Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth Cons: 1. The V does not seem as responsive as the E. Because I am ...
    austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth
    Cons:

1. The V does not seem as responsive as the E. Because I am still breaking it in, I have not absolutely romped the V yet. But, in my limited "spirited" driving, the V seems much slower to grab you. From a dig, stomping on the E was a violent experience with immediate throttle response. I am hoping that, after the break-in period, I will be as pleased with this as I was the E. (My E ran a 12.3, bone stock and I will be taking the V down the same strip at some point this spring.)
    The GM automatic transmissions factory programming is the blame.. It is just awful.. In all GM models.. It seeks out 6th gear ASAP and doesn't kick down low enough on the highway and is very lazy around town.. Once tuned the car is a different beast.. Also, if you just leave it in D all of the time you will always be starting off in 2nd gear.. That alone will give you a less violence experience.. Slap the shifter over to the right and into sport mode and then romp on it and you will feel the beast as it hurls you from 1st gear to redline in just a few quick seconds.

I recently bought a diablosport Trinity and flashed in the diablosport 93 tune and firm transmission option.. What a huge difference.. Best purchase so far.. 1st to 2nd gear shift drops a nice patch and 2nd to 3rd gear chirps and I haven't even tweaked it out yet.

To the OP.. My friend has a 2004 E55 AMG.. They are very quick but the "V" is the way to go!! He says the newer E63 is slower than his E55 AMG.

heater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V
    Where in AZ?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide

Jaguar XF

AlexTaylor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE - But Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by oneman42 View Post
    Who is renting out Vs, just out of curiosity?
    George
    I few into Atlanta Hartsfield airpot on Monday and they had it right out front of the Hertz Gold Counter. They also had a convertaible Audi RS8. Yes both are not typos. So I got the V!

Really, really enjoyed it for 4 days. Drove it in traffic as well as took it up to 120MPH and it was awesome. Daily driver comfort is imortant for me as I drive 100 miles daily to and from work. This is AZ so the roads are very good and it's actually kind of enjoyable if you're a car guy or have a car you like. Been doing this commute for 6 years now LOL.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by heater View Post
    Where in AZ?
    I live in San Tan Valley/Queen Creek area just off Hunt Highway.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    The GM automatic transmissions factory programming is the blame.. It is just awful.. In all GM models.. It seeks out 6th gear ASAP and doesn't kick down low enough on the highway and is very lazy around town.. Once tuned the car is a different beast.. Also, if you just leave it in D all of the time you will always be starting off in 2nd gear.. That alone will give you a less violence experience.. Slap the shifter over to the right and into sport mode and then romp on it and you will feel the beast as it hurls you from 1st gear to redline in just a few quick seconds.

I recently bought a diablosport Trinity and flashed in the diablosport 93 tune and firm transmission option.. What a huge difference.. Best purchase so far.. 1st to 2nd gear shift drops a nice patch and 2nd to 3rd gear chirps and I haven't even tweaked it out yet.

To the OP.. My friend has a 2004 E55 AMG.. They are very quick but the "V" is the way to go!! He says the newer E63 is slower than his E55 AMG.
    Makes sense, the V it is and I will definite flash the ECU and transmission because I"m guessing GM took this approach for fuel mileage savings. The E55 did the same thing even though it was a 5 speed. "Comfort mode" started in 2nd gear and "Sport mode" started in 1st.

Thanks again.

Alex

----------

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    Jaguar XF
    Thanks for the suggestion. But wouldn't the V blow the doors of an XF? Don't know much about them to be honest. Looking to mod my car heavily so I think V is it. Jag, not sure if you can mod them?

Thanks again.

Alex

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Yeah, the XF is an okay car, but shouldn't even been in this discussion. Even the supercharged 5.0L V8 version can't hang with the V.

Get the V, Alex, and you'll be very happy. To throw another car into the discussion, a buddy just picked up a beautiful blue '13 M5 and he let me take it out for about 30 minutes by myself. The DCT transmission is AWESOME, and the car has a lot of gizmos on the interior. The engine is WAY too quiet, even with the engine noise coming through the stereo speakers and the car felt big. In short, I actually preferred my V overall to the new M5.

