Interior Trim, plastic or leather?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By cdog533
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Interior Trim, plastic or leather? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have a 2013 V-wagon and I'm trying to do a little interior detailing. Using some Mcguire's leather and plastic ...
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Interior Trim, plastic or leather?

I have a 2013 V-wagon and I'm trying to do a little interior detailing. Using some Mcguire's leather and plastic (two different products) protectant. Each says not to apply to the other material. Some of the interior of the V is clearly plastic. Is the dash, armrests (side and center) and upper door trim cheap leather or nicer plastic? Just want to use the right product on the correct material.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I used an interior car duster to keep it dust and debris free. Then if I needed a spray cleaner, Griots Garage Interior cleaner. Works beautifully on all surfaces...

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Re: Interior Trim, plastic or leather?

For the seats, dash, anything leather or Vinyl, you probably want to use something with a UV Blocker. I like 303 Protectant. http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html Meguiar's Plastx works well on the super soft obsidian black surfaces to remove scratches, but to shine those surfaces you should use a typical spray detailer or spray wax. I like Duragloss Aquawax http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax--951.html Sometimes your local (EDIT) CARQUEST will have Duragloss products which are the same formulations as Zaino in many cases.
    hulksdaddy and hulksdaddy like this.

Interesting...you use an exterior spray wax on the interior?

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Good tips, but what exactly is the material on the dash and doors?? Leather or Vinyl?

Mikes2009V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV
    I repair interiors for a living. The material you are referring to is vinyl. Easiest way to tell on the ctsv is the grain. Natural leather hide which is used on the bolsters of your seat (except where the suede is on the recaros) is virtually smooth with only natural striations from the animals skin. The vinyl used in the ctsv has a prominent grain to it because the material is man made from silicones, etc and is pressed through a machine and the vinyl is actual stamped to give it texture. Also if you have ever torn any of the vinyl panels in your car, you will see that the material is actually glued to a cloth or padded backing. The leather is just a piece of hyde the is stitched together to form items such as a seat cover and is laid onto the foam and not glued Hope this helps.

Definitely helpful. Thanks. How about the middle and side armrests? It's definitely a different material but I still can't tell.

Mikes2009V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25
    Definitely helpful. Thanks. How about the middle and side armrests? It's definitely a different material but I still can't tell.
    That is also vinyl. It is a much thicker vinyl than what is used on the dash pad and the rest of the door panels. For obvious reasons, the material on the armrests has something either resting on it or at least coming in contact with it probably every time you drive the car...and the other areas are very thin, also very easy to damage. Most common spot to see how thin the material is would be on the outer corner of the dash. I probably fix 2-3 cts's a week where the passenger corner of the dash has started to tear and there is a white cloth like material showing underneath.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes2009V View Post

That is also vinyl. It is a much thicker vinyl than what is used on the dash pad and the rest of the door panels. For obvious reasons, the material on the armrests has something either resting on it or at least coming in contact with it probably every time you drive the car...and the other areas are very thin, also very easy to damage. Most common spot to see how thin the material is would be on the outer corner of the dash. I probably fix 2-3 cts's a week where the passenger corner of the dash has started to tear and there is a white cloth like material showing underneath.
    Yep, mine had that and I've seen it in plenty of pics...

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes2009V View Post
    I repair interiors for a living. The material you are referring to is vinyl. Easiest way to tell on the ctsv is the grain. Natural leather hide which is used on the bolsters of your seat (except where the suede is on the recaros) is virtually smooth with only natural striations from the animals skin. The vinyl used in the ctsv has a prominent grain to it because the material is man made from silicones, etc and is pressed through a machine and the vinyl is actual stamped to give it texture. Also if you have ever torn any of the vinyl panels in your car, you will see that the material is actually glued to a cloth or padded backing. The leather is just a piece of hyde the is stitched together to form items such as a seat cover and is laid onto the foam and not glued Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I'll continue to wipe my dash and door panels with a damp micro fiber towel and not waste any leather conditioner on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.