Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Gents, Brand new here and I'm torn between moving to a 2008 E63 or a 2009/10 CTS-V. I previously owned ...
    AlexTaylor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE - But Soon!

Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide

Gents,

Brand new here and I'm torn between moving to a 2008 E63 or a 2009/10 CTS-V. I previously owned a quick E55 AMG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffK2MQWylo) but am falling in love with the V. Travelling for business this week so I rented a 2013 CTS-V with only 2.5K miles on it and it's a beast!

What I like about the V is how inexpensive (relatively) it is to modify vs. an AMG. Maintenance/repairs are also much cheaper (I'd get an extended warranty) and I'm guessing the V is much more reliable. My E55 was NOT reliable to put it mildly but a joy to drive when it ran.

I live in AZ and drive 100 miles daily to and from work in the heat. I am seriously considering getting a V but AMG is still pulling on my heartstings a bit. (I recently sold my E55).

Any advice, guidance, counsel would be appreciated!

Thank very much.

Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Re: Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide

V hands down...

Thanks! About to hop in my rental (it was a 4 day rental) now and drive it back to the airport.

Appreciate it!

Alex

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

I guess I should elaborate

All the below favour the Caddy.

1 - Repair and modification costs
    2 - Overall Performance (Straight line and twisty)
    3 - Aftermarket support
    4 - Looks (subjective)
    5 - Drivetrain reliability especially with modifications
    6 - $$$ / HP is impossible to beat

Bullet Tooth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I bought a V after owning an E55 for 5 years. I was torn between a CLS63 and the V. I bought my V about 1.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier. Here is what I said after buying the V (I obviously didn't do a comparison with the E63):

First post here, although I spent a great deal of time on here before my purchase last week. It is my MO to research cars to death before I buy them and this car was no exception. I took delivery 8 days ago of a new 2012 V, White Diamond with graphite wheels and Recaros. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the Alcantara steering wheel. I have already plasti-dipped my grill (that is an entirely different thread, as I need to explain my wife's reaction to seeing a spray can in front of my new car.)

I am coming out of a 2004 E55 AMG. I purchased that car used in 2006. It has 125,000 miles on it and I was ready to get something new(er). I am a guaranteed car nut and have owned several cars through the years, including a G55 and S550 MB, a 745i BMW and a couple of really nice toy cars. But, I have to say the E55 is the best car I have ever owned. I sold the E55 to one of my law partners, so I still see it every day.

Since I remarried again 5 years ago, the accountant wife has slowly enlightened me on the folly of car ownership (not really), so the car buying has been put on the back burner a bit. With that said, I was considering the new CLS63, the CTS V and/or a used Panamera Turbo. I should also tell you that I get a full boat GM discount on new GM cars, since my father-in-law recently retired from a long career with GM. When I began looking for a new daily driver, the wife encourage me to start with the V, as she absolutely loves her Escalade. I went to the dealership about 3 weeks ago and drove the V for the first time and absolutely loved it. Based on the huge price difference between the V and the other 2 cars I was considering, I didn't go look at anything else.

Since I may have a bit of a different perspective than others, based on my years driving MB, I thought I would share my thoughts. Some are just my personal issues, but most are my observations when comparing the V to my E55:

Pros:

1. Handling and ride is much better than in the E55 (I understand it is a heavily used car compared to a new one, but the difference is strikiing)
    2. Ingress/egress is much easier in the V
    3. I actually like the interior better in the V. The stereo is substantially better in the V, as the E absolutely sucked.
    4. The V seems much more refined

Cons:

1. The V does not seem as responsive as the E. Because I am still breaking it in, I have not absolutely romped the V yet. But, in my limited "spirited" driving, the V seems much slower to grab you. From a dig, stomping on the E was a violent experience with immediate throttle response. I am hoping that, after the break-in period, I will be as pleased with this as I was the E. (My E ran a 12.3, bone stock and I will be taking the V down the same strip at some point this spring.)
    2 Recaros. Maybe I just don't have them dialed in yet. But, the E55 had the dynamic seats in it and they were absolutely great. I am just not there yet with the Recaros.
    3. Color. I must say that I love the color right now and it is certainly not the car's fault. I am just worried. Prior to this car, I have only owned 1 car that wasn't black. I was ready for something different and I do absolutely love it right now. I hope I do in 3 years.
    4. Exterior styling. I can't help it, but I absolutely love the styling of the AMG's. I am coming around on the V though.