Owning a 2010 ZR1 and a 2012 CTS-V which I believe are two of the best overall models GM has ever produced, I personally think the CTS-V is the best overall car GM has ever made in the terms of build quality, substance, interior quality, market competitiveness, and refinement. I do think GM has cars in the pipeline that will be even better like the new C7 and the gen 3 CTS-V. But, right now, I think the V is the cream of the crop in the GM arsenal.

I think the new twin turbo E63 is a very nice car and even the M5 is very nice. Heck, might as well throw in the S6/S7/S8 models from Audi too. But, bang for the buck, and just overall wholesome, reliable, good clean fun and substance, the V is very hard to beat.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

The 2010 XF supercharged and XFR can most assuredly "hang" with the V. On a track the V would outshine it, but for normal driving, we are talking 3-4 10ths at most. The XF is a nice car, the XFR is a really nice car, but they are expensive, and have terrible depreciation which makes purchasing a lightlyused one a winning prop if the car is your thing. Test drive one, they are no joke, no joke at all, and have very nice interiors, arguably better fit than our V's - this sort of retro euro post modern thing going on. I prefer bits and pices of each over the other.

I obviously prefer the V I also really like the XJ supersport, but the Jags are really a different animal, for a different kind of owner. The E63, new ones are really nice cars, and are a very applicable alternative to the 2009+ V. The Benz are a similar animal, but a different price range both in initial cost, and maintenance.

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

Since you want to mod it, go with the V, send it to Lingenfelter or other top quality tuner who will do it right, the FIRST time & have a ball. You know how comfortable & fast it is stock. Imagine how much fun it will be with LPE's 700 hp package.

heater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V
    I'm off Ocitillo and McQueen. Just up the road. We need more V's around here good call!

AlexTaylor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE - But Soon!

Thanks again everyone, a V it is, I've already begun my search. I might go crazy on you all and go with the D3's 4.2L Kenne Bell S/C package that's good up to 1,400 HP. (Per D3's website anyway). Go big or go home! Its' only $10.9K (plus install) so why not swing for the fences.

First though, I'll do some of the cheap/easy mods you all recommend, then save up for the 4.2L S/C.

Much appreciated, my V search as begun!

Alex

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Will it break 12s?

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

NonGoggleGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe - Manual, Opulent Blue, Sunroof, Recaros

No offense, but in my opinion, the D3 is ugly - too "boy-racer-ish." I bought a V Coupe because I like the way it looks just the way it is (among other reasons) and I like the fact that the interior makes it feel almost like a sleeper and the exterior isn't too awfully "busy," which D3 ruins. You may blow the doors off of anything short of a Veyron, but goddamn, you'll look like a tuned Honda Civic doing it. Again, this is just my opinon.

I think that no matter what, you're better off with ANY American car than a Mercedes... and (correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe the new E63AMGs are AWD... that's no fun in my book.

The bottom line is: the V is a better choice no matter what; in price, performance, quality, satisfaction, style, and rarity. Go with the V.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Doesn't everybody in SoCal have a MB or BMW. Dare to be different I say...

Caroutisine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

They are both amazing and similar cars. All you really need to decide is if the AMG is worth the extra $$$.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    I'm sure there are plenty of exotic car rentals that include Vs as a cheaper performance option than the rest of their fleet.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaylor

I few into Atlanta Hartsfield airpot on Monday and they had it right out front of the Hertz Gold Counter. They also had a convertaible Audi RS8. Yes both are not typos.
    An 'RS8' is a typo. R8 yes. RS8 doesn't exist. But awesome you could rent an R8 from Hertz.

I'mAllIn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

Get the wagon. Absolutely useful, cool looking and very rare indeed. Mine is getting ready to go under the knife for a little tweaking; headers, x-pipe, tune, Eibachs, upper pulley, CAI, etc.

Still in love with the car after 9 months of ownership, which is rare for me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.