Might Have to Sell Vagon for a More Fuel Efficient (But Fast!) DD Vehicle - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Might Have to Sell Vagon for a More Fuel Efficient (But Fast!) DD Vehicle in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; 3000 miles a month in a V is nearly 1000 bucks in a month in gas, ask me how I ...
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Re: Might Have to Sell Vagon for a More Fuel Efficient (But Fast!) DD Vehicle

3000 miles a month in a V is nearly 1000 bucks in a month in gas, ask me how I know why? In my TDI it's 350 a month in diesel. Soooo, $650 savings a month in fuel costs is $7800.00 per year, plus I keep the V in nice shape and not all beat up as a daily driver like dings in the rims, pitted front end etc. It costs a grand a year to insure my TDI. This does not even count the super high tire replacement costs of the V, the tires on the TDI will go 50,000 miles and are cheap. I really like the TDI, comfortable and the bluetooth audio is great, just put a holder on the dash for my Galaxy cell phone today and can see song artwork and titles as I drive. Sound system in the TDI is much better than the V. TDI is much more easy to park, much better turning radius, easier carefree driving. The V is a great weekend car and loads of fun, just not very practical in the real world.
    IBMike and IBMike like this.

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

I think you've come up with the right answer. In the end, you'll be driving the V which you love, instead of something else, wishing you were in a V. Let the other guys cater to their rational practical side driving some econobox.

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Does the eight year old have to sit in the back? Because otherwise the wicked fast fuel efficient winter-tire-equippable affordably maintained car you're looking for is called the Corvette.
    My 06 LS2 easily returned 30 MPG in real world driving and my 07 Z06 easily returned 26 MPG in real world driving (all hand calculated). There's your cake and eating it too. And there are so many pre-owned "hangar queens" out there being dumped for the C7 one could walk into a nice 11/12/13 C6 for $40K, hell a brand new C7 lists for $51,900.
    Random84 and Random84 like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    My '04 V would get 25mpg all day long on the highway. 27-28 if I really tried...

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC View Post
    3000 miles a month in a V is nearly 1000 bucks in a month in gas, ask me how I know why? In my TDI it's 350 a month in diesel. Soooo, $650 savings a month in fuel costs is $7800.00 per year, plus I keep the V in nice shape and not all beat up as a daily driver like dings in the rims, pitted front end etc. It costs a grand a year to insure my TDI. This does not even count the super high tire replacement costs of the V, the tires on the TDI will go 50,000 miles and are cheap. I really like the TDI, comfortable and the bluetooth audio is great, just put a holder on the dash for my Galaxy cell phone today and can see song artwork and titles as I drive. Sound system in the TDI is much better than the V. TDI is much more easy to park, much better turning radius, easier carefree driving. The V is a great weekend car and loads of fun, just not very practical in the real world.
    Yeah, I hear you. But not sure it is quite that bad, depending on where and how you drive. If mostly highway, 3000 miles/month at 19MPG is 157 gallons, or $630 at $4/gallon. In the TDI, 3000 miles/month at 40MPG is 75 gallons, or $300 at $4/gallon. So maybe $350/month extra in fuel. Unleaded premium and diesel vary but are usually close to the same price. The OP would have about $250 difference at about 2000 miles/month. You might be able to coax a few more MPG out of the V on the highway if driven nicely.

Now, we are comparing apples and oranges though - one of the highest MPG commuter cars against one of the lowest MPG performance sedans. In my mind, that fuel premium is well justified for what you get in the vehicle. It is hard to swallow the extra expense, but if you compare against a more similar vehicle like AMG C/E-class or M3/M5 it isn't as bad. Fuel cost is dwarfed by depreciation in any of these examples anyway, and the V's lower cost of entry (relative to AMG and M cars) helps it in that comparison. Gotta pay to play though and those horses are thirsty.

I just did a quick scan at Tire Rack and found some tires for the V that are not any more than decent tires for my VW, if you are willing to consider something different than Michelin. Also, keep in mind that VW wants a $1000+ timing belt at 130k miles, $500+ DSG fluid changes every 40k. Don't get me wrong, the VW TDI is a good car, heck I bought one. Very comfortable, large, and insane MPG, just a little boring for my taste. Part of my thinking is also that the V wagon is probably the last manual transmission, (very) high performance wagon that we'll see here in the US. I'd love an AMG E estate, but wow those are expensive and still no manual transmission.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. But not sure it is quite that bad, depending on where and how you drive. If mostly highway, 3000 miles/month at 19MPG is 157 gallons, or $630 at $4/gallon. In the TDI, 3000 miles/month at 40MPG is 75 gallons, or $300 at $4/gallon. So maybe $350/month extra in fuel. Unleaded premium and diesel vary but are usually close to the same price. The OP would have about $250 difference at about 2000 miles/month. You might be able to coax a few more MPG out of the V on the highway if driven nicely.

