. People just recommended to take the fuse out. Running stock tires. Also Your picture comparison looks like a dangerous slippery slope

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

You should absolutely autocross the V. Just because it's not a Lotus Exige doesn't mean it can't hold its own or make you a better driver. Frankly, I think taking it out to an autocross is a MUST DO just to understand the handling dynamics better. See how it turns in, understeers, oversteers, handles a throttle mash in a corner, manages trail braking, etc. To be a better high speed driver, you need to do autocross and HPDEs. Do only HPDEs and you'll take forever to (or never) learn car control. Do a lot of autocross first and you'll be prepared to easily save slides or mishaps at an HPDE much more readily.

Xaqtly is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

As a counterpoint, the CTS-V was born on the Nurburgring, not in a parking lot.

LOL. There are great advantages to both platforms. It never hurts to learn how to catch a 4200 lbs RWD vehicle when the back end decides to step out on you. We play catch in our car several times in just a 20 minute stint, granted it happens at some pretty scary speeds. The important thing is to learn the car. Whether you do that on a closed course, HPDE, AutoX, every bit of track time helps.

Alan of CTSVRACING.COM is a really good driver and I don't recall him hitting the autoX. He is now an instructor on the East Coast. But again it depends on the driver too. At the end of the day just have fun and drive within your abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    And how much time has YOUR V spent in a parking lot vs Nurburgring?

----------

Also, its safer and easier to hit the limits on an autocross. And you can push the V past it. Do that on a track?

There is not one person who has done an autocross and would discredit it. Unless they were clueless to what they do behind the wheel...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Xaqtly is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Little defensive there Jim? The V was very literally designed and tuned for big fast tracks. You can autox in a V, it just won't be very good at it, as slow sharp turns are not the V's forté. Besides, I never said anything was wrong with autox. The V just works better on a track.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Little defensive there Jim? The V was very literally designed and tuned for big fast tracks. You can autox in a V, it just won't be very good at it, as slow sharp turns are not the V's forté. Besides, I never said anything was wrong with autox. The V just works better on a track.
    Then go get a Vette. Or get a Miata to autocross.

One should be going to a track to learn and be a better driver, no matter the car...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.