Headlamp Assembly Condensation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Holtp7
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Headlamp Assembly Condensation in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; How to fix headlamp condensation, easy............ Pulled front spoiler/grill and you will see about a 1/2 inch projection off the ...
    Holtp7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS V

Wink Headlamp Assembly Condensation

How to fix headlamp condensation, easy............ Pulled front spoiler/grill and you will see about a 1/2 inch projection off the bottom of each headlamp assembly which has two holes. They are not drilled completely through. Took 3/16 drill bit and opened both holes on both headlamps. Blew compressed air into hole which cleared up condensation. Have had several cool mornings with frost and ZERO condensation occurred. Previous to the above mod they would fog up. They need to breathe. No further issues. Headlamps are made in Mexico but out sourcing is pretty common. Ford Shelby, Boss 302 and Mustang GT transmissions are made in China. Welcome to the global economy. Love the car, bone stock down to the paper air filter she ran a 7.97 at 91.77 mph in the eighth mile last weekend

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

Re: Headlamp Assembly Condensation

I had a similar question but when my dealership took it in and did an inspection of the headlamps, they said it was normal and that a short drive down the street will generally clear them up. There are already headlight assembly ventilation holes (I suppose that's how the moisture gets in) but you're saying they're not fully opened up? Because the dealership told me what I mentioned above, then it worked and they were clear after I got home.

Actually the dealer told informed me that the headlamps were not vented but sealed units. The reason it clears up when driving is probably due to temperature changes and not the "vent holes working". They were definitely not vented. Looked with a pen light and they were not open and could not blow compressed air into the assembly either. Once drilled they cleared up in about 10 minutes with compressed air and since that time I have had no further problems. The issue is when the outside temp is different than the temp within the "sealed" headlamp. With vent holes the temp is equalized. Think about what happens when you crack open a water bottle and the put the lid back on. You will see condensation. Sealed head lamps eventually are not perfectly sealed and the design is not good anyway, this allows condensation. I had condensation and water beads prior to this mod. Vent holes solve the problem and save you 800 dollars for a new headlamp which could fail the same way
    Club Malibu likes this.

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

I must have assumed wrong about the vent holes, that's just what I figured when they said take it for a ride. It was the day time and the headlights were not on for the ride home either. If you're saying they are not vented then I assume you've looked them over.

Yes, I looked at them up close and personal, not vented. If you keep having issues just drill out the vent holes on each light. I was thinking you might be able to do it with the headlamps still on the car. If you removed the splash guards and went in from under the car, you still might have to loosen the front air dam/spoiler. Except for two bolts that attach the air dam/spoiler to the front fenders and two bolts that attach the grill it is all plastic fasteners. To get to the fender bolts you have to remove the plastic clips for the front of the inner/fender well cover and just pull it back and you will see the bolts. If you got the front air dam/spoiler loose you could probably move it forward enough to create some space to get a small drill with 3/16th bit in there. You just have to be sure to line up the brake vent ducts when you put it back together

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    93&94 STS. Had tail lite condensation issues, the answer was a small vent hole drilled on bottom of lens. Worked well for me.I have a theory auto car wash can bring this condensation on.

FSTCDY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black CTS-V

One of mine had condensation last month and the dealer just replaced it under warranty. But, on my previous sts-v (out of warranty) I discovered that it was due to the ballast cover rubber seal...so I used a hair dryer to clear them up and put petroleum jelly around the seal to keep out moisture. Never had an issue again.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Mine has finally done this after a few years, due to heavy rains. I was told it is a warranty issue also.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Holtp7 View Post
    Yes, I looked at them up close and personal, not vented. If you keep having issues just drill out the vent holes on each light. I was thinking you might be able to do it with the headlamps still on the car. If you removed the splash guards and went in from under the car, you still might have to loosen the front air dam/spoiler. Except for two bolts that attach the air dam/spoiler to the front fenders and two bolts that attach the grill it is all plastic fasteners. To get to the fender bolts you have to remove the plastic clips for the front of the inner/fender well cover and just pull it back and you will see the bolts. If you got the front air dam/spoiler loose you could probably move it forward enough to create some space to get a small drill with 3/16th bit in there. You just have to be sure to line up the brake vent ducts when you put it back together
    Are you still happy with the mod to the lights?
    No more condensation?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.