Need quick advice on hooking up battery maintainer to V under the hood
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Need quick advice on hooking up battery maintainer to V under the hood in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; About to store my V, 2013. I found the positive terminal under the hood and pulled off the plastic cap, ...
    1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Need quick advice on hooking up battery maintainer to V under the hood

About to store my V, 2013. I found the positive terminal under the hood and pulled off the plastic cap, do I just hook the negitive to anything metal under the hood, there is the idler pulley next to the positive terminal and that's where I was thinking of hooking the negitive or is there a negitive termal, can't see one? Also is it ok to leave the hood open for the summer with the maintainer hooked up, I mean the alarm won't go off or anything that way right? The hood is currently open and the alarm is not going off, so I guess it's ok, or is it harder on those gas struts with the hood open and maybe I should shut it and just route the cables towards the front of the of the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dccaddyv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackETC
    About to store my V, 2013. I found the positive terminal under the hood and pulled off the plastic cap, do I just hook the negitive to anything metal under the hood, there is the idler pulley next to the positive terminal and that's where I was thinking of hooking the negitive or is there a negitive termal, can't see one? Also is it ok to leave the hood open for the summer with the maintainer hooked up, I mean the alarm won't go off or anything that way right? The hood is currently open and the alarm is not going off, so I guess it's ok, or is it harder on those gas struts with the hood open and maybe I should shut it and just route the cables towards the front of the of the car?
    Hook the negative to one of the studs on the spring tower! It will not hurt the struts to leave the hood up!

Re: Need quick advice on hooking up battery maintainer to V under the hood

Ok will do, thanks for the help, I'll do that. Hooking it up now just to make sure the maintainer charges the battery by the mourning and everything is ok before I leave. I ran some fuel stabilizer through the car today.

Good advice on the strut tower, worked great, car is charging now and going to sleep for the summer. Where I live summers the roads are not good, the V is much better suited to make Florida it's home, so I'll be driving my new VW'b all summer, well that and my 2009 5.3 Colorado which I plan on doing a Supercharger on so that will be my hot rod summers, should be nearly as fast as the V when I'm done with it.

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I bet you will miss the V. Although that will make it more fun to drive in the fall

I thought you traded the Colorado in for the VW.

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Why are the roads bad in summer? Where are you?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by hulksdaddy View Post
    Why are the roads bad in summer? Where are you?
    Rhode Island. Pfft. I drove year round in New England with no issues...

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

I lower my hood to where it just makes contact with the latch (not closed all the way) and route the cables out the side to the Tender which sits on a towel on the windshield cowl.

Oh ya, I'll miss the V big time, I'm from Newport and the roads are like 15 mph and potholes everywhere, much better suited towards the VW. I have another Colorado at my house there, it's a 2009 and thats when the 5.3L had the option for Leather interior, Sunroof, fully loaded. The 2012 I just traded in had cloth and no sunroof, much better off with the VW. Besides that I put a heck of lot of miles on the V this winter and I dont want to be putting another 3000 miles on it round trip from here to R.I, best of leaving the car. I come back to Fla for a couple weeks halfway through the summer so I'll drive it then than the again next fall.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Best of luck with the storage and trip back up to RI. I couldn't imagine knowing I had a V sitting for half the year! Check in from time to time.

Thanks Trap, ya I'll definately check in. Not only was it hard to leave my V, it was hard to leave my house, I just built my dream house there, watched it be built all winter and then as soon as it was done, moved in and 2 days later I'm heading back up north. Oh well, I'm anxious to get out sailing in Newport, nothing like it. My plan is within a couple years to move to fla full time, hence the dream house. The V'dub is running great, averaging 47 mpg on my trip back and no problems, very tight car and comfortable, great travel car. Getting diesel is a little more of a pain in the butt though. I was in NC today trying to get fuel and there was one pump, somebody parked with a lawn car equipment trailer that was shooting the bull out in front of the store and on the other side there was 18 wheeler that had a huge tank and was taking forever. When I finally got up to the pump after the 18 wheeler left the nozzle would not fit into my tank, it was one of those huge truck nozzles with the big fat hose, so I tried the other side of the pump, nope, that one was smaller, but it was a gasoline nozzle on the diesel pump, starting 2013 vw put a lockout on the tanks to keep gas nozzles from fitting in the tank, so that was a no go too, one nozzle was too big and the other too small, lol. I found diesel down the road (more $$$) that had the correct auto diesel nozzle. So ya, you gotta work for the money savings.

Shut up.

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

Manual has a place for the neg jump point. I put the clamp attached to the top on the bolt, not under the washer, to keep it from scraping the painted surface underneath, like I'm afraid I did in the beginning. I've left the hood open for months with what seems to be no negative effect.... Have a safe trip!

Trip when well, the VW is comfortable only when you hit all the bumps on the rough roads in NY and New England you really feel em. I'd much be driving the V, but we all gotta make some sacrafices in life. That's good news about the hood because I just left mine open. I'm probabley going back to Fla mid summer and will drive the car then. Took my truck out for a blast today, it felt like a rocket ship compared the VW, I'm really thinking about doing a STS supercharger on that to bring the HP over 500 and do some drag racing with that this summer. I want to eventually modify my V wagon, it is just not fast enough for me the way it is.

Well, since you're saving all this money in fuel traveling between your two palaces, have fun spending it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.