oil overfill, how serious a problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, oil overfill, how serious a problem? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just discovered that the dealer overfilled the oil when they changed out the oil and filter recently. I checked the ...
    baatar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 12 OBM V Wagon

Question oil overfill, how serious a problem?

Just discovered that the dealer overfilled the oil when they changed out the oil and filter recently. I checked the dipstick and it's well over the full mark. I called and asked them and they said they added 7 quarts and I know our manual says 6. 2012 V wagon.

In the past I've heard some folks say that the excess oil will just burn off but others say it can cause serious issues. Haven't heard one way or the other about the V2.

I'm overseas and have the only V that anyone has ever seen here, so the Caddy dealer clearly isn't used to Vs. If it's a serious issue I can take it back to them and try to have them drain some off, but getting there is not easy so if it will burn off on its own I'll probably take that path. Also I don't have any guarantee they won't mess something else up if I take it back to try to remedy it.

FYI I don't track or drive hard, aside from a few spirited bursts for a few seconds, up on-ramps and such.

What do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Take it back and have them fix it...or drain some yourself and save the headache.

Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Re: oil overfill, how serious a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by baatar View Post
    Just discovered that the dealer overfilled the oil when they changed out the oil and filter recently. I checked the dipstick and it's well over the full mark. I called and asked them and they said they added 7 quarts and I know our manual says 6. 2012 V wagon.

In the past I've heard some folks say that the excess oil will just burn off but others say it can cause serious issues. Haven't heard one way or the other about the V2.

I'm overseas and have the only V that anyone has ever seen here, so the Caddy dealer clearly isn't used to Vs. If it's a serious issue I can take it back to them and try to have them drain some off, but getting there is not easy so if it will burn off on its own I'll probably take that path. Also I don't have any guarantee they won't mess something else up if I take it back to try to remedy it.

FYI I don't track or drive hard, aside from a few spirited bursts for a few seconds, up on-ramps and such.

What do you all think?
    If it was me, and dealer was close. I'd take it in and get them to correct it...

If I was international with a V and this happened. I'd either find a friend, or I'd do it myself and drain the oil, and refill it with the proper amount.

If they screwed up and overfilled it, would it be worthwhile checking to make sure they put the proper oil in, in the first place?

1997BlackETC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

I don't see why people have to overfilling cars so much. Use to drive me nuts when I had my quick lube, I posted fill charts all over the garage, it was a waste of oil and can cause issues. I'd drain off the excess, it's not good being a quart over. You could end up with rear main leakage if driven too much like that.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Nothing bad if you're not beating on it.

Worse thing is extra foamy oil (with poor lubrication) while running, and a blown gasket or seal. If there's no puddle under the car, just drain a quart out, run it for a few minutes, and recheck for proper volume.

It happens.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.