Now, we are comparing apples and oranges though - one of the highest MPG commuter cars against one of the lowest MPG performance sedans. In my mind, that fuel premium is well justified for what you get in the vehicle. It is hard to swallow the extra expense, but if you compare against a more similar vehicle like AMG C/E-class or M3/M5 it isn't as bad. Fuel cost is dwarfed by depreciation in any of these examples anyway, and the V's lower cost of entry (relative to AMG and M cars) helps it in that comparison. Gotta pay to play though and those horses are thirsty.

I just did a quick scan at Tire Rack and found some tires for the V that are not any more than decent tires for my VW, if you are willing to consider something different than Michelin. Also, keep in mind that VW wants a $1000+ timing belt at 130k miles, $500+ DSG fluid changes every 40k. Don't get me wrong, the VW TDI is a good car, heck I bought one. Very comfortable, large, and insane MPG, just a little boring for my taste. Part of my thinking is also that the V wagon is probably the last manual transmission, (very) high performance wagon that we'll see here in the US. I'd love an AMG E estate, but wow those are expensive and still no manual transmission.
    Exactly.

When people try to justify these amazing cost savings, they constantly go worst case scenario for the V and best case scenario for the efficient car. The V's highway mpg will be about 1/2 of the VW. Diesel is more expensive. I bought Hankook V12 evos, installed, for under $900. Brake pads will last as long, or close.

I've got no problems with people looking for more fuel efficient alternatives when DD'n their cars. But be accurate.
    Jinx, Jinx, VMoose and 1 others like this.

One consideration I had too was my Handcycle will fit in the back of the Jetta Wagon, but not the V Wagon, there is just not enough height as the roofline is low.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

10% city and 90% HW and you're only getting 14.8mpg? Are you averaging 110mph?

You can easily get 20mpg out of the caddy on the highway.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post

Yeah, this.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post

I get in the low 15 mpg range, with 70% highway/30% city... Maybe you can get 20+ driving across the country on I-80.

As far as this whole mpg thing, you can really cut gas costs if you don't drive the V at all. And Ownership costs really drop if you just don't buy it in the first place.

Life is too short to drive sucky cars. The MORE miles I drive, the MORE I can justify having a great car like the V. Think of it like this, if you had to watch TV for 4 hours a day, would you want a 13" b/w TV or a 65" HD LED TV?

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    I get in the low 15 mpg range, with 70% highway/30% city... Maybe you can get 20+ driving across the country on I-80.

As far as this whole mpg thing, you can really cut gas costs if you don't drive the V at all. And Ownership costs really drop if you just don't buy it in the first place.

Life is too short to drive sucky cars. The MORE miles I drive, the MORE I can justify having a great car like the V. Think of it like this, if you had to watch TV for 4 hours a day, would you want a 13" b/w TV or a 65" HD LED TV?
    If your post is directed at me you're preaching to the choir. I won't even buy a winter beater here in Canada, I drive my new 2012 V wagon year round through all weather.

I just don't know how he's getting an average of 14.8mpg driving 90% highway. I'm 95% city and 5% highway and manage 15.5mpg average over 10K km.

Instant fuel economy on the highway at 75mph is still 18-19mpg. (I'm a six speed manual so maybe that makes a big difference) I'm by no means a light foot either.

Cheers
    Chris

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

Stick with a gm 4cyl my second car is a Saturn ion redline I know they don't make them any more but you could get your hands on a new turbocharged ss cobalt and that would be fun and get good mileage. The old cobalt and Saturn are supercharged but the new cobalt is a turbo D.I. and has much more output. I average 25 city and 31 hwy, the new ones might be different. They're in the mid-teens for prices. Good luck! Btw I do about 2500 miles per month for work commuting so the V only sees a small fraction of that.

ehrasmuss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

CTS-V 3 (small).jpg
    Get yourself a second Caddy...a VW Caddy. All the usefulness of a pickup truck but the fuel efficiency of a car. See mine in the background behind my Vagon!

GNENSEC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS-V

Bmw 550i

Looks like a VW Jetta wagon in the garage too, VW's Rock!!!. Nice looking V wagon, love the color combo with yellow calipers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.