I do have a few mods planned, but nothing too severe. I plan on putting on a Corsa exhaust, a 9.55 lower pulley, a CAI and maybe a tune (haven't decided on this yet, as I don't want to void any warranties.) Those are my initial thoughts. Be kind.

That was over a year ago. I am still very happy with the car and don't regret anything. There are a few threads on this very subject. Do a search and you will see what others have said about it.

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaylor

What I like about the V is how inexpensive (relatively) it is to modify vs. an AMG. Maintenance/repairs are also much cheaper (I'd get an extended warranty) and I'm guessing the V is much more reliable. My E55 was NOT reliable to put it mildly but a joy to drive when it ran.
    Welcome. See above and enjoy your V. That's really all you need to break the "tie".

Thank you all, particularly you bullet as I to had a 2004 E55 AMG. I agree with everything you've said as I just returned the rental and it was basically a 4 day test-drive for me in a 2013 V. It was loaded, recarro's, full glass roof, alcantera (SP?) wheel, black on black with black wheels and yellow calipers, the works. And as I plan to mod my V heavily,the mod price is unbeatable!

Thanks again, hopefully it's OK if I lurk here a bit to learn more, this has been very helpful! Already miss my rental.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

V all the way. Unless you can get a 10+ E63, I wouldn't mess with the earlier models. Just a little too sloppy even if that 6.2 NA V8 sounds awesome. I've driven an '07 E63 and '10 E63 and the driving difference is huge. The '10 E63 feels WAY better in the overall drive than the earlier model.

Either way, get the V. You definitely won't be disappointed.

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You used the words "extended warranty" & "modify" in the same sentence.

RaVeNous is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

unless we are talking 2012 or newer AMG I would say no. The V is faster, and will have warranty. It will also probaly keep its value better if that is important to you.
    Random84 and Random84 like this.

SoCal_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan - diamond white / graphite wheels
    You're asking whether to buy a cts-v or an AMG on a Cadillac forum? What do you expect everyone to say? Lol.

I'm on year 2 with my V sedan. Love the power and speed....not much of a fan of the interior, sound, or parts quality. My next car will be an AMG for those reasons.

Pick the car you like. Ask around here and all you'll hear is "CTS-V hands down" because we all have made an investment in this car, which makes people a little more than biased.
    GM-4-LIFE and GM-4-LIFE like this.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    I wouldn't say bias as much as the V is faster for less money. Thats just a fact. And if you want it to be even faster... then just spend $20000... and it will be insane GTR fast and still will have spent less money than an E63. Just facts. If you want to go fast and blow cars off the road that cost way more than the V... Then get the V. If you need better interior pieces.... which entirely subjective and not a fact. Then get the MB. Good luck with whatever your choice is. If you pick the MB I guess from now on I will wave as I pass just like I do with BMW M5s. Everytime I pass I think damn they must be comfortable and those interiors must be really nice to look at for an extra $20, 000.! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    You used the words "extended warranty" & "modify" in the same sentence.
    I did indeed. CNA covered over $20,000 in repairs (parts & labor) and my E55 was heavily modified. It can be done trust me.

----------

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Having a CTS-V for 4 days really has me thinking. I have 3 young kids so 4 doors is a must and I'm an Executive at a software company so a GTR or GT500 is out.

Thanks again.

Alex

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    If I had it to do all over again I'd get a wagon. I love the coupe. But the wagon is just so rare and useful.
    Bubba Ho-Tep and Bubba Ho-Tep like this.

oneman42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan, Black, 6MT, no mods, LED int bulb swap

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaylor View Post
    Thank you all, particularly you bullet as I to had a 2004 E55 AMG. I agree with everything you've said as I just returned the rental and it was basically a 4 day test-drive for me in a 2013 V. It was loaded, recarro's, full glass roof, alcantera (SP?) wheel, black on black with black wheels and yellow calipers, the works. And as I plan to mod my V heavily,the mod price is unbeatable!

Thanks again, hopefully it's OK if I lurk here a bit to learn more, this has been very helpful! Already miss my rental.
    Who is renting out Vs, just out of curiosity?
    George

